IGNORED

What is the best golf lesson or tip you ever received?

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1) keep you putts low, Lee Trevino
2) Have fun with golf
3) shoulder turn with putts and wedge game
4) keep the club face square as long as possible
5) practice more than you play
6) Practice the short game
7) Putt for dough and drive for show
8) practice your swing with your feet together

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a huge problem of hanging back and not rotating my upper body through the swing. My boss and PGA pro at our club watched me tee off the first hole last night and he said "Your swing is great, it's just that your balance sucks. Chest over foot." So, to be sure I make a complete turn, my chest should be directly over my left foot. I got it right on a few holes and was hitting a mile with a beautiful draw.

In my bag:
Cleveland Launcher Comp 9.5 Pro Launch 65-s
Cleveland Launcher Comp 3 wood 13* Cleveland Stiff
Titleist 690-CB 3-PW
Vokey 252.08, SM56.10, SM60.04Scotty Cameron Newport 2Looking for a 18-20* 585h

The best advice I ever got was from a buddy and I didnt listen.

He said:

"Take two weeks off...... then quit."

Actually bump the hips to start the downswing was the most benificial tip .

Also to make your waggle match the swing your going to make. It seems to help with my tempo issues.

Golf is the cruelest game, because eventually it will drag you out in front of the whole school, take your lunch money and slap you around. ~Rick Reilly, "Master Strokes," Sports Illustrated

keep the club face square as long as possible at and after impact.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• 1 year later...
I thought it'd be interesting to hear the single best tip or bit of advice people have recieved that have helped them most in Golf.Whether it be from your instructor, playing partner, or some bloke on the Range.

I got a free tip from a club pro a few days ago that instantly changed my golf game.He took one look at my swing, stood in front of me and a little to my left (I'm a lefty) and told me to swing the club in his direction, turning my hands over at impact.After 1 swing, I realised that in 9 months playing the game of Golf, I'd never really understood how to execute an 'In to Out' swingpath properly.I thought I knew what it meant, but obviously I didn't know how it felt, or how to get in that position.This morning on the course I hit a 275 yard drive with a nice draw and I can honestly say I've never stuck a golf ball as well in my entire life.I'm sure many of you know that feeling.It may seem like an obvious and fundamental aspect of the Golf swing, but to me it was nothing less than a revelation and that's why it's my number 1 tip.Please share yours!
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

This may sound simple, but my single best tip was "hit down on the ball." I started playing early last summer, and for most of the year I tried scooping the ball into the air. Using this method, I could not hit anything longer than an 8 iron. I dont really remember exactly when I learned this, but as soon as I did, I hit some of the best iron shots I had ever hit. Now after practicing all winter with foam balls, I can more consistently hit the ball well with my irons. I cant wait to play again this year.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This morning on the course I hit a 275 yard drive with a nice draw and I can honestly say I've never stuck a golf ball as well in my entire life.I'm sure many of you know

Isn't that the best feeling!?!?!?!

Four years ago I got a tip from my buddy. Now, this tip depends on how good our putting stroke is and putting is my strongest area. When you are 20 yards or less off the green, use your putting stroke for chip shots. For me, this is money!!

It's not a technical tip, but when I got started in golf my father said, "It's important to be fun on the course, even if you're playing bad. Then people will always enjoy playing with you." That is something I try to remember, because even if I'm playing crappy, I don't want to ruin the day for one of my buddies who might be having an awesome round.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

- « Record your swing with a video camera »

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

This isn't meant to stroke anyone's ego but I have never felt more confident that I know the anatomy of the golf swing after iacas went on his posting rampage after he met David Weznik.

So read iacas's posts from like August 2009 and on or so. They're better than any tip you'll ever find in a book or magazine.

Constantine

It's not a technical tip, but when I got started in golf my father said, "It's important to be fun on the course, even if you're playing bad. Then people will always enjoy playing with you." That is something I try to remember, because even if I'm playing crappy, I don't want to ruin the day for one of my buddies who might be having an awesome round.

That's what my dad told me aswell.

Too bad a lot of people weren't told/listened to this piece of wisdom. Another tip that sticks into my head is "it doesn't matter HOW you get the ball to the hole as long as you can do it in as few shots as possible". i.e no point hitting a 50-50 flop when you could easily hit a bump and run to the hole.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

When putting and hitting fairway woods, weight should be slightly on the heels. With irons it should be a little bit on your toes.

Never hit a put fat after that.

Etiquette - keep up

The swing: Make sure you finish your backswing - back facing the target and club shaft down the line

The Game: Don't be "that guy" (open to interpretation)

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Isn't that the best feeling!?!?!?!

That is a great tip. I use a putting like stroke for short chips also. Although, for me it's mainly 10 yards off the green. Anything over that I use a pitch shot. Even if the club goes under waist high.

This may sound simple, but my single best tip was "hit down on the ball." I started playing early last summer, and for most of the year I tried scooping the ball into the air. Using this method, I could not hit anything longer than an 8 iron. I dont really remember exactly when I learned this, but as soon as I did, I hit some of the best iron shots I had ever hit. Now after practicing all winter with foam balls, I can more consistently hit the ball well with my irons. I cant wait to play again this year.

The single most valueble tip for my iron game. Today, on a water shot. I kept getting old glimpses of myself scooping the ball in the air and "kirplunk" in the sauce. Instead, I remembered to hit down on the ball and I had the best shot over the water on the green 8 ft away from the pin.

As for putting, I would visualize the ball on the spot after impact and this would prevent me from lifting or watching were the ball would go resulting to many pulls and push's. Doing this resulted in many pars in today's round.

Whats in the Four 5?

Burner 10.5 Stiff
Burner 3W
CPR 22/26 HybridsG5 5-PW Black Dot +2 Vokey Sm OilCanSV Tour 60* Black FinishBarbadosPro-V1 recycled

When you swing, act like you are holding your glove underneath your right armpit.

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!