IGNORED

The Pro Tours Random Thoughts and Musings Thread

colin007

This  is  certainly  one reason golf ratings are  plummeting

Nonexistent negotiations and missed opportunities for reconciliation between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf have the sport stuck in place.

"Golf’s moment of truth is here, and the sport is badly flailing. Half the sport’s best or most notable players play on one tour, half on the other. They all only come together at the four majors — the next one, the PGA Championship, tees off next week — and then spiral off into their own tournaments, cashing massive checks in front of rapidly dwindling audiences."

Here  is another reason. Xander Schauffele hit an unplayable shot  on his  last  hole but  instead  of taking a  penalty  he and the  idiot  official decided some  cable was  in the way(it wasnt) and  he  got to get a free  placement  of  his  ball with a  clear shot to the green. Soft players and enabling  officials are  helping  tank ratings. If  i were the  official it  would  be  take a penalty  or  hit it where  it  lies.

Same dumb schtick since joining.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jxdama said:

Soft players and enabling  officials are  helping  tank ratings.

No, that's not another reason.

Ratings dropped after the baseball strike years ago, too.

Also, Jim Nantz had reasons why he thought ratings were down (and would likely be up next year, LIV aside) on the NLU podcast from earlier this week.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

Also, Jim Nantz had reasons why he thought ratings were down (and would likely be up next year, LIV aside) on the NLU podcast from earlier this week.

Well color  me shocked!! Now why in the world would Jim Nantz be hoping ratings will be  up?

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

One thing baseball just did to make the  games more watchable was to install a  pitch clock and speed  up play. The PGA should  learn from this and start  issuing  penalties instead  of  meaningless warnings for  slow  play.

Same dumb schtick since joining.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, jxdama said:

Well color  me shocked!! Now why in the world would Jim Nantz be hoping ratings will be  up?

That's not what I said. Read it again.

One thing baseball just did to make the  games more watchable was to install a  pitch clock and speed  up play.

I wasn't talking about what baseball just did.

The PGA

The PGA is not involved with this. They run the PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Also, the drop was legit:

‘Most ridiculous thing I’ve seen’: Golf fans fume at US star‘s unbelievably lucky break

The rules don't exist only to punish golfers.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Also, the drop was legit:

‘Most ridiculous thing I’ve seen’: Golf fans fume at US star‘s unbelievably lucky break

The rules don't exist only to punish golfers.

I ran across an interesting new clip, Johnson Wagner went into that spot with the Referee who allowed the relief.  Apparently there was a perfectly reasonable shot to be made, as Johnson clearly demonstrated, so relief from the TIO was perfectly appropriate.

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator

A perceptive rules question by Xander Schauffele’s caddie, Austin Kaiser, unlocked “dead zone” relief during the Wells Fargo Championship.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rory.. statement win! I'm ready for a viking battle at Valhalla. Let's go!

• Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.

PGA News 1:30 pm : "Scottie Scheffler's PGA Championship interview will be at 3:30 pm Tuesday.

PGA Championship field 1:31 pm: "Dammit"

• Funny 2

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

One has to assume the baby is born then. Good for them, not so good for the rest of the field.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

PGA Tour star Rory McIlroy filed for divorce from his wife Erica on Monday, court records in Florida showed. They married in April 2017.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

Wins the week before and files for divorce the same week. I’m not putting money on Rory.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

On 5/9/2024 at 4:45 PM, jxdama said:

This  is  certainly  one reason golf ratings are  plummeting

Nonexistent negotiations and missed opportunities for reconciliation between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf have the sport stuck in place.

"Golf’s moment of truth is here, and the sport is badly flailing. Half the sport’s best or most notable players play on one tour, half on the other. They all only come together at the four majors — the next one, the PGA Championship, tees off next week — and then spiral off into their own tournaments, cashing massive checks in front of rapidly dwindling audiences."

Here  is another reason. Xander Schauffele hit an unplayable shot  on his  last  hole but  instead  of taking a  penalty  he and the  idiot  official decided some  cable was  in the way(it wasnt) and  he  got to get a free  placement  of  his  ball with a  clear shot to the green. Soft players and enabling  officials are  helping  tank ratings. If  i were the  official it  would  be  take a penalty  or  hit it where  it  lies.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the word “golf” and the phrase “moment of truth” collide in the same sentence.  

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Zeph said:

Wins the week before and files for divorce the same week. I’m not putting money on Rory.

When he broke up with Caroline he won like five events in a row, including two majors.

This didn't just happen Monday morning — this has been going on for awhile, and he won his last two starts.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

When he broke up with Caroline he won like five events in a row, including two majors.

This didn't just happen Monday morning — this has been going on for awhile, and he won his last two starts.

I agree. this wasn't decided Sunday night. Maybe a weight was lifted off his shoulders a few weeks ago and got him more relaxed. I wonder it will be brought up in his presser tomorrow? I'd like to think out of respect they will focus on golf but some one will bring it up I'm sure.