IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

You're judging people on what they wear. What's next? Length/style of hair of hair, beards? Religion? Color?
IMHO if it's a city/state course they should be no dress code.
Private course it's up to them.
I would never join a course that had me for a member...Marx...er Groucho Marx.

Swing Happy My Friends!

You're judging people on what they wear. What's next? Length/style of hair of hair, beards? Religion? Color?

Correct, I do judge people by what they wear.

Dressing like an adult does not cost any more money than dressing like a slob. Its about having enough pride in yourself and respect for others to put some effort into not looking like a frat boy on a 3 day bender.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

Correct, I do judge people by what they wear.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you don't have enough respect for others to consider that they may not agree with your tastes. It must be a frustrating life for you.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you don't have enough respect for others to consider that they may not agree with your tastes. It must be a frustrating life for you.

Its not about taste.

I enjoy wearing my worn-in (some may say out) shorts and t-shirts as much as the next guy. But I also realize that its not appropriate to wear them to work, to a wedding, or while golfing.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

So excuse me if I don't find the same clothing comfortable. Excuse me if I prefer to be comfortable than to impress you and your buddies. I personally think it's better for the game if you hold off on telling new players that, oh by the way, if you want to try the game out, go buy some new clothes first.

You can still be comfortable in nice clothes, and im sure 90% of grown men already own a pair of slacks and a collared shirt, new golfers or not. And its not like anyone is suggesting they spend 200$ on them. Nice khakis and a golf shirt can be had for 30$ at wal-mart on any day of the week. Jeans and a t-shirt are fine for a mall, a walk in the street, around the house, but they arent accepted on most golf courses. For those few courses that have no dress code, then fine, its acceptable. But if you show up at the CC im a member at dressed like that, you'd be asked to change before you went on the course. Even the Muni im a member at has a light dress code. I also dont understand how anyone could be comfortable in Jeans swinging a golf club. They just dont promote movement that well when their fitted correctly.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Jeans and a t-shirt are fine for a mall, a walk in the street, around the house, but they arent accepted on most golf courses.

I agree completely that they "aren't accepted" on most golf courses. I think that's sad. Most of the places I have played don't have a dress code or have what you'd probably call a "light" one.

I also dont understand how anyone could be comfortable in Jeans swinging a golf club. They just dont promote movement that well when their fitted correctly.

To be honest, I normally don't wear jeans for golfing, but I don't think I'll ever understand the distaste that some people seem to hold for denim. My actual practical dress code concern is more for cargo or hiking type pants or shorts.

Beyond the bizarre ire that denim seems to rouse in golfers, I'm generally puzzled by the idea that someone else looking silly is somehow disrespectful to you as a golfer. Golf to me is a sport, nothing more. If someone looks goofy decked out in their preferred gear, it just means that's how they're comfortable. I'm not defending misbehavior, hygiene that's poor to the point of directly affecting someone else, or other side effects. I've yet to see a good argument why some guy wearing jeans, heck, even jeans that show 4 inches of boxer shorts are harmful to anything. You don't like it? Ok, fine, but don't see how it's good for the game to force people to conform to clothing that you feel is appropriate. And, regardless of the issue of cost, I still think telling someone to go change clothes is a disrespectful way to introduce them to a great sport.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

In my opinion, I think that the pair of Dockers that I have are so much more comfortable than any set of my jeans.

Another thing that I don't really like is how sometimes I'll see people with shirts that are 4 sizes to big for them. I just think it looks semi-slobbish. I'm not saying I like the tiny shirts that some people wear. But why can't you get a shirt that's around your elbows or just short, instead of getting shirts that are in between your wrist and elbow.

I also dont understand how anyone could be comfortable in Jeans swinging a golf club. They just dont promote movement that well when their fitted correctly.

Huh? Do you wear skin tight jeans or something?

You can still be comfortable in nice clothes, and im sure 90% of grown men already own a pair of slacks and a collared shirt, new golfers or not. And its not like anyone is suggesting they spend 200$ on them. Nice khakis and a golf shirt can be had for 30$ at wal-mart on any day of the week.

I would bet that there are more courses where jeans are accepted then there are courses where they are not.

Another thing that I don't really like is how sometimes I'll see people with shirts that are 4 sizes to big for them. I just think it looks semi-slobbish. I'm not saying I like the tiny shirts that some people wear. But why can't you get a shirt that's around your elbows or just short, instead of getting shirts that are in between your wrist and elbow.

Why do you wear what you wear? Are most of you guys who want everybody in khakis and golf shirts the same ones who don't want anybody who shoots over 100 on their course?

i dress snazzy just for the hot beer cart chicks... gotta look good for the ladies... as soon as they turn the corner i get back to hacking away... lol
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I didn't vote either way.

I don't see how dress codes can be good or bad for the game.

I've played at some of the best tracks on the planet, and also some of the worst. I've dressed "appropriately" for each venue.

Many, many times I've teed it up in a T shirt and cargo shorts. In the winter months, I've worn jeans and 6 layers of clothes. Unless you watched me get dressed, you would have no idea whether or not there was a collar under there.

I've also own several golf "outfits" that look impeccable

Would I show up at Oakmont with my Led Zeppilen T shirt and cut off jeans?

Absolutely not!

Have I played Oakmont East* in that type of get up?

Absolutely!

It's not right to judge a person by their clothing. You never know who's wearing what. To say that someone respects the game more, based on shirt size is ludicrous.

*sadly Oakmont East was close in 2007 for the US Open. The rerouted it into a 9 hole private course owned by Oakmont CC. It was maintained by Oakmont and had the best greens ever found at a public course. Last time I played it, I wore dockers...

I played this middle aged guy that was wearing jean shorts, an old beat up American Eagle hat, and a button up hawian shirt back in April or so. But his bag revealed cobra muscleback irons. The dude nearly broke par. Just lipped out a par putt on the last hole for a even round of 71. So judging people by what they wear can lead to a hard lesson in what golf really is supposed to be about. If you have the game, you'll earn respect regardless of what you wear.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

...I come back to my car, and the jerk, who got off the course two groups ahead of us, has ripped my license plate and holder clean off the back of my car and done who-knows-what with it. I check around the trash cans and around the area and it's nowhere to be seen. I check with both the clubhouse and the development security, and both say there are no cameras in the parking lot...Punk-ass outfits, punk-ass behavior.

I think the bolded italicized underlined part of your comment says it all.

...So yes, dress may not speak about your personality or values, but it speaks volumes about your ethics.

I think we all know who's ethics have completely blown us all away. We're all proud of you

...wait, you're not done!
...You play baseball in a certain uniform, same for hockey, and golf, the gym, and any other activity have a certain style of dress, all different...You dont show up at a baseball game with a 3 piece...You dont go to an interview in jeans, and you dont go to a business meeting in a hockey jersey....

Baseball players (as well as hockey, football, basketball, or any other team sport) play in uniforms for different reasons - being easy to tell one team apart from another is the first reason to come to mind. And wearing a 3-piece to a ball game? Well that all depends - if its the team uniform then sure! If you're a spectator, why not? And for the record - I have gone to an interview in jeans (and got the job). You could go to a business meeting in a hockey jersey if you wanted to, ask Steve Jobs.

Since you're a business owner I respect your opinion on this matter, but If you ever called me into an interview, please believe I will be as dapper as James Bond but will rip a loud resounding poo-gas Afterall, its the conduct ( ) that matters - not the attire ( ).
...So what do you guys think? Do the same rules apply to the range as they do for the course? Would it be wrong of me to wear something a little more relaxed to the range?

I see nothing wrong with feeling relaxed.

332 to 56. Enough said.

Its really a trick poll - I voted good for the game, but disagree with so many that voted the same. There needs to be more choices.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

LOL, thanks for the response, I was starting to wonder if anyone had even see the question I put out there!

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

i dress snazzy just for the hot beer cart chicks... Gotta look good for the ladies... As soon as they turn the corner i get back to hacking away... Lol

+1..........

Weapons in my Texas Tech golf bag

FT3 Fusion Driver Aldila NV shaft
junk.. irons
Cobra wedges White Steel Putter lots of beer

Note: This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!