IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

18 holes with cart a local Muni....$28
Polo shirt and kakhi shorts at Walmart...$28
Knowing you aren't the worst dressed slob on the course.....priceless

• Administrator
The racism in golf was no worse than the general ugly racism that was seen throughout the country at that time.

Let's get back on topic - and Danny, since it's YOUR topic, I'd expect you to know better...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So baseball's 80 years of segregation was what? Don't see Augusta National as a general rule. Golf had a air of being for the rich and white but actual segregation was never an issue. African Americans that wanted to had more access to golf then many other pastimes. Primarily through caddying.

African Americans that wanted to had more access to golf then many other pastimes.

Primarily through caddying . You cannot be serious.

Let's get back on topic - and Danny, since it's YOUR topic, I'd expect you to know better...

You'd think. Sorry got a little irritated back on topic right......NOW.

Racism and all this other crap IS off topic. It has to do with respecting the game of golf. If you respect something you show that respect through how you act towards it. Part of respecting the game is to show up at the course dressed correctly whether or not there is a dress code. In all other walks of like we show respect through dress. In business you show up dressed correctly to show respect for the client, if someone dies you dress correctly to show respect for the deceased. Golf should be no different. But why am I arguing with you anyway you won't get it. You either have respect for the game or you don't. Thats why I believe dress codes to be good for the game, they force people to show respect for the game I love.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

first of all I think a dress code is good as t-shirts, wife beaters, jeans, and gym clothes look like crap on a golf course, and YES... most people I see wearing this type stuff lack ettiquete.

Question though... what about cold weather golf... In the cold I often wear mock turtles or real turtles because a collar is not as warm. I usually also wear a vest, and for my size (XXLT) I can't find many good wind vests so I often wear a fleece vest over a mock or real turtleneck. Does anyone else dislike the mock turtle short sleeve (t-shirt wanabee), but wear or is OK with the cold weather mocks.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

For sure, they are GOOD for the game. I just don't like when they get out of hand (like NO SHORTS at all allowed...)

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Definitely good for the game! The game is about tradition, etiquette and honor. I think that those who take the game seriously should do their best to respect the tradition of the game. I know that some may see the dress code as limiting, but would you wear a tank top to a job interview? No you wouldn't. People need to learn to dress appropriately for the occasion.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

You'd think. Sorry got a little irritated back on topic right......NOW.

First off, I'm going to answer the thread topic by saying, I don't like the choices so I'm not voting. I personally don't see, how a person's attire has any effect on the game and how they respect the rules. I just don't see any correlation between the two. Above you said "dressed correctly". To me, in golf; correct is comfortable. Comfort is different for everyone. So you know, I have a decent collection of dri-fit Nike and Adidas golf shirts, a couple of the mock t dri-fits. But I also love tie-dies. Been wearing them for over 30 years. So I break out a Grateful Dead shirt when I play. I always wear cargo shorts during the summer--due to how comfortable they are. I repair ball marks constantly, rake bunkers. . .no smoking here means no butts. I follow around a lot, I mean A LOT of players that YOU would call well-dressed, dressed correctly for the game. And they treat the course with a lot less respect than I do. Judging a golfer's game by their dress just isn't strong enough to argue. Its just your opinion about the bad dressed players you've probably encountered. Dirty is dirty. That's one thing. But a 5 o'clock shadow X 5 won't bother me. I don't see why it would. If a guy is playing in basketball shorts and a sports bra, so what. . .how's his putting. . .

Yes a dress code is good for the game. Reason: It goes with how golf is supposed to be played - a gentleman's game. What does that mean? That you call penalties on yourself, behave like a gentleman on the course, etc. Dressing like a gentleman goes along with this. While it may be a bit much to suggest that those who don't dress in the traditional attire (in the modern sense) won't respect the game, I don't think that it's a bad assumption to say that someone who plays in cut-offs and a tank top doesn't know the traditions of the game and what appropriate behavior is either.

I think things like comfort should play a part in your attire but shouldn't we try to wear attire that would comport with the traditions of golf? Why should we? Why not? I think it's fair to say that dressing a bit more formally than you would for a pickup basketball game also makes people act more appropriately? no?

Anyhow, in sum I think dress codes are good for the game cause it reinforces the traditions of the game - that it's a gentlemen's game - and dressing nicer often times puts people in the frame of mind to behave more gentlemanly...

There is a time and a place for most everything. And since golf is a game of rules and standards of conduct, it perfectly reasonable to expect those rules and standards to include dress. It is not asking too much of golfers, whether they are playing a municipal course or a country club course, to make an unobtrusive, pleasant appearance on the course. The cost to the golfer can be great or little, depending on what type of shopper he is or, what his taste is. Almost anyone, regardless of cost, with a little effort, can make a neat, clean and appropriate appearance. Just as the rules of conduct are reasonable, appropriate and neccessary, so are rules governing dress.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I think we've been here before. If you want to look scruffy and wear jeans and a t shirt then you should not try to get a game at a decent private club or country club- that said i have worn that sort of attire at the driving range a few times. Golf is a gentleman's game, and people should dress accordingly.

A pair of cargo pants is ok at a municipal i suppose but not at the more up market clubs. At some clubs there is a ban on sports socks and any sock must be pulled up to the knee and a shirt and tie must be worn in the clubhouse after 7 pm- all regulations that i approve of. I don't mind opening the game up to the masses but if you want to play you must abide by the rules of each club. We shouldn't worry about offending people who are new to the game with so called twentyfirst century values.

I think it all depends on the course and what is considered normal for that particular course. As a standard, I see nothing wrong with jeans shorts (hemmed, not cut-off and frayed) and a nice T-shirt (even sleeveless is OK with me if the sleeves aren't cut off). Tank tops not so much but again it depends on the course.

I used to golf in Iowa in a farming community and you'd see people shirtless! Not so good for a country club or uppity public course, but no one thought anything about it at some of those farming community golf courses. I personally wouldn't go shirtless, but I was the visitor so it didn't bother me.

When I take my golfing vacations to Scottsdale I'll bring dress shorts and collared short sleeve shirts because we'll be playing some nice courses. But if what I am wearing is not cut off, I think I should be allowed to wear it.

P.S. I didn't vote because there was not a "depends on the situation" option.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

...Its the same reason why people get dressed up for special occasions like weddings, funerals, holiday parties, etc. Every time I get to play golf its a special occasion. Yep I play nearly 100 rounds a year and every time I play its special. I wouldn't show up at a wedding in a tee shirt and jeans so I won't wear them to a golf course either...

...In business you show up dressed correctly to show respect for the client, if someone dies you dress correctly to show respect for the deceased...

...I know that some may see the dress code as limiting, but would you wear a tank top to a job interview?...

I don't see how these analogies really help to prove the point. For example - there are different types of businesses, weddings, and funerals - all of which may or may not have different types of 'appropriate' attire. Not trying to pick on anyone, I just don't see how these analogies apply.

...Above you said "dressed correctly". To me, in golf; correct is comfortable. Comfort is different for everyone...

And apparently 'correct' is different for everyone too!

...Are you really going to tell me that some kid is not going to take up golf because they couldn't afford a collared shirt and a pair of properly fitting khaki shorts? Come on. You sound silly.

It's possible - Imagine a person who doesn't make much money but loves to play golf. Should that person be penalized for budgeting his money to play golf and not necessarily HAVE to purchase the type of clothes deemed appropriate by some so that he could play/eat? I live in America and times are tough right now. I can afford polo tees and khakis, but I'm not gonna judge someone based on their attire if it's not against the local rules and they just want to play.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I really don't see how anyone is claiming the cost issue, if you've managed to pay for a set of clubs, balls, shoes and the other accesories that go with golf, an pair of trousers and polo is pretty insignificant.

The dress code is what it is. In most cases the right of admission is reserved by the management\ownership.
If you turned up to a restaurant where dinner dress, with tie is required and you were in a vest and shorts, you would be refused entry. Why do some people think it is so wrong for a golf club to do the same?

heres an example:

I've seen people on the course dressed in a colared shirt and Dockers shorts and look like a slob.....shirt halfway out, sweating like a pig, hat all kinds of different colors etc.....and then I've seen people in blue jeans and a T-shirt look very presentable.......so for me the guy wearing blue jeans and T-shirt looked better out there on the course then the guy in the (correct attire)...

for me, it's either here or there, what another person wears is up to them....who am I to say what a grown man or women should/shouldn't wear?

I really don't see how anyone is claiming the cost issue, if you've managed to pay for a set of clubs, balls, shoes and the other accesories that go with golf, an pair of trousers and polo is pretty insignificant.

Another analogy gone wrong - there are cheap sets of clubs. Heck you could assemble a set of clubs at $1 a club. My friend did.

I'm not saying that it is wrong for a golf club to enforce a dress code. I think the idea of dress codes at certain courses and clubs are great! Just like I approve the dress codes enforced on tour, etc. I just don't like when people judge others at those other types of courses ( munis) just because that person doesn't like what he/she is wearing AND there happens to not be a strict dress code policy. They're not disrespecting the course in any way if its not against the rules.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

So you know, I have a decent collection of dri-fit Nike and Adidas golf shirts, a couple of the mock t dri-fits. But I also love tie-dies. Been wearing them for over 30 years. So I break out a Grateful Dead shirt when I play. I always wear cargo shorts during the summer--due to how comfortable they are.

Those tie-dies and cargo shorts are really THAT much more comfortable than your golf shirts and a pair of Dockers?

No disrespect, but I'm not buying the "comfort" argument. Is it more comfortable to wear a baseball hat backwards too?

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

Another analogy gone wrong - there are cheap sets of clubs.

You answered before I could. However I was going to say you could buy clubs and a bag together on Craigslist for $25 to $30 if that's all you could afford. And you can buy a bag of 3 or 4 dozen used balls at Wal-Mart for $15. Shoes you are not going to want to buy used so you'd have to spend $35 minimum? Don't need tees, there are plenty of broken ones all over the tee box (and since I don't use a driver, I don't ever need an unbroken tee). So that's $80 to be able to play, plus greens fees.

And yes, if they let the people out on the course wearing what they are wearing, obviously it must be OK with management.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Note: This thread is 1335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!