IGNORED

Tiger's Knee Injury

iacas
Note: This thread is 5807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Several things Tiger's said have made me think that something is seriously wrong with his knee. Yes, football players can come back a week or two after getting the surgery he supposedly got, and yes, a golf swing isn't the same thing as running with a football or whatever, so that's not really part of my "evidence."

However, the doctor told him not to play this week. He took a lot of medication on Sunday and Monday. He's going to "shut it down" for awhile. Rich Lerner asked him if the rest of the year might be lost, and Tiger basically said "maybe - we'll see." The rest of the year ???

I find it mildly insulting and rude that Tiger won't just tell everyone what the hell is wrong with his knee. He can couch it in all the stupid "I don't want to be given extra credit for winning with this injury, other guys do stuff all the time, yada yada yada" he wants, but I think he should be honest with his fans, his peers, the PGA Tour and his sponsors, and so on.

I wouldn't quite say he "owes" us fans anything, but it's close. I get that it's his body, and his privacy, but we don't ask about his knee at home: we ask about his knee and how it will affect the times he has to come out into the public and play. He gets coy and semi-smug with information, saying he took "things" to help with the pain but not saying what.

So this thread asks three questions:

1) What do you think is wrong with Tiger's knee?
2) When will Tiger be back?
3) What do you think of Tiger being secretive about his injury?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is wrong is anybody's guess but I suspect he will be back for the British. I agree with the secrecy being a bit much (although being a Pats fan you get used to that mentality) as it's not like football where opponents can target his injury. If he didn't want to give other players a glimmer of hope telling them what is wrong is one thing but when the Open was over I don't see the need to act like whatever is wrong is a national secret.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I've had five knee operations on my right knee, all cartilage-related (I also have a degenerative bone condition, but that's not really an issue now). It's my right knee, so the dynamics are different, but - the times my operations have been to clean out or smooth out some rough shards or whatnot (all arthroscopic for me), it takes about 3-4 weeks to get the swelling all under control and to feel like my range of motion is fully back. Once that's done, my knee feels great. All the clicking and popping and sticking is gone.

That being said, I wonder why after two months (of, I assume, was very focused rehab) and, I'm sure, the best doctors/therapists, his knee was such an issue. I don't think it can be just simple cartilage damage. Oh, and I speak of "articular" cartilage, which is the thin skin of cartilage at the end of the femur. That's opposite of meniscus, which is the big cup of cartilage that is on the bottom of the knee joint.

I think it has to be meniscus, and I think he tore it, and I think they removed a lot of it. If they had try to suture the meniscus, his rehab would have been much longer (well, maybe they did and that's why it was recommended he didn't play). The meniscus bears a lot of weight and would explain Tiger's discomfort (and I hear he had a lot of swelling?). If that's the case, I bet he takes at least six weeks off. As far as being secretive, I think it's partially because he's private, partially because it may just be too uncertain of a prognosis to try to put into words, and maybe partially because he doesn't want to really face the fact that he has an injury that may hold him back.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

1) I'm thinking either the surgery wasn't successful or it wasn't a "cleaning out" as we were told. Perhaps there was something torn in there? Obviously that takes much longer to recover from. If that's the case, the 91 holes he just played (not counting practice) can't be good. Obviously I don't know and I'm just speculating.

2) Who knows. If there isn't anything severe wrong with his knee then my guess is the British Open? If he skips the British then who knows, maybe the year. 3) Classic Tiger. He tells just enough so you know about it, know it's hurting a lot but nothing specific. He clearly wants people to know he's hurting but wants to give off that impression that he doesn't want it to be a distraction (when obviously he knows it's going to be). I don't like it and am kind of sick of it. If he doesn't know what exactly is wrong and has to visit with his doctors to find out then just say that. If he still believes the surgery was a success but is taking too long to heal then say that. If the procedure wasn't as simple as once believed then say that. Geez... it's not like we're asking him to hand over the x-rays! He can give us what we want without getting into too many specific details. I'll add that I am shocked that his doctors advised him not to play. I didn't know that until this morning. I assumed when he withdrew from The Memorial that he was giving it two extra weeks to be cautious and extra sure he'll be ready without any doubts. Obviously that wasn't the case but I still assumed his doctors gave him the go ahead to play without re-injuring it. Since they didn't then I imagine they think it was a real possibility that he could make it worse. That's not good. I would love to know if it were the Ryder Cup this week instead of the US Open if Tiger would have played. Hmmm... Speaking of the Ryder Cup, I wonder if Tiger will be able to play?

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Well in a sense its really none of our bussiness what is really wrong with his knee, if he wants to be coy then thats his perogative. He plays next at the British, i cant see him missing a major being so close to the record of major wins.

I think its a possibillity that much of his knee drama is just gamesmanship - or "hamming it up" so to speak. Would his win yesterday seem more dramatic to you with or without the injury?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

1. Not a doctor - I haven't a clue. Joints are funny things, what is bad for me might be fine for someone else.

2. When he thinks he can win again. Rocco probably scared him a little and I don't think he will be back until he is sure he can put a guy like Rocco away in a more traditional 4 hole playoff (Rocco would have won if it was that way I believe) 3. Secretive sure but you can bet the PGA wants it that way as well. As long as people think Tiger might be at a tournament they will tune in or buy tickets on speculation. Tiger comes out today and says he is shutting it down for the year? Ratings go in the crapper and it becomes "Well yeah Phil won the British but Tiger wasn't there so it really isn't all that impressive". That kind of talk isn't good for golf. Someone mentioned in the "Tiger and hockey" thread that the PGA averages a 1.5 share when Tiger isn't in the field, hockey was at 1.8 across the board so without him golf takes a back seat to hockey. Not good for the game, the PGA knows it and the longer Tiger takes to make the decision or announce the decision to shut it down the better for them and the industry.

Andrew

1) I believe he has the same injury as LaDanian Tomlinson. Tomlinson had no noticeable limp, however, he could not apply the pressure or cut the way he wanted.

2) It will be almost 8 months before LT is 100%. I'm guessing that since Tiger does not play a contact sport, that we'll see him play four more times, for sure: Ryder Cup, both majors and his own tourney.

3) I'm certain he's had discussions with Finchem and his sponsors. Those conversations remain secretive. His PR people will probably release a statement within a week or so. This is just who he is and won't divulge information that he does not deem necessary. I'm sure that this comes from his upbringing and that he does not want to open himself up to speculation and second guessing. Michael Jordan was the same way. When asked why he was only 99% sure that he was retiring and not 100%, he replied "Because that one percent is mine and not yours."

I rather see a limited Tiger than end up with a Gale Sayers situation.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

1) What do you think is wrong with Tiger's knee? 2) When will Tiger be back? 3) What do you think of Tiger being secretive about his injury?

I have to agree with you Erik, there just seems to be more than meets the eye. The first time we saw him wincing from pain this week really made me realize that this didn't seem like a typical knee scope.

1) I don't know for sure, and I can't pretend to be a doctor, but maybe it's more than just cartilage and is something more in the ligaments. Think back to other athletes that tear a ligament and it is surgically repaired, it's a year long rehab process. Maybe it's not this severe, but perhaps Tiger being a golfer (which is supposedly less impact on the joints than other sports) he thought he could come back sooner. 2) I'd be amazed to see him before the British at the earliest. 3) I think Tiger is really just trying to downplay his injury because he is so accustomed to everything in his life being blow out of proportion. Look at how the media went ballistic with this knee thing when they thought it was just another minor scope that he's had done multiple times before. If he tells anyone that it is more serious than that then no matter what that will be the leading story of the year in golf. Just my thoughts anyway. One last thought I have, football players and other higher impact athletes are 1) used to playing with pain and 2) used to taking medication to reduce the amount of pain they feel. But as someone said during the week, shooting the knee up doesn't help with the core problem, it just makes it so you can't feel it hurting, while it's clear that Tiger did eventually give in to some sort of pain relief I do applaud him for not just shooting up and teeing it up. I thought he was smarter than that and I'm glad he proved my thought to be correct. I am in the group that hopes he recovers fully ASAP, while I'm not a Tiger worshiper, I do really love watching him in his prime. I am in the group that appreciates what we get to see when he does his thing.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

All I know is that this reminds me of top Russian tennis player Marat Safin who had similar problems with his left-knee a few years back in 2005:
"It is a long story. It is not an unusual injury. In fact, it is fairly common with basketball players called "jumper's knee" . It is not very serious but, unfortunately, I stopped playing too late and aggravated it.
I started to have problems in Indian Wells and Miami. I continued to play on clay as I was hoping that the problem was related to hard surfaces. But that did nothing else but worsen the injury. At Roland-Garros, I had to take pain killers and to undergo injections around the knee. After Wimbledon, I decided to go for consultation at a private clinic. One advised me to stop for two or three months, but I did not take the advice. I really wanted to play at the US Open. It is over there that I caused the problem to worsen."

He had 6 months out and has never been the same since - dropped to 77th in the rankings.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Not sure. Seems like nothing major. Tiger is pretty smart I think and wouldn't risk longterm damage just to have the chance to win one more major when his ultimate goal is 19+
British possibly
It is his right. He has these a-hole media people constantly up his ass. He owes nothing to fans, media or anyone.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

-I think that Tiger has some cartilage damage from years of stress put on his knee. He generate so much torque in his swing that it eventually caught up to him. I don't think that he has any ACL injuries. I really think that it's just some floating cartilage or maybe even just an injury to the meniscus. The Surgery he had is not a "major" knee surgery by any means, but you must consider any knee surgery in more major than any other surgery.

-I'm fairly confident that Tiger won't be back until the British Open. Even though the Buick Open is coming up, I think he will sit it out to rest his knee. I do think, however, that his knee was nearly fully recovered, but he may have put undue stress on it this week. He will most likely sit out until the Open championship just to be safe.

-I think Tiger is doing what's right for him. The media makes such a big deal about everything he does that he has to pick and choose every word he says. By limiting the information he shares with the media, his injury can't be blown out of proportion. He's a modest guy and he isn't try to "milk" the sympathy of the crowds. He has told us what surgery he had and that his knee still hurts. What more do we need to hear from him?
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Several things Tiger's said have made me think that something is seriously wrong with his knee. Yes, football players can come back a week or two after getting the surgery he supposedly got, and yes, a golf swing isn't the same thing as running with a football or whatever, so that's not really part of my "evidence."

1-I feel that Tiger has a minor long term niggle with his knee and will need regular surgery ie- every year. Perhaps a cartillage problem associated with his regime of play and practice. Why not go for a titanium joint mechanism now and save the hassle latter on. 2- Tiger will be back for the British Open but not before. He deserves a break. 3- It could be that he doesnt want people to speculate too much so he has tried to be as quiet as possible on the matter. However, perhaps the injury is more serious than we think and we wants to keep it a secret mainly because it could ave a negative impact on his future endorsement deals and negotiations. However, as great a player that he is, he is entitled to privacy and is just a human being like the rest of us are. I was wondering if Pfizer or GlaxoSmithKline etc will approach Tiger to endorse one of their pain killers?..perhaps an anti inflammatory like Voltarol.

1) honestly nothing, just normal swelling and discomfort, a player of his cailber and the force he strikes a golf ball with will naturally make a (just recent surgically repaired knee) sore right, I would believe so 2) he'll be back for the next Major.....British 3) it's his right, but as I stated in #1, imo theres nothing to say about the knee but normal soreness and swelling....

Don't forget, the docs are gonna be conservative because there's a lot on the line for them in the way of reputation. Understandable. Tiger is the only one to make the decision, based on best professional advice and his own goals and risk assessment.

As to his coyness about the injury, to the extent that he is - it's also understandable. Why give out unnecessary information on such a personal matter to the public and to his fellow competitors? That's a game I would play too if I were him, and so he should. I think it's pretty funny hearing people like us judge someone like him when it comes to what he chooses to say about his condition and its likely effects - very droll. IMO he's being careful to be honest in what he does say, and that is very important to HIS reputation. And how can he possibly know what the long-term effect of the knee will be on his career? He'd be an idiot to say something definitive. The guy is clearly no idiot - far from it. The docs are only giving their best guess based on the scans and whatever else. It's not an exact science.

I'm no booster for Tiger, he doesn't need it and I daresay he's all too human. But so far I'm quite impressed with what I see re: the injury and his behavior this week, especially towards Rocco. Tiger obviously took a calculated risk by sticking it out, and putting his long term career goals into the equation. Let's hope it was worth it for him. Only he can run the numbers on this sort of thing.

My guess is we'll see even less of him on the circuit, and more focus on the majors. Fair enough. He's stated his career goal clearly enough - go for it man!

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I dont think he should feel he "has" to give out any information on his knee, at all. He will tell everyone what he wants them to know, and nothing more. Everything is just fact less speculation until his camp comes out and confirms something.

1) Not a clue. Going with the general report of loose cartilage or whatever.

2) Hoping he'll be back for the The British Open but could be longer....hard tellin' not knowing. 3) I don't have a problem with him being secretive. It could be a time sensative issue.

1. I think he had knee surgery recently and didn't give it sufficient time to mend - not rocket science.

2. If he were smart, he'd take the whole rest of the season off and make sure he has a full recovery so he can play another 10 years. But I'm guessing he'll play his event, and the British Open. 3. I feel nothing. It's his injury. I hope he's smart and doesn't hurt himself more than he already has.
I find it mildly insulting and

This just seems like really bizarre reaction to me. I don't understand how Tiger Wood's actions with regard to his own physical health could affect you on such a personal level.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Well it is Tigers business, and it is also what Tiger does professionally, Tiger is also a shy person who does not let on much I mean how much did he tell us about his swing changes?

Tiger is a very private person and there is evidence of this in the way he conducts himself off the golf course.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Note: This thread is 5807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!