IGNORED

Phil One of the 10 Most Hated Athletes

iacas
Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not sure what to make of Phil. There are times when I see the phony side of him, but then you read the big tipping articles like this one and others. I've followed him at tournaments and he has seemed nice. Perhaps he is just human like most of us with pluses and minuses.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

My only gripe with Phil is his inconsistency - he KILLS me whenever I put him on my fantasy team !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallStriker

I, for one, have never understood the Phil haters........

There is a reason he is known as FIGJAM-And his agent does him no favors and phoniness is not a great quality.

Now that's funny (google it) ... anybody at the top of anything has to have some sense of ego to get there, I don't hold it against Phil.

What I do hold against him when he goes -4 one day, then because of that, I pick him up on my fantasy team, and he goes +6 the next day - fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

There is a reason he is known as FIGJAM-And his agent does him no favors and phoniness is not a great quality.

Phoniness, ridiculous. Dude has been smiling his way down fairways for 20 years. After that long it is no longer phony, it's reality. Phil is his own man. I have no doubt some pros didn't like him probably cuz they're azzholes and Phil couldn't stand them so he treated them accordingly. But enough with the phony talk.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Phoniness, ridiculous. Dude has been smiling his way down fairways for 20 years. After that long it is no longer phony, it's reality. Phil is his own man. I have no doubt some pros didn't like him probably cuz they're azzholes and Phil couldn't stand them so he treated them accordingly. But enough with the phony talk.

I will stop calling him phony when he stops being phony-Recent Personal experience. Do not tell me when it is enough. Nice thing about this world is that you get to have your opinion and I get to have mine.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I doubt Phil is any more phony or cocky than other professional athletes who have had long successful careers.  In the beginning I'm sure it's flattering to have people want to high five you and sign autographs 24/7 but it has to get old after 20 years of doing it.  Fans expect these guys to bend over backwards for them and when they don't, they trash the guy in forums, blogs and the media.

I give Tiger credit because he never played the game, he signed autographs when he wanted and took the heat when he didn't.

I'm not going to base any opinions on Phil because one member here had a bad experience with him.  I still think overall he's a good guy and has been great at golf.

Joe Paradiso

I doubt Phil is any more phony or cocky than other professional athletes who have had long successful careers.  In the beginning I'm sure it's flattering to have people want to high five you and sign autographs 24/7 but it has to get old after 20 years of doing it.  Fans expect these guys to bend over backwards for them and when they don't, they trash the guy in forums, blogs and the media.

I give Tiger credit because he never played the game, he signed autographs when he wanted and took the heat when he didn't.

I'm not going to base any opinions on Phil because one member here had a bad experience with him.  I still think overall he's a good guy and has been great at golf.

Through getting to know his father-in-law and brother I've had a couple quick interactions with Phil, he is a nice guy and more "real" when he's not on tour. He's definitely cocky, likes to bust chops and likes to gamble. I think the phoniness comes out when he's trying too hard to make sure people like him or doing what he feels he "should" do.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Through getting to know his father-in-law and brother I've had a couple quick interactions with Phil, he is a nice guy and more "real" when he's not on tour. He's definitely cocky, likes to bust chops and likes to gamble. I think the phoniness comes out when he's trying too hard to make sure people like him or doing what he feels he "should" do.

Thanks for sharing Mike.  I have no doubt Phil can be a bit over the top in trying to maintain his "image" but I consider that part of the business and not a real indication of how he is as a person.

Joe Paradiso

Why does doing what you feel like you "should" do make you phony? I do things I don't feel like doing sometimes because I know it's the right thing to do. I don't see the problem with that....

Why does doing what you feel like you "should" do make you phony? I do things I don't feel like doing sometimes because I know it's the right thing to do. I don't see the problem with that....

Because in Phil's case it's perceived as being insincere, the perfect family man image with the goofy smile. I think the truth is somewhere between, he's not as calculating as some people make him out to be and he's not as squeaky clean nice as he tries to make himself.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!