IGNORED

Golf Is Becoming Too Much Like Other Sports?

iacas

Golf is Becoming Too Much Like Other Sports  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with the article? No fence-sitting — pick one. 😀

• I agree with the article for the most part.
    • I disagree with the article for the most part.

23 minutes ago, CrashTestDummy said:

I'm just debating the subject. Saying you don't know examples of the rules etiquette being broken tells me you don't know what the rules of etiquette are. 

Well, not really. It’s already understood that we all know the rules of golf course etiquette. That’s not the subject. YOU stated it’s gotten worse and others are saying they don’t see that. You can’t just make such a claim then expect others to accept your observation without any data on it. They states they’ve volunteered, coached and played lots of tournaments and don’t see hat you’re claiming. It’s now simply being asked what YOU have witness to the contrary. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, CrashTestDummy said:

The examples are not adhering to all those rules of etiquette. Over the years, I have seen all those rules of etiquette being broken. 

I do not need to write all of those things. You know what they are. Are you just trying to troll? 

At this point you're being the troll. Answer the question.

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

YOU stated it’s gotten worse and others are saying they don’t see that. You can’t just make such a claim then expect others to accept your observation without any data on it.

That x 3.

I'm just debating the subject. Saying you don't know examples of the rules etiquette being broken tells me you don't know what the rules of etiquette are.  

That's not what he said. Or what I've said. We've said we don't see an increase in the number of rules of etiquette being broken.

You have said you have.

So, give some examples.

I don't think this you folks like any debate, discussion, or opinions that don't align with your opinions and take them as a threat. I'm just discussion the debate. Forums are supposed to be for discussion and debate.  

We're literally asking you to give examples so that we can discuss and debate it. FFS, man.

My pet theory is that this is a "back in my day" situation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

You're the one suggesting there's big change, so I asked you to give some.

My daughter played junior and now college golf. I coached college golf. I teach golf, and have played at private clubs and public courses.

Some places don't have executive courses. And… hitting driver can be fun.

Not sure what your golf credentials have to do with the discussion, but if you want to discuss credentials as being relevant. Here are mine, I have playing golf since I was 5, played competitive junior golf, been in the golf scene my entire life. Have family members that played professional golf, one is on a full ride scholarship for golf at D1 school right now and been playing PGA qualifiers. I have worked at golf course, worked at a golf architecture firm, coached and caddie for junior golf, and currently affiliated with a golf company. Still not sure how any of that is relevant though. 

• Confused 2

• Administrator
1 minute ago, CrashTestDummy said:

but if you want to discuss credentials as being relevant

I don't. I just want you to give examples of the increased lack of etiquette that you claim to see, seeing as how it is not being seen by several others, including me.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

At this point you're being the troll. Answer the question.

That x 3.

That's not what he said. Or what I've said. We've said we don't see an increase in the number of rules of etiquette being broken.

You have said you have.

So, give some examples.

We're literally asking you to give examples so that we can discuss and debate it. FFS, man.

My pet theory is that this is a "back in my day" situation.

I see an increase of a lot of the rules of etiquette being broken. Okay, I will point out the obvious examples for you, since you must live in a bubble where people strictly adhere to the rules of etiquette around you. Hitting into people (many not accidentally because people are in direct sight in the fairway), not yelling fore.  Talking, talking on cellphones, not having cell phones on mute, and moving around when people are hitting. Loud music, loud disruptive behavior on the golf course, stepping in lines, etc, etc, Just inconsiderate of any of the other golfers on the course. Are you happy now? 😜

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't. I just want you to give examples of the increased lack of etiquette that you claim to see, seeing as how it is not being seen by several others, including me.

Then why did you feel the need to list your credentials? 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, CrashTestDummy said:

Hitting into people (many not accidentally because people are in direct sight in the fairway), not yelling fore.  Talking, talking on cellphones, not having cell phones on mute, and moving around when people are hitting. Loud music, loud disruptive behavior on the golf course, stepping in lines, etc, etc, Just inconsiderate of any of the other golfers on the course. Are you happy now? 😜

I see more people playing music on the course, but I don't know that I agree it's a breach of etiquette. Occasionally, someone's playing it a bit too loud, sure. That's one example on which we can find some common ground.

But… I also imagine that if people had bluetooth speakers in 1985, they'd have done the same thing.

I haven't seen what I'd call an increase in the other examples you gave in the last 30 years. I think you're being a bit "back in my day" about it all.

21 hours ago, iacas said:

I honestly don't see it much, either.

Please give some examples.

See how easy that was? If only you'd just done that 21 hours ago.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I see more people playing music on the course, but I don't know that I agree it's a breach of etiquette. Occasionally, someone's playing it a bit too loud, sure. That's one example on which we can find some common ground.

But… I also imagine that if people had bluetooth speakers in 1985, they'd have done the same thing.

I haven't seen what I'd call an increase in the other examples you gave in the last 30 years.

See how easy that was? If only you'd just done that 21 hours ago.

You don't find common ground on the other breaches of etiquette I mentioned? That seems odd to me. 

It was obvious to me if you play enough golf and know the rules of etiquette, you know what breaches rules of etiquette have increased over the years. You really must be in a bubble where people strictly adhere to the etiquette rules. Must be nice. 

• Administrator

It was obvious to me if you play enough golf and know the rules of etiquette, you know what breaches rules of etiquette have increased over the years. You really must be in a bubble where people strictly adhere to the etiquette rules. Must be nice.

Or maybe I just remember what things were like 20 years ago more accurately.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or maybe I just remember what things were like 20 years ago more accurately.

I know what things were like 20 years ago and disruptions on the course have definitely increased over the years. Like I said, you must live in a bubble where random strangers around you are more respectful to you and strictly follow the rules of etiquette. Must be nice. 

• Administrator

I know what things were like 20 years ago and disruptions on the course have definitely increased over the years. Like I said, you must live in a bubble where random strangers around you are more respectful to you and strictly follow the rules of etiquette. Must be nice. 

Cool.

I disagree. So do a few others, it seems like.

On 1/30/2024 at 8:08 AM, klineka said:

as the baby boomer generation phases out of the game and eventually will no longer be a living demographic.

I’m a boomer and plan on being a “living demographic” for quite a while, and hope to golf to the very end, 🤞

I get what you are saying about generational differences and change.  100 years ago men wore ties when golfing and I am glad that changed.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, CrashTestDummy said:

Hitting into people (many not accidentally because people are in direct sight in the fairway), not yelling fore.  Talking, talking on cellphones, not having cell phones on mute, and moving around when people are hitting. Loud music, loud disruptive behavior on the golf course, stepping in lines,

I’ve been golfing for over 20 years

I do not see people purposely hitting into others.  I’ve see it unintentional and even hit into a group once myself, but never expected to hit a 300 yard drive.  It was a fluke,

I hear “Fore” most times before a ball comes my way.  Not always but often and it is no worse today than 30 years ago.

talking on cell phones is worse today, I agree on that one.

i’ve heard some loud music but not all that often.

People I golf with try not to step in lines, but occasionally it happens.

i am thinking you have the misfortune of golfing with a bunch of idiots that fortunately do not encounter

• Confused 1

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

6 minutes ago, StuM said:

I’ve been golfing for over 20 years

I do not see people purposely hitting into others.  I’ve see it unintentional and even hit into a group once myself, but never expected to hit a 300 yard drive.  It was a fluke,

I hear “Fore” most times before a ball comes my way.  Not always but often and it is no worse today than 30 years ago.

talking on cell phones is worse today, I agree on that one.

i’ve heard some loud music but not all that often.

People I golf with try not to step in lines, but occasionally it happens.

i am thinking you have the misfortune of golfing with a bunch of idiots that fortunately do not encounter

So, you have been playing golf for 20 years, but you don't see it any worse today than 30 years ago? How do you know what it was like 30 years ago, if you have only been playing golf for 20 years?

I have experience countless times over the years being in the middle of the fairway waiting for the green to clear and the behind group hits balls into me or the group without yelling fore. It is not a good excuse to say that you didn't think you would hit it that far. Why not just way till the fairway clears? 

Perhaps the powers that be put a lot of inconsiderate golfers around me. 

2 minutes ago, CrashTestDummy said:

Maybe it's just confirmation bias. You're not going to remember the countless other times things don't happen to you. You haven't documented these instances so you can't objectively quantify if there is an increase in breach of etiquette over the years, right? It's just something you feel is true and therefore you're more aware of times when things happen.

The past is always great because we tend to look at it with rose-colored glasses on.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, CrashTestDummy said:

So, you have been playing golf for 20 years, but you don't see it any worse today than 30 years ago? How do you know what it was like 30 years ago, if you have only been playing golf for 20 years?

I have experience countless times over the years being in the middle of the fairway waiting for the green to clear and the behind group hits balls into me or the group without yelling fore. It is not a good excuse to say that you didn't think you would hit it that far. Why not just way till the fairway clears? 

I was on golf courses in high school, 40+ years ago but was not serious about golf until @ 20 years ago.

I feel that, to keep pace of play, if players are out of your range you should play and my typical drive is @ 225 so if  you are 300 out I am hitting.

I do get frustrated when people are waiting in a fairway on a par 5 waiting for the green to clear when they are 300 yards out.  Most players can’t hit that far from a fairway.  Still, I do not intentionally hit into them and have not seen others do it.

Edited by StuM
Fixed typos
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

1 hour ago, CrashTestDummy said:

the problem is slow golfers now..they are slower now because in the old days you could hit into their group without having to worry to much about being sued..if you are getting hit at all the time you are too frigging slow..while out for a walk I stopped to hopefully watch some shots into a green..golfer walked 150 yards or more up from his cart up without any clubs to survey his 75yish shot to the green with groups behi nd his groups. Then he waddled back to the cart and back to his with two wedges and no putter and airmailed the green  ..i had to tell him where his ball went. One course i played 18 holes in 2h 15 walking in the fall and in 5h30m in a cart on a not that crowded day in the summer..3hrs 15 minute of waiting..speed up!

24 minutes ago, hoganbenn said:

the problem is slow golfers now..they are slower now because in the old days you could hit into their group without having to worry to much about being sued..if you are getting hit at all the time you are too frigging slow..while out for a walk I stopped to hopefully watch some shots into a green..golfer walked 150 yards or more up from his cart up without any clubs to survey his 75yish shot to the green with groups behi nd his groups. Then he waddled back to the cart and back to his with two wedges and no putter and airmailed the green  ..i had to tell him where his ball went. One course i played 18 holes in 2h 15 walking in the fall and in 5h30m in a cart on a not that crowded day in the summer..3hrs 15 minute of waiting..speed up!

I disagree with you that if you are getting hit into, you are slow. The vast majority of times over the years that I or the group has gotten hit into, we in the middle of the fairway and we were waiting for the green to clear. Players should absolutely not be hitting into groups. If groups are too slow in front and they have nobody in front of them, ask to play through. 

9 hours ago, CrashTestDummy said:

I disagree with you that if you are getting hit into, you are slow. The vast majority of times over the years that I or the group has gotten hit into, we in the middle of the fairway and we were waiting for the green to clear. Players should absolutely not be hitting into groups. If groups are too slow in front and they have nobody in front of them, ask to play through. 

I agree with you here. No one should ever hit into the group in front on purpose.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave