IGNORED

Majors or Money?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. If you could only have one of these, which would you choose?

• Major Championship Victories
    • Millions of Dollars in Prize Money

Let's say that you're a talented young amateur golfer. One day, an Indian shaman (native American or subcontinental, your pick) comes to your course and tells you that he foresees a great and prosperous future for you.

"Does that mean that I will win the Masters, make millions of dollars, and own my own jet?" you ask.

"Perhaps," the shaman replies.

"Perhaps what?"

"There are two distinct paths to success that you find yourself at crossroads of. One path leads to many major victories. You shall win the Grand Slam. In addition, you shall win the Masters, U.S. Open, and British Open several times each."

"And what about the PGA Championship?"

"You will never compete in the PGA Championship."

"But if I don't win the PGA, how will I win the Grand Slam?"

"Bobby Jones never won the PGA, either, but he still won the Grand Slam."

"You mean I..."

"Yes. You shall also win the U.S. and British Amateurs on many occasions, because if you take the path that leads to many great championships, you must never play golf as a professional."

"And never make money?"

"Not if you follow the other path. The second path leads to riches you have never imagined. By the end of your playing career, you will have won 25 PGA Tour events, and be in the top 10 in career earnings."

"Then what's the catch?"

"If you take this second path, those major triumphs will all disappear. You will come very close to winning a major on many occasions, but victory shall always remain just beyond your grasp. You will be a very wealthy man, but for the rest of your life you will hear people talk about how you never won a major."

--

If you had to choose between championships or fortune, and the possession of one forbade possession of the other, which one would you choose?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator
Take the majors. The money will come, and quite likely while you're playing because some company will hire you just to be associated with them.

But I could see it going the other way: you could look at golf as a job, and tens or hundreds of millions of dollars would go a long way towards setting you and your family up for several generations.

P.S. If you win another major, you get to play in the PGA (and Michelle Wie played in the LPGA Championship without even doing that, as an amateur on a sponsor's exemption, which I found strange).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think majors separate good players from great players. Kenny Perry is a good player but could never be described as a great player- Colin Montgomerie falls in to the same category as this.

Although Daly, Duval, and Davis Love have all earnt less than KP in career earnings i still regard them as better players than KP and Monty by virtue of their major success.

The jury is still out in my view as to whether the PGA Championship is really a major. Perhaps the Players is of higher stature than the PGA Champs.

All the minor events that Kenny Perry has won this year to top up his earnings does not mean he has been a great player on tour this year and i do not believe he should get a Ryder Cup spot, even if he should qualify.

money comes and goes. your name on major championship trophies and a green jacket are priceless. the pga has a deeper field then the masters. so it is a major. the players is just below the majors and will remain so because of the 17 th hole.

I'll take the majors...

The implication is that by winning the majors I'll be playing in them. So, I assume that the money will take care of itself.

Over time in all sports it's the winners that are recognized... the also rans don't make the news.
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

Id take the majors. Money is great, but it doesnt bring lasting happiness. Winning many majors would immortalize you in terms of golf, which is something that money cant buy.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

The money for sure. Who cares if your name is on some dumb cup that they wont let you have anyway.
In the bag
driver- G5
3wood-
5wood-
irons- cpr 4-pw[B]wedges[/B]- 52,56,60 cg12putter-odyssey:

I'll take the majors...

I think the implication was you will win the majors as an amateur, and always retain amateur status, so no prize money or endorsement money.

I think the implication was you will win the majors as an amateur, and always retain amateur status, so no prize money or endorsement money.

Indeed, it was. Whether or not you have a law degree to fall back on like Jones is up to you.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Please.....give me the major.

Unless of course I am a great sportswriter like I hope to be for the event...then - money.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

I'll take the money, thanks . . . or I would if this was for real! Yep, money every time.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I'd rather wear the Green JAcket, or have my name engraved in the Wanamaker 5 times. Having the record for most majors and being the best all time player is what drives me.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

i would say majors cuz money, you can't take it with you but you will be recognized in heaven for your major championship victories

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Majors. It's like they said on a program about phil mickelson: "If you never win a major... your kind of a wannabe"

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

If you can perform at the pressure of a major and win, you are playing at the highest level of your trade and no amount of money can duplicate that satisfaction to yourself.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Majors. It's like they said on a program about phil mickelson: "If you never win a major... your kind of a wannabe"

But you're a wannabe with a lotta money.

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

You'll be remembered for your accomplishments, not how much money you won (assuming most care about their legacy). Like it was said earlier, they both are intertwined, so you would be rich either way.

Take the Majors.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!