IGNORED

Steel or Graphite?

Just started thinking about switching to graphite. 77 years old. 20 handicap. Play at least 45 holes a week. Currently using Callaway Steelhead x-16 irons. Hitting them fine most of the time. Golf partner held my 7 iron and commented how heavy it felt compared to his graphite 7 iron.  Wondering now if a lighter weight shaft would improve my game. Opinions?

It's a funny thing: I've swung some steel-shafted clubs that felt uncommonly heavy and others that did not.  One thing graphite shafts do accomplish is to transmit less shock to the wrists than steel.

Except for my 54° and 58° CBX wedges: My clubs all have graphite shafts.  For the two wedges: It was primarily a cost consideration, and they felt fine swinging the steel shafts, so that's the way I went.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to graphite about 10 years ago. Currently 65 years old. I would never think of playing steel shafts. Except for my wedges.  I started playing golf seriously when I was 42. Before that I played fairly competitive tennis. When the graphite tennis racquets came on the scene the wood vanished. There are some teaching pros who tell you real players only play steel. I think that is becoming more myth than reality.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, brian222 said:

Just started thinking about switching to graphite. 77 years old. 20 handicap. Play at least 45 holes a week. Currently using Callaway Steelhead x-16 irons. Hitting them fine most of the time. Golf partner held my 7 iron and commented how heavy it felt compared to his graphite 7 iron.  Wondering now if a lighter weight shaft would improve my game. Opinions?

I use graphite shafts and I'm only 51 years young. I like the feel and I think they look cool. Today's graphite shafts come in a lot of different weights. ... Actually now that I think about it steel shafts also come in a lot of different weights. 

If you are considering new clubs you owe it to yourself to try some different options. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

See if you can take out a demo set somehow.  Or at least go to an outside demo day and hit some.  See if you can compare it to your steel shafted irons using Trackman in addition to how it feels and looks to you.

I’m guessing the Steelheads have lightweight steel like the xp95 so 75 gram graphite won’t be a stretch.  It might feel head heavy though and “seem” heavier than your own irons.

i am trying to like them myself but I prefer the more balanced feel I get from slightly heavier steel than I do from head heavy feel I get from graphite.  Also, you might not pick up any ball or clubhead speed with the lighter shaft… and some people keep the club on plane better and get more solid center strikes with steel.

• Like 1

I've played graphite for about 8 years...well, Aerotech i95, which are a composite including both graphite and steel fibers. I switched when I bought a set of irons at Club Champion that year, and I was able to test them side by side with other shafts. I felt like they didn't have the same spongy, springy feel as other graphite shafts. They felt closer to steel. 

One advantage to graphite can be the vibration reduction, which can help if you have tendonitis. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Graphite shafts give a less punishing effect on the hands with shanks. And for me that’s absolutely paramount. 🥴

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 4 weeks later...

Graphite will give you more speed and are less of a shock. Steel does not have the  torque of graphite which is probably why pros use steel.

Seniors and slower swing speed golfers should use graphite or at least try them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Brown E said:

Seniors and slower swing speed golfers should use graphite or at least try them.

I know its a general question, but is there a profile for someone who might benefit from graphite iron shafts? I've heard you should have a slow swing speed. (Asking for a friend... :-) )  I use KBS tour stiff shafts now.  Primary goal is more distance without giving up ny control.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 4:19 PM, mohearn said:

I know its a general question, but is there a profile for someone who might benefit from graphite iron shafts? I've heard you should have a slow swing speed.

Not necessarily. Consider Bryson DeChambeau. His clubs all have graphite shafts, which he helped develop with the LA Golf company. Also, Rory Sabbatini uses the Graphite Design Tour AD DI Prototypes in his irons.

Yes, graphite shafts give better energy transfer for players with slower swing speeds. That said, modern graphite iron shafts have a weight range from the low 40s to around 125 grams, and a full range of flexes. Examples of the range:

• Light: KBS Max Lite, 45 grams | Ping Distanza Black 40 Soft R, 42 grams | Fuji Sakura Lite, 44 grams
  • Medium: KBS TGI S+, 110 grams | Recoil Proto 95 F4, 90-95 grams
  • Heavy:  AeroTech SteelFiber 125.CW XS, 125 grams | UST Mamiya Recoil 125 F5, 122-125 grams

Some golfers ask which graphite shaft "is a match" for their current steel shaft. Sorry, but their is no 1-to-1 match. You just have to try out the graphites to see which one might work for you.

A few years ago, I still used steel iron shafts. I had tried out different used irons with SteelFiber 110.CW S-flex shafts. Tight groups on dispersion, but distance a full club short of my circa-100 gram steel. To me, midweight SteelFibers feel just as robust as original Project X steel shafts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Some fitters consider SteelFibers to be a combination shaft, as SF has steel strands embedded in the graphite.

Edited by WUTiger
Correct sentence.
  • Like 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 3 weeks later...

Senior golfer here. I tried graphite and did not like the lack of control. I'm guessing you need to get really high-end graphite to get better control. I have tried and recommend the True Temper Elevate 95 shafts. They are steel but do not hurt your joints. Last year's model had inserts but this year's model have no insert and are said to be vibration free like the previous model. 

• Thumbs Up 1