IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Here's how I see it, if the course has a posted dress code you have two choices, respect it and dress appropriately, or go to a course that has a less restrictive dress code.  All this trying to convince us that t-shirts look just as good as collared shirts and cargo shorts are just as nice as golf shorts is opinion.   Some like to dress up for golf, others prefer jeans or their comfy shorts and tshirt, it's simple, frequent the courses that encourage your style of dress and don't give the others your money.

As an analogy, I've been invited to a number of black tie events (weddings, charity, etc) over the last few years.  I'm not a big fan of them or getting dressed in a tuxedo with all the trimmings.   I have a choice, I can accept the invite and dress as requested or I can decline.  I don't accept the invite and show up in what I want to wear because I think the clothes I'm wearing looks just as nice as the tuxedo they requested I wear.  Doing so would be disrespectful and put myself and others in an uncomfortable position.

Golf courses know the more restrictive their dress code, the more people they will likely alienate from their course.  Maybe it's naive, or it's intentional but ultimately unless you own your own course you should respect the rules of the course or give your hard earned money to the ones that share your ideals on dress codes.

I believe the original question was asking if dress codes are any good at all for the game, not whether they should be adhered to.

I don't look down on people either, Gresh.  However, I hold myself to a higher standard than you apparently do.  Doesn't mean I look down on you, but I know where I stand in comparison to you.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Why am I not surprised you don't see why some look down on cargo shorts.

High class individual over here.

Let me guess you live in San Fransisco you drive a hybrid and your favorite smell is the smell of your own farts.  High class my butt.  You remind me of the people who get into a state college, that has a 99.9% acceptance rate, and think that you are cool sh*t for going to that school.  Wearing something says nothing about how high class you are.  In most cases it says the opposite.  People trying to cover something up by dressing up.

I don't look down on people either, Gresh.  However, I hold myself to a higher standard than you apparently do.  Doesn't mean I look down on you, but I know where I stand in comparison to you.

You have no idea where you stand in comparison to me.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by trackster

Let me guess you live in San Fransisco you drive a hybrid and your favorite smell is the smell of your own farts.  High class my butt.  You remind me of the people who get into a state college, that has a 99.9% acceptance rate, and think that you are cool sh*t for going to that school.  Wearing something says nothing about how high class you are.  In most cases it says the opposite.  People trying to cover something up by dressing up.

Sorry dude.  Northeast bulge bracket finance guy over here.  State college?  Ha.  Elite northeast private school.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Sorry dude.  Northeast bulge bracket finance guy over here.  State college?  Ha.  Elite northeast private school.

LOL

And your main activity in society seems to be posting on a website forum.  LOL

Why am I not surprised you don't see why some look down on cargo shorts.

High class individual over here.

Quite honestly, if I had to put my life savings on one or the other, my money would be on Gresh24 having more "class" than you.  And it's really not close.  You do have more of something.  And you probably consider it "class," but it's not.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

How many times have you seen me posting here since 2008?  Yeah, I spend all my time here (insert sarcastic font).

I don't care what anybody else does.  But don't you dare say I went to public school.  That's where I draw the line.

What's in the bag

But not as high a standard as golf nerds, apparently.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quite honestly, if I had to put my life savings on one or the other, my money would be on Gresh24 having more "class" than you.

And I would easily win your life savings (the entire $100k that you might have saved up).

What's in the bag

You're right but the majority of posts have been from people justifying why t-shirts and cargo shorts should be permitted which doesn't address the OP'ers question either.  The point I was making is rather than try to justify why your preferred style of dress should be acceptable you should just frequent the ones that already agree with you.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

I believe the original question was asking if dress codes are any good at all for the game, not whether they should be adhered to.

Joe Paradiso

And I would easily win your life savings (the entire $100k that you might have saved up).

The irony, here, is that in attempting to validate your position you are actually offering proof of the opposite.  Congrats.

• Upvote 2

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

We should probably put the cargo shorts thing to bed. There isn't one type of cargo shorts. They can be everything from cut off camo pants from the surplus to actual golf shorts. I just bought some Nike golf cargo shorts. I've worn them to a private club and nobody looked at me like I rolled out of a dumpster.

Dress codes are there for a reason. Either you get it or you don't. Some courses don't enforce the code. It's not uncommon to see violators standing right in front of the freakin' dress code sign at one of the cheap muni's I frequent. I'm not talking about no collars but kids in wife beaters and flip flops. That course also happens to be in the worst condition of all that I play, ball marks, hacked up tees and slow play is an issue. I also see guys peeing in bushes and empty beer cans tossed around the place. I have a love/hate thing for the joint but nothing is so offensive I don't go back. I've been playing there since the 70's. I wish they'd clean it up but if they did I would probably have to pay more and with that I'd take into consideration I could probably find a better course.

Dave :-)

yeah, you can tell a lot about how classy someone is by a message board.  meanwhile, i'm looking down at my Patek Philippe and see that it is time for me to go grab a friday afternoon martini.

What's in the bag

yeah, you can tell a lot about how classy someone is by a message board.  meanwhile, i'm looking down at my Patek Philippe and see that it is time for me to go grab a friday afternoon martini.

9000 dollar watch and you still play the same driver as myself (a poorish college student).  That isn't looking very high class for you.

So you're a midday alcoholic?

Sorry couldn't resist

Originally Posted by trackster

9000 dollar watch and you still play the same driver as myself (a poorish college student).  That isn't looking very high class for you.

that FTI driver was from 2008.  Haven't updated my "what's in your bag" in years.

I do play an older Callaway driver though, from about 2 years ago.  I don't buy into the hype of all the new technology when it hits the market.  If the club is quality, I'll buy a used one in two years.

FTI was a great driver when I played it.

Anyway, not trying to get into a pissing match here, but I don't need people telling me that I went to a public school or that I don't have more class than a cargo shorts wearer who brags about Wal Mart.

Regarding the midday alcoholic comment:  It is Friday.  2 pm on Friday is when people should start sipping some alcohol and preparing for the weekend.

What's in the bag

More like a Sponge Bob watch, free with happy meal and a can of Natty Light I'm guessing.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 1381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!