IGNORED

How far do you hit your irons?

drs6222
Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guessing his "you can count on it yardages" are in the middle of some distribution of decent shots (ones that are not seriously mishit?).

Are these true averages or distances you reach when you hit it well?

These are actually my averages. I just hit an 18 on Sunday and those are pretty damn accurate yardages. I vividly remember hitting 3 7i shots 176,181, and 184 yds according to my GPS that I have and I've also hit my 6i 200 yds consistently because it's usually my go to club after I rail a 3W off of the tee on a 450+ yard hole to either lay up or attempt to get on the green with my aggressive mentality.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loose the 5 iron, start using hybrids or a 11/9 wood.

Hey MacDutch-thanks for the suggestion-I was going over my round yesterday and realized my 4 or 5  duffed shots (on just two holes) were my 5 iron. I just can't get my head around that club. I even use the hybrids for those punch shots from under a tree back on the fairway or as a long putter. I currently use 18 and 24 degree hybrids which seem to cover 135 to about 175, depending on swing. length.Cheers

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These are actually my averages. I just hit an 18 on Sunday and those are pretty damn accurate yardages. I vividly remember hitting 3 7i shots 176,181, and 184 yds according to my GPS that I have and I've also hit my 6i 200 yds consistently because it's usually my go to club after I rail a 3W off of the tee on a 450+ yard hole to either lay up or attempt to get on the green with my aggressive mentality.

Those are great distances for someone just starting out.  You should get some lessons from a good instructor and you'd likely see them go up even more.

Joe Paradiso

Those are great distances for someone just starting out.  You should get some lessons from a good instructor and you'd likely see them go up even more.

The reason why I haven't done any lessons yet because I'm too scared that I'll get a bad instructor and it will curve me down a bad path. I've read some horror stories, so I'm being cautious and doing my research before I commit. Although, I have found a place I am willing to try out though with my girlfriend. I'll post the link to see if you guys that are reading this post think it's worth it.

http://www.chicagolandgolfacademy.com/

I guarantee you I am one of the shortest hitters here. When I play, people can't believe what irons I am using!

PW = 95

9i = 105

8i = 115

7i = 125

6i = 136

5i = about 142

5 hybrid around 160

4 hybrid 175+

3 wood around 185+

Driver - anywhere from 185 with a bad swing to 225 with a good swing. Not counting all the fake rollouts or downhill drives which can skew the numbers really high.

I really struggle with long courses. I know the numbers are sad but I can still have a good, decent time because I am very accurate most of the time.

One time, this (drunk) guy got completely upset that I was using a hybrid for a 160 yard par 3. He said that no one should use a hybrid unless they are hitting over 200. I got pissed off and hit my 5i on the green but in reality, I only hit my 5i 142. Whatever.

I guarantee you I am one of the shortest hitters here. When I play, people can't believe what irons I am using! PW = 95 9i = 105 8i = 115 7i = 125 6i = 136  5i = about 142 5 hybrid around 160 4 hybrid 175+ 3 wood around 185+ Driver - anywhere from 185 with a bad swing to 225 with a good swing. Not counting all the fake rollouts or downhill drives which can skew the numbers really high. I really struggle with long courses. I know the numbers are sad but I can still have a good, decent time because I am very accurate most of the time. One time, this (drunk) guy got completely upset that I was using a hybrid for a 160 yard par 3. He said that no one should use a hybrid unless they are hitting over 200. I got pissed off and hit my 5i on the green but in reality, I only hit my 5i 142. Whatever.

Agree with Dutch, ignore anyone when they tell you how to play your game.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Some of this is because you are on a site with many good players, and some of this is just internet yards too, so don't feel too bad.

Hi Lihu, I just picked up on "internet yards"

I'm 62 so grew up with yards, then we switched to meters. I didn't realise we have a new measurement "internet yards"

I reviewed the thread and uncovered the conversion "real" yardage" plus 40-50 yards.

Now the 5 iron gets me 175-185 yards

I feel much better

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/13069/how-far-do-you-hit-your-irons/54#post_1186095"]   Some of this is because you are on a site with many good players, and some of this is just internet yards too, so don't feel too bad. :-$   [/QUOTE] Hi Lihu, I just picked up on "internet yards" I'm 62 so grew up with yards, then we switched to meters. I didn't realise we have a new measurement "internet yards"  I reviewed the thread and uncovered the conversion "real" yardage" plus 40-50 yards. Now the 5 iron gets me 175-185 yards I feel much better

Glad we cleared that up. :-) @Slice of Life has/had a conversion formula in his signature. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

60 - 100

54 - 120

50 - 135

PW - 145

9 - 155

8 - 165

7 - 175

6 - 185

5 - 200

4 - 215

2H - 240

3W - 260

D - 280

I know these distances to be pretty accurate because I use a Bushnell Range Finder to scope flags and my home course has GPS touch screen on the cart which shows actual distance off the tee, and they update it daily for where they place the flags not like some where their all to the center, its a Visage system and after playing at courses with those it makes me never want to play ones without it. The only thing that sucks is one of the courses I play that has these has Ad's come after every hole.

I know these distances to be pretty accurate because I use a Bushnell Range Finder to scope flags and my home course has GPS touch screen on the cart which shows actual distance off the tee, and they update it daily for where they place the flags not like some where their all to the center, its a Visage system and after playing at courses with those it makes me never want to play ones without it. The only thing that sucks is one of the courses I play that has these has Ad's come after every hole.

Although, I suppose those things are generally pretty accurate, I was on one course on the first hole where the GPS told me and my son we had 230 yards to the pin.

We both grabbed our 200+ yard clubs. I planned on laying up as it looked pretty ominous in the back, and he planned on going for it from 10-15 yards closer. As I stood there with a 3i in my hand planning the layup, I thought something is wrong. Decided to pull out my 6i instead thinking that I would rather come up even shorter than to risk being OB, and ended up on the fringe which was about 20 yards from the center of the green. Based upon my shot my son then changed to a 7i and hit the front of the green and it came to rest 20-30 feet from the pin almost pin high. We reviewed the hole with my phone GPS, and discovered that it was indeed only 180 yards (total distance) from where I was and where the ball came to rest. The Cart GPS was off by 30 yards or more according to my phone GPS. My shot was about a 160-170 carry and a roll that took it to 180 (mishit), his shot was 160 carry and roll of about 5 yards (mishit as well, but a better one than mine). We're both pretty confident that neither of us hits 6i/7i 210-230 yards.

The rest of the round was very similar. The cart GPS was always off by 10-30 yards. It was the last time I used the cart GPS/computer for anything but scoring. We just used feel for the rest of the round.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Although, I suppose those things are generally pretty accurate, I was on one course on the first hole where the GPS told me and my son we had 230 yards to the pin.

We both grabbed our 200+ yard clubs. I planned on laying up as it looked pretty ominous in the back, and he planned on going for it from 10-15 yards closer. As I stood there with a 3i in my hand planning the layup, I thought something is wrong. Decided to pull out my 6i instead thinking that I would rather come up even shorter than to risk being OB, and ended up on the fringe which was about 20 yards from the center of the green. Based upon my shot my son then changed to a 7i and hit the front of the green and it came to rest 20-30 feet from the pin almost pin high. We reviewed the hole with my phone GPS, and discovered that it was indeed only 180 yards (total distance) from where I was and where the ball came to rest. The Cart GPS was off by 30 yards or more according to my phone GPS. My shot was about a 160-170 carry and a roll that took it to 180 (mishit), his shot was 160 carry and roll of about 5 yards (mishit as well, but a better one than mine). We're both pretty confident that neither of us hits 6i/7i 210-230 yards.

The rest of the round was very similar. The cart GPS was always off by 10-30 yards. It was the last time I used the cart GPS/computer for anything but scoring. We just used feel for the rest of the round.

I've defiantly have had it be wrong twice both times on the same hole maybe because of the trees or something, but that was 2 times out of probably 1000. But I usually scope the flags for added conformation and 998/1000 its within a yrd, and it defiantly depends on the brand the Visage ones are pretty spot on, but i played a course where it just had the little golf logix ones the just give numbers and those would be constantly off by 10-20 yrds but those are usually just to center green.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I've defiantly have had it be wrong twice both times on the same hole maybe because of the trees or something, but that was 2 times out of probably 1000. But I usually scope the flags for added conformation and 998/1000 its within a yrd, and it defiantly depends on the brand the Visage ones are pretty spot on, but i played a course where it just had the little golf logix ones the just give numbers and those would be constantly off by 10-20 yrds but those are usually just to center green.

What's funny is that I used Golflogix to verify the readings at that time. Now, I just use Golflogix for scoring as well. I don't depend upon technology for my home course approach distances anymore, with the exception of being on a new course where I use a rangefinder as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I used GL for a few years and it could be pretty far off depending on where the flags are. Last time I played I hit a 267 yard drive on a 385 yard hole and still had 154 to the flag, ball was on the green side of the 150. GL would have given me a 120 ish number and I would have chosen the wrong club. Being north of the 150 it really did look shorter. As it was  missed short knowing exactly what the number was.

Dave :-)

Yes, you can't beat a laser. But Golflogix gets you most of the way. it's very convenient. If you enter your club distances into GL, it overlays your clubs on the green. I really  like that for deciding which club to use. If you let it "hone in" it's pretty accurate. I have used it on my iPhone and Android phone and both worked well.

No need to be upset @808hacker

I have seen people use their driver on a 150y par3.

My dad did that a couple summers ago and he hit the flagstick with a low liner, I was laughing so hard.

My dad did that a couple summers ago and he hit the flagstick with a low liner, I was laughing so hard.

A woman friend of my dad's got a hole in one on a par 3 by hitting a driver. The ball ran along the ground pretty much the whole way and went in.Full swing putt from tee to green with a driver.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!