IGNORED

"Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" by Ben Hogan

iacas
Note: This thread is 1997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bddarnell

I feel that I have the grip down the best, my stance is decent compared to Hogan, my backswing and downswing are still works in progress.

I take back alot of what I said about stance and posture, they are more out of whack than I thought. Just throwing that out there in case anyone goes to the my swing thread and watches the vid. Still needs lots of work. I think I'm in decent shape regarding the grip, I started there and haven't been able to poke any holes in it for awhile.

Thanks again to Hacker James.

Originally Posted by bddarnell

I take back alot of what I said about stance and posture, they are more out of whack than I thought. Just throwing that out there in case anyone goes to the my swing thread and watches the vid. Still needs lots of work. I think I'm in decent shape regarding the grip, I started there and haven't been able to poke any holes in it for awhile.

Thanks again to Hacker James.

Huh?  what are you thanking me for?  the recommendation? the other two? Finding a paper back ?  just curious, and thank you for thanking me  ha ha...

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Hacker James

Huh?  what are you thanking me for?  the recommendation? the other two? Finding a paper back ?  just curious, and thank you for thanking me  ha ha...

:-D All of it!

oh OK, then you are very welcome sir

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I should probably finish this book. I've had it for half a year and got bogged down about halfway through. Can't remember which chapter but I lost interest at some point.

Dave :-)

I like this book, it's very cause and effect. Hogan has a reason for everything he recommends and tells you why. I found it to be a pretty easy read but to truly retain and use everything that he shows you takes some study and practice. I'm in the stage where I've read the whole book and I'm trying to assimilate and implement things as best I can. I still need to find the right swing plane in order to "groove" my swing properly. I should continue to be in a much better place with my ball striking as I go along with this material.

I still find Hogan's book quite useful. Even when I "thought" I knew everything in it, I discover something to go back and check and recheck. As you learn more about your swing, try different things, practice, the illustrations and text in the book become almost "new material" as you find something in it that you didn't quite grasp in the same way.  Its a never ending process. It seems as though no matter what "new" thing I try, or a "tip" I practice, I am always drawn back to the book. Even the so-called modern golf swing(s) have as their fundamental basis, the properties described in the book. There may be a few subtle differences, but the base fundamentals hold true.  I've gotten a lot of "a ha" moments when I go back and read multiple times.

"James"

Originally Posted by Hacker James

I've gotten a lot of "a ha" moments when I go back and read multiple times.

For me I picked up alot of new things when I first read through the book, but I will often discover when I read it through again I will pick up on something that I missed or something that I thought I understood but Hogan meant another way.

I think my handicap is about to drop into single digits for the first time in my life due to this book. I've worked hard to copy everything. Only deviation is stance (foot position always parallel to target line). Whenever I start missing I eventually always realize I deviated from his swing instruction in some way (off plane backswing, weight not slightly more on heels, left elbow not pointing at left hipbone, etc). Just need to fix my putting and then look out.

Originally Posted by Crockme

I think my handicap is about to drop into single digits for the first time in my life due to this book. I've worked hard to copy everything. Only deviation is stance (foot position always parallel to target line). Whenever I start missing I eventually always realize I deviated from his swing instruction in some way (off plane backswing, weight not slightly more on heels, left elbow not pointing at left hipbone, etc).

Just need to fix my putting and then look out.

Yep, there's always something to look back on. Recently, for me, it was not maintaining extension after impact. Going back to his stance and posture, making sure the hollows of elbow were pointing up and elbows pointing at hips kept my arms together and was able to "swing the wedge/triangle" through impact and a little after without collapsing or turning into a chicken wing. It also helped keep the left wrist bowed at impact as keeping the hollows upwards sort of "set" the left wrist even before the swing. It felt like, I could not cup it even if I wanted to.

"James"

Agree, the hollow of my left arm facing up at address is a key for me. Doing so keeps my left arm straight and probably keeps that triangle together better as you mention.

• 5 months later...

I only took up golf before Christmas (well, November) and I read this over the holidays.

I like it a lot. It has stuff for beginners and I love the pictures. I went to look at his swing on YouTube and it really is smooth and easy flowing.

It's a style I would like to emulate as I am not into the idea of bashing it as hard as possible.

I confess, I don't get all of it but it's going to be my bedside book to keep referring to as I progress

• 2 months later...

Got the book monday, finished it today. I love reading sportsperson books, but this is only my 2nd golf book (the big miss - 1st).

The only things that have helped my game so far are the knees buckling side to side rather than shooting out in front of you, and trying to keep the arms close to the chest.

His alignment section seems out of whack compared to modern standards, and if I suppinate my wrist like his I hook like a ####.

Overall a great read.

Looking at THE IMPACT ZONE next.

This is a good reminder for me to revisit this book. Got it late lat year and only made it part way through as my approach was to read a chapter and practice that lesson for a week or so before moving on to the next in the spirit of "building" my swing. Anxious to get back at it since some things really started to click and show results (mostly the elbow alignment and keeping my right arm close to my body). It is a great reference and/or refresher tool - simple and easy read with great illustrations.

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

• 3 months later...

The 1st book I read was a book called Golf Fore!! Beginners: the fundamentals by Stephen J. Rutherber. It was ok. But for some reason I would slice the ball far right. So then I would start aiming to the left of the fairway, so if I did slice I'd still have a chance of landing on the fairway. I knew my club head must have been opened on impact, but try as I might, I just couldn't seem to get it square.

Then I read this book, Ben Hogan's Five Lesson's. It showed me how to rotate my left hand farther to the right, and how to place my right hand ( I'm a right handed golfer). The grip still feels a bit uncomfortable for me right now. But it works. I can easily tell by looking if it's right. This book gave me more confidents in my swing plane.

So I read this book and practiced in my yard with some almost golf balls for a week. I went out yesterday for a 18 hole round (my 4th game ever, 1st 18 hole round). Low & behold, I had some great tee shots and other shots as well. I even had two long straight shots with a 4 iron, the 1st time I ever hit a long iron well. On average with my driver (tee shots). I was hitting them 200+ yards ( I'm 53, for me that's good). And keeping them on, or close to the fairway. When I did miss the short grass, it was only by a few feet left or right of the fairway. Much better then 30+ yards right of the fairway stuck behind trees and stuff. Water holes, well now that's a different story. lol.

Now that I'm gaining confidence in my swing, maybe now I can devote more time in learning my short game. Any good suggestions on a short game book?

I know some people can argue that Ben Hogan's swing is out dated and 80 years old or so. But for now it's working for me. Later on when I get better, if I decide I want to go longer, then maybe I'll try to learn to swing more from my right side. But for now I'll stick with this swing.

Now if I can only learn to waggle with out knocking my ball off the tee.

Now that I'm gaining confidence in my swing, maybe now I can devote more time in learning my short game. Any good suggestions on a short game book?

@short iron

Instead of a book, start by checking out the following threads:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video-golf-pitch-shot-technique

http://thesandtrap.com/t/70998/chipping-with-a-putting-method

Also, welcome to TheSandtrap!

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 4 weeks later...

Reading this book at the moment, halfway through and I've learnt A LOT of useful things. I can feel a re-shape coming on.

Cobra S9-1 Pro 10.5* Driver

Lynx 2-iron ;)

Callaway RAZR X 3 hybrid

Callaway x-24 4-SW

Callaway MackDaddy2 50*

Cobra TrustyRusty 59*

Ping Karsten 1959 Anser-2

Note: This thread is 1997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!