IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Cast irons last FAR longer. The long-life of cast clubs might outweigh the slight difference in feeling for some. I know that my i5s and s59s look almost as good as they did when brand new, but after two seasons of daily play and practice I've seen some MP-67s get

Thatd be mine. After 1 and i repeat 1 season i have a huge mark in the middle of my 8 iron!!!

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I WOULD... don't get me wrong I love my clubs, but I'll ALWAYS play whatever club works best for me OVERALL... which would include such chrectoristics as feel, look, distance, workabiliy, cost, durability, etc.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I would say no to cast from stainless steel
but cast from 8620 carbon steel like vokeys
i'd say yes.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I would if helped my game. I played forged for several years, then bought a set of Ping ISI Nickel, played them for several years and then went to Mizuno Pro's.

I think cast clubs are better now then ever and some of the sets by Cobra, Taylormade and Ping look and perform really well. I'm sure my ball striking will degenerate at some point in time and I will look for a GI iron.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

there are cast blades: Cleveland CG Tours, Precept EC603 ProSpec, RG Designs, just to name a few. Not all blades are forged...

thank you i did not know they were out there im going to have to check out those clevelands.

I'll always try to play the best clubs for my game. I just don't care about the manufacturing process that gets them there.

Right now, that's a set of forged irons......tomorrow, who knows.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Everybody says in the beggining to use cavity irons and that they improve your game, bigger/ better sweet spot, then some go to blades. Why are blades better for your game if your handi-cap is lower? I know they arent for everone and some may never recomend them, but why do they give your shot more shape? Do they put more spin on the ball? Why do you have more control with blades?

In my Tour Bag:

Taylormade RBZ Driver, 3w, 3h
Cobra Amp Cell Irons 4i-pw
Vokey Wedges, 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Putter

"I'd shoot an eagle anyday over a regular ol' birdie"

you have to have more control to play with blades

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

Everybody says in the beggining to use cavity irons and that they improve your game, bigger/ better sweet spot, then some go to blades. Why are blades better for your game if your handi-cap is lower? I know they arent for everone and some may never recomend them, but why do they give your shot more shape? Do they put more spin on the ball? Why do you have more control with blades?

Tonto, Tarzan and Frankenstein would say...

"Blade make golf hard. Cavity make golf easy. Easy golf make handicap drop. Handicap drop. Want get more better. Control ball make better golf. Blade control ball. Tonto Tarzan and Frankenstein then play blade. Make even better golf....." Just wondering if anybody remebers that Saturday Night Live skit? Anyway, to the OP, that really is it in a nutshell. A little searching of the threads will help you find a lot of threads on the subject as well as a lot of opinions both for and against both models and their usefulness to any level of player. Good Luck!

Let's try to make this discussion interesting for once. Anyone know why it's easier to shape shots with blades?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A Cavity back Club has perimeter weighting. ie putting the wieght to the outside of the club and increasing the sweet spot or error margin. The blade puts the weight more behind the ball resulting in a small sweet spot but better response to mis-hits. A cavity is harder to shape because the weight of the club is so spread out. (my take anyway) Stick with the Cavity back even the pros are hitting them now.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

At least let it happen in the equipment section with the other 5 similar threads.

I agree...how many more thread do we need about blades vs CB's. You might as well throw another GPS thread out there for kicks too.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

Let's try to make this discussion interesting for once. Anyone know why it's easier to shape shots with blades?

It's swing path that shapes the shot, not the blade. Over half the Champions tour plays Cavity back irons and they are able to play their ball as well as anyone playing blades.

Playing blades vs cavities is like driving an BMW M5 with a 6 speed vs driving a Toyota Camry automatic.

interesting articles regarding blades

http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+w...ty_Backs_.html

http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+w..._Epiphany.html

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I hit my Nike VR Blades farther than my Mizuno MX-23s. Could be because my Mizunos had about 10,000 hits in them. Or, it could be because with a blade it is more like driving a nail with a hammer vice a frying pan (cavity back) like the WEDGE GUY posited.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

Note: This thread is 1417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!