IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Ass

iacas
Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, golf dad said:

Poulter is not an ass! He shot a Titleist commercial at our golf club  could not have been more fun,social with the membership.  Had everyone in stitches and never stopped interacting with the kids. He even stayed  enjoyed dinner at the club cracking up the staff. Must be a different person or just more competitive on the course as many of the golfers are.

So you’ve had an experience where he wasn’t an ass. Others have had experiences where he was. I think the sentiment has leaned toward ‘ass’ due to the nature of some of his doings/behavior. Any one can have an ass moment. It just seems like Poulter has had a good share of moments that only an ass would do. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/6/2018 at 2:09 PM, GolfLug said:

Do you know of someone who uses their celebrity bully pulpit to misdirect their frustration on an unsuspecting bystander? He saves his decency for his family so yeah, he seems a good family guy. Thats all well and good.

I don't know what you mean by 'really bad things' but he is a bully. I don't understand how you are  missing that aspect of his persona. It's hard for me to like people like that. It's not just about being cocky or showy. I would easily give him a pass if that's all it was. 

I don't agree at all that he's a bully - there's a big difference between somebody having an angry outburst, which is really just a loss of temper (and who hasn't lost their temper, at least to some degree?) and a bully. If he'd then sought to have those spectators removed, as indeed some golfers do , then perhaps I could see that, but I don't take that sort of malice from the reported incident at all.  

And I just don't think it's Poulter at all - he's a warm person, a passionate guy that sometimes gets hot under the collar, but bullying just doesn't seem his sort of thing. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Moxley said:

And I just don't think it's Poulter at all - he's a warm person, a passionate guy that sometimes gets hot under the collar, but bullying just doesn't seem his sort of thing. 

I can't agree. He's bullied fans that are out there taking pictures of him on a random Tuesday at Jack Nicklaus's tournament. I've seen him bully officials and volunteers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've seen Lee Trevino do it, Allenby do it, Vijay do it, Tiger do it, Greg Norman do it.. the list goes on and on.  Jack Nicklaus treated my best friend like crap during a business meeting (that was just an introduction to prep for a medication ad). I've been an ass to people. My dad's done it. So has my mom.  We're just human.  Taking one or two incidents out of a lifetime isn't really fair.  

Not my grandmas though, they were saints.

Edited by 3jacker
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I've not read the whole thread, just the last couple of pages but I have to say I can see why he would draw the term 'ass' from Americans 😁

Was chatting with a golf friend over the RC weekend and we both agreed he is certainly full of himself and likes the spotlight and, to be honest, I find all the chest thumping and hollering a bit over the top - not just from him, mind.  It's golf not football!   That said I'm not sure he deserves the 'ass' label as we can all be a bit of a 'dick' from time to time.  

I think the acid test is "Would he be good to have a few pints with?"  I'd say one or two, aye, but I get the sense he'd be talking about Ian at length once he'd had a few 😉

• Administrator
11 hours ago, 3jacker said:

Taking one or two incidents out of a lifetime isn't really fair.

How about fifteen to twenty?

I can attest to having seen at least that many.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Poulter loses his cool; he isn't the first and won't be the last.  Poulter swears; again, hardly unique.  Poulter deflects from his own shortcomings by blaming others... and occasionally takes things out on people that don'e deserve it... (and, in fact, the one time I did meet him I thought he was quite weird).

But the guy has played his way up from nowhere; has over 500 events under his belt on European and PGA Tours (in those terms, is 15-20 incidents such a big deal?); is one of the best Ryder Cup (which, in my eyes, is the greatest golf competition in the world) golfers of all time; and uses his platform for a lot of good causes. 

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt (and continue to watch the 2012 Ryder Cup DVD on a monthly basis and get teary every time the Saturday afternoon rolls around).

• Administrator
9 hours ago, arab_joe said:

But the guy has played his way up from nowhere; has over 500 events under his belt on European and PGA Tours (in those terms, is 15-20 incidents such a big deal?); is one of the best Ryder Cup (which, in my eyes, is the greatest golf competition in the world) golfers of all time; and uses his platform for a lot of good causes. 

Uhmmm…

11 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

Depends on how old you are I guess lol

… You both seem to have misunderstood.

Those are 15-20 events I have personally witnessed. And I don't follow Ian Poulter around the PGA Tour let alone around the world, and I see him at most two to three times per year, and often zero to one.

So ok. Poulter is a bit of an ass.

Then again, wouldn't the world be a more boring place with out a few asses. The only thing pro sports is good for is entertainment and the entertainment is much better with the proverbial black hat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt (and continue to watch the 2012 Ryder Cup DVD on a monthly basis and get teary every time the Saturday afternoon rolls around).

You keep rewording your posts but they keep saying you are giving him the green light to S#!t on people because he wins during sporting events that are important to you. I just don't see it as "okay." I can honestly say I don't give two "@#$%s" about Ryder Cup but I like golf. I don't like people who are douches. If he is "douchy" to people, he can have 10 gold medals but he will still be in the garbage can. We are obviously polar opposites.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

12 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I can honestly say I don't give two "@#$%s" about Ryder Cup...

We are obviously polar opposites.

Yes we are - when I was a kid putting it was always "this is to win the Ryder Cup for Europe" and can honestly say that I prefer it to any other tournament.  Hence why Poults will forever be a legend to me. 

But hey, life would be boring if we all held the same opinions!

I personally have not seen Poulter be an ass but I have seen some of the other players that have been mentioned throughout this thread be real pricks. A lot of those guys live in Florida and I had occasions to witness some of the guys who live in the Orlando area. There are actually a couple more that have not been mentioned (who have won a couple green jackets) that are especially "douchey". As a matter of fact, one of them just sucked it up at the Ryder Cup.😏 And as mentioned above...I have seen Lee Trevino many times in person and he is not the same guy "off camera" as he is when the camera is on him. All that being said, they live in a world that I am not familiar with. Maybe it changes you?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

It probably does.  Having people kissing your ass all the time; I'm sure it leads to a bit of a little caesar syndrome. 

I mean... if people threw money and compliments at me all day I don't know what I'd be like.  I don't overestimate my self-control on this, either.

Probably end somewhere on the spectrum between Poults and Caligula.

Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!