IGNORED

How do you grip the club?

Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How do you grip the club?

• Vardon / Overlapping
    • Baseball / Ten Finger
    • Interlocking

I've been using baseball grip since I started golfing but am now going to attempt to switch to the Vardon grip. I definitely use the right index finger and thumb as dominant fingers (which Hogan says is bad), so we'll see how it goes. After about an hour of practice with the new grip, it kind of makes my hand sore, but I'm sure that's just because my muscles aren't acclimated to it yet.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I first learned interlocking and played that way until earlier this year. After reading a couple books, I switched to the overlapping grip and played that way for a while. Both seemed comfortable enough, but I switched back to interlocking because it just seemed more natural to me.

10-finger grip just feels totally wrong to me...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

INterlocking since day one.
Driver:Taylormade Burner 9.5
Fairway: Titleist 906f4 15.5 Aldila Vs Proto stiff
Irons: Mizuno mx-23 3-pw
Wedges:Cleveland CG14 black pearl 52,58
Putter":Taylormade Rossa MonzaBall: Bridgestone E6+Bag: Ogio Ozone 2007

Learned overlaping but turned to the interlock. I keep trying to go back to the overlap but as it starts well my swing starts to flaw with a few swings. mental though.

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

The poll results really surprised me. I thought the overlap would be the most popular by a wide margin. That's what I have always used, never even tried anything else.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Sigh...... it's the Tiger Woods generation...hey wait a minute... that's my generation!

Just kidding.

Nothing wrong with the interlock if you keep the grip in the fingers!
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Didn't see this as a previous thread, so here goes.

I think it all depends on what works for you. Jack Nicklaus had relatively small hands so he uses the interlock grip for more control (so does Tiger). Experiment for a while and find which grip style feels comfortable for you...I myself like the Ben Hogan overlapping grip pictured here:

when i was little and my dad would just occasionally take me golfing with him, and i had no formal lessons or any kind of grasp of the game really, i played with a crosshanded baseball grip. fast forward to about 10-12 years later when i'm finding the game again, i started off with a regular baseball grip for about the first month, then switched to an interlocking grip at the suggestion of a friend. fast forward again to about three years later, i get my first actual golf lesson, and one of the first things the pro suggests i try is an overlapping grip.

i've been with vardon ever since.

Ok, just so there is no confusion.

The only thing about the 10 finger grip that is like holding a baseball bat is the hand position relative to each other. The rotational position is nothing like baseball, and the small percentage of golf professionals who even recognize it will very quickly correct you when you call it a "baseball" grip.

In all 3 golf grips the club should lie across the fingers of both hands, not in the palm of either hand. There are numerous photos and videos on the web that show the proper way to grip a golf club for anyone who is uncertain. Responding to the OP: I have always used the interlocking grip in a neutral position. I was shown it long before I ever ever actually played the game by my cousin (and before Jack Nicklaus was even out of college), and when I did start playing, it just felt right. Still does. One thing that the interlock does is it prevents you from getting too strong a right hand, as you are limited in the rotation of that hand by the interlocked fingers. The guys I know with exceptionally strong right hand grips all use the Vardon grip.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been using the interlocking grip for the past year just because that is what my pro has taught me

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

• 5 years later...
I use the 10 finger grip but the club rests in my fingers not my palm. My right thumb crosses over and rests on the left side of the shaft. Overlapping and interlocking have never felt comfortable and I've been as low as a 4 handicap with this grip. Reading Hogan's fundamentals book tonight and of course the first one is grip, got me thinking about overlap so I'll try it at the next range session. Worried about regressing before I start progressing again.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Switched from Vardon to Interlocking about 5 years ago.  I have smaller hands and at least feel that my hands are working together more, even if they don't sometimes.

My Sticks - Titleist 913D3 9.5* , 913F 3W 15*, 913H 21* & 24*, Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW w/ DG S300, Vokey SM5 52* & 56* & 60* Wedges, Scotty Cameron Futura X

I have been playing a little over 40 years and have used all three, but I have pretty much stuck with the Vardon for the last 20 years or so. I feel it gives me the best combination of comfort, flexibility and control. I stopped using a glove about 20 years ago, and the Vardon is more comfortable to me than interlock in the gloveless mode.. I could use the interlock if I felt some benefit; it doesn't feel weird to me or anything. As a youngster, I started out untrained witht the 10 finger, but switched within a year to interlock. I did try it again about 25 years ago when I was having some problems and would try ANYTHING. The 10 finger does feel weird to me now.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Switched from Vardon to Interlocking about 5 years ago.  I have smaller hands and at least feel that my hands are working together more, even if they don't sometimes.

I think hand size would play into it a LOT.

I have long fingers.  I was interlock since I started, switched to overlap about 2 years ago and it's doing so much better for me.

Bill - 

Would it depend on grip size also? I have regular sized grips and big hands..2x gloves. I have always used the interlock grip because I felt I had more control over things and being a baseball player I wanted to twist and turn my wrists too much with a 10 finger grip. However I just ordered a new set of clubs with Jumbo grips and think that will assist with possibly converting to more of an overlap?

Its not the dreams in the recesses of you mind, its the approach and how you go at it Roddy

Would it depend on grip size also? I have regular sized grips and big hands..2x gloves. I have always used the interlock grip because I felt I had more control over things and being a baseball player I wanted to twist and turn my wrists too much with a 10 finger grip.

However I just ordered a new set of clubs with Jumbo grips and think that will assist with possibly converting to more of an overlap?

Since I don't have big hands I can't be sure.  Since the same size grip fits larger in smaller hands versus larger hands, I would think that increasing the size of the grip would move you more towards an interlocking grip since it is fitting larger in your hands.  In reality it is all about personal preference.  If overlap feels better after some practice then go with.  You will need to give it a chance as it will probably feel awkward at first.

My Sticks - Titleist 913D3 9.5* , 913F 3W 15*, 913H 21* & 24*, Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW w/ DG S300, Vokey SM5 52* & 56* & 60* Wedges, Scotty Cameron Futura X

Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!