IGNORED

Hello From Sunny Kansas

BKellyS

Hi, my name is Kelly from Wichita, Kansas.  I retired last month after 39 1/2 years as an aerospace design engineer at Boeing which became Spirit Aerosystems.  So, if you have flown on any Boeing airplane some parts I designed probably helped get you there 🙂.  Anyways... I am a late starter, I took up golf in 2013 at the age of 52 when I took some lessons with my son.  I have played fairly regularly in the 10 years since, as allowed by Kansas weather and life commitments.  As mentioned, I just retired so this year at age 62 I expect to get in more rounds, 51 rounds so far and golfing often 3 times a week this summer.   I have a big excel spreadsheet (it's part of the engineer's code, lol) where I keep track of all my rounds, and summarize at the end of the year:

image.png.a3c852cf64c6f39b0f0692e8063d8453.png

My current AVERAGE in 2023 is 92.2 so on track to improve by 1.7 strokes from last year.  I use the SwingU golf app which figures my current handicap as 12.8.  I'm not sure whether to believe it because my typical round is more like 18-20 over but I have several recent rounds in the mid 80's, as low as 84.

What has surprised me is that it took me 10 years to get down to near bogey golfer, I consider myself athletically "average" but did start late in life.

On the other hand I am happy that I am still improving, and happy with my improvements this year even.  Starting late in life I wondered and still wonder when my aging will overtake improving skill.  It has not happened yet, this year I feel like I am continuing to improve even more than last year, especially since I am playing a lot after retiring.  I have been working a lot on short game , especially chipping and pitching more consistently.  I feel this has improved my overall striking in recent weeks. 

I've been a lurker at TST but thought I'd jump in since I have more time now to work on my golf game.  I am pretty obsessed recently and practice pretty much every day in some fashion, mostly hitting foam balls or practicing chipping and pitching in my family room with 9' ceilings :).  

Anyway, nice to "meet" you!

Kelly, aka BKellyS 

Edited by BKellyS
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, BKellyS said:

I've been a lurker at TST but thought I'd jump in since I have more time now to work on my golf game.  I am pretty obsessed recently and practice pretty much every day in some fashion, mostly hitting foam balls or practicing chipping and pitching in my family room with 9' ceilings :).  

Impressive @BKellyS.

Welcome to TST.   That is a very nice introduction.  We're glad you've decided to participate.  

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Glad you found us. Welcome.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Welcome to the TST @BKellyS

I have to tell you. Growing up for what ever reason my mom used to listen Tex Ritter songs. 
He has a song called Wichita. Every time I hear the name of the town of Wichita, Kansas I still hear the Tex Ritter song in my head. 

Tex Ritter Wichita Lyrics
Wichita! (Wichita!) Wichita! (Wichita)! Wichita
In the town of Wichita, old Kansas
There was a man, a man of peace
Things were wild in Wichita, old Kansas
He told them all, "This killing must cease!"

He shot it out with the worst men in Wichita
Made every man lay his pistol down
No one fooled with the Marshall of Wichita
And today it's a very nice town

Back in Wichita, law and order prevail
Take me back to Wichita, let me ride that Wichita trail

He had a girl, and he courted and married her
She added love to his great renown
Folks still speak of the Marshall of Wichita
And today it's a very nice town. A very nice town

Back in Wichita, law and order prevail
Take me back to Wichita, let me ride that Wichita trail

Anyway, welcome to the TST. 

T

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 hours ago, BKellyS said:

Hi, my name is Kelly from Wichita, Kansas.  I retired last month after 39 1/2 years as an aerospace design engineer at Boeing which became Spirit Aerosystems.  So, if you have flown on any Boeing airplane some parts I designed probably helped get you there 🙂.  Anyways... I am a late starter, I took up golf in 2013 at the age of 52 when I took some lessons with my son.  I have played fairly regularly in the 10 years since, as allowed by Kansas weather and life commitments.  As mentioned, I just retired so this year at age 62 I expect to get in more rounds, 51 rounds so far and golfing often 3 times a week this summer.   I have a big excel spreadsheet (it's part of the engineer's code, lol) where I keep track of all my rounds, and summarize at the end of the year:

image.png.a3c852cf64c6f39b0f0692e8063d8453.png

My current AVERAGE in 2023 is 92.2 so on track to improve by 1.7 strokes from last year.  I use the SwingU golf app which figures my current handicap as 12.8.  I'm not sure whether to believe it because my typical round is more like 18-20 over but I have several recent rounds in the mid 80's, as low as 84.

What has surprised me is that it took me 10 years to get down to near bogey golfer, I consider myself athletically "average" but did start late in life.

On the other hand I am happy that I am still improving, and happy with my improvements this year even.  Starting late in life I wondered and still wonder when my aging will overtake improving skill.  It has not happened yet, this year I feel like I am continuing to improve even more than last year, especially since I am playing a lot after retiring.  I have been working a lot on short game , especially chipping and pitching more consistently.  I feel this has improved my overall striking in recent weeks. 

Anyway, nice to "meet" you!

Kelly, aka BKellyS 

Welcome, looking forward to getting to know you.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• iacas changed the title to Hello From Sunny Kansas

Welcome to TST and thank you for the interesting introduction. Enjoy the game, and the forums here.

Nave

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Welcome to the TST @BKellyS

I have to tell you. Growing up for what ever reason my mom used to listen Tex Ritter songs. 
He has a song called Wichita. Every time I hear the name of the town of Wichita, Kansas I still hear the Tex Ritter song in my head. 
Tex Ritter Wichita Lyrics ...

That's awesome, thanks!  I hadn't heard that before, so I found it on youtube and watched it.  Actually, I play guitar in a local classic rock band as my other big hobby, so I am very into music, mainly (all) rock but also OLD country music.  Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to TST! Looks like we’ve got someone else to dazzle us with spreadsheets and diagrams @boogielicious! Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Greetings from the Space Coast of Florida, where we have more classic rock cover bands per capita than anywhere else in the US. 😀

• Like 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

I work as a estimator/project manager for a commercial frame/doors/hardware distributor.  I work in office three days a week and from home when needed.  Try to play 9 holes 2-3 times per week. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, TomR13 said:

I work as an estimator/project manager for a commercial frame/doors/hardware distributor.  I work in office three days a week and from home when needed.  Try to play 9 holes 2-3 times per week. 

Welcome to The Sand Trap!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave