IGNORED

2023 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

Chip-in for birdie on the 1st on Friday evening. Duplicate, but it seems like I have remembered how to make birdies.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I only need 4, 11, 16 and 18 to complete the Home Course Birdie Slam 2023. 

Started Friday with birdies on 1 and 2. Saturday was a rain fest and exercise in patience. Sunday saw birdies at 2 and 12 (both par 5s). I was on the green on 4 (left the putt 3" short), 11 from 40 feet and a routine 2 putt, and then on 16 with a wicked breaker that had a chance. 

So a question to the group, do you think about the holes you have to knock off when you are playing? Its hard to block it out, but I do a pretty decent job. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

9th today I hit a low 5 iron through the green and on to the back fringe. 30 feet or so and dropped the bomb for a bird. First of the year. Only have 18 holes in (pair of 9’s) as I’m coming off a mid April broken toe that set me back for the season. Well it’s a start.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

• Administrator

Chipped in on 11 today (par three) for a birdie. Wasn't even my wedge. I had mistakenly grabbed the 48° wedge. 😄 

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Birdie Fest today with 4! Starting off on a bogey on #2 by trying to carry the green after a monster drive on 2, I walked with a penalty and bogey. Bounced back on 3 with birdie, lipped out on 4 (I need that one) and followed up on 7, 14, and 15. Great day! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

Knocked off 2 with a 35-footer and 9 with a five-footer today at the home course.

Still have… 1, 4, 8, 10, and 13-18. Not worried about 8 or 13. 14-18 and 1 (because I rarely warm up) will be tough. But… it's early June.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Today saw a kick-in from a foot on 14 and then I finally made one at 16 to check that box. Sixteen is par 3 over a swamp at a 175 and has a severely sloping green. I hit 7 iron 15 feet left of the red flag (playing 163) and had a right to left putt across the slope that broke 18 inches into the top of the cup. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Made birdie on #11 at Quail Brook yesterday but it’s a duplicate. Too bad, because it was a high baby draw that started right at the pin and just turned a little at the end.

J/K, I thinned it so badly that it never got two feet off the ground, managed to fly a ravine and hit it on the upslope to slow it down and it finished 12’ left of the hole 😂

• Funny 3

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Added the fifth hole today.

Which was… the… first hole at Jeffersonville Golf Club. But it's the fifth now!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Added the fifth hole today.

Which was… the… first hole at Jeffersonville Golf Club. But it's the fifth now!

And I birdied #13, which was the ninth? I don’t know. Keeping track of the old routing vs the new routing confused me a bit so I didn’t spend much energy on it.

It’s #13 on GHIN and on the scorecard so it’s going up as #13 on the challenge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, billchao said:

It’s #13 on GHIN and on the scorecard so it’s going up as #13 on the challenge.

Yep. GHIN and ShotScope (the website) seem to have been updated with the "new" routing.

• Administrator

Made four birdies today: 6 and 7 were duplicates, 15 and 16 were new. Glad to get those. I'm down to eight remaining.

1, 4, and 8 on the front nine.

10, 13, 14, 17, and 18 on the back nine. 13 I thought I got today.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

I made a 65-footer after my approach spun to the front of the green on nine, and thought it was needed, but I see I've already birdied #9. Ho hum. And I should have known: I just made the post above yesterday. So, no changes.

I did birdie #7 again today, though.

Never have had all "pars" this early in the season.   Have four birdies completed and can say that I've had opportunities for such at all the holes at Minnesott at one time or another.  Would be a major milestone to complete the year with birdies on all the holes.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Obviously a bit late signing up for this one as half the year is gone, but I'm going to try it anyways as it seems like I'm going to be able to play a little bit more. I don't have a "home" course anymore as I'll be playing once every week or so, but at multiple different courses.I likely won't have more than 5 or 6 rounds at any particular course.

I got off to a decent start yesterday and had 2 birdies on the Gary Player Course at Mission Hills (numbers 13 and 15). I don't think that I'll be able to get all 18 (or even 18 birdies, regardless of the hole) but it'll be fun to see what I can accomplish.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

It's been a limited, but disgraceful start to the year for me, but finally got a couple of birds over the weekend to bring me up to 3. 

Killed a drive on the short-par 4 No. 6 and hit a decent chip to set up the tap in. Two days later, I made a 35-footer uphill on the par-3 No. 7 from the fringe that went center-cup. 

It's nine holes only per outing for me so far this year and I've only been on the back nine one time all year. I'll figure it good enough if I manage to cover the front by year's end.  

Edited by mcanadiens

Dunked a PW from 132 yards for an eagle on Friday.  Putter screwed me out of knocking both the back 9 par 5s off my list Monday.  It was horrible in a scramble over the weekend too, so it has found it's way to the bench for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

John

23 hours ago, tristanhilton85 said:

I don't think that I'll be able to get all 18 (or even 18 birdies, regardless of the hole) but it'll be fun to see what I can accomplish.

You never know what may happen, especially if you play more. I only had nine holes all of last year. I have nine holes already this year and summer just started.

1 hour ago, SG11118 said:

Dunked a PW from 132 yards for an eagle on Friday.  Putter screwed me out of knocking both the back 9 par 5s off my list Monday.  It was horrible in a scramble over the weekend too, so it has found it's way to the bench for a while.

You should try putting with a wedge 😉

Bill

My Swing Thread