IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't read every post, but I don't see too many 20+ handicappers bragging about 300 yard averages. In fact, I can't recall of any, at least on this forum. I suspect you guys are all talking about people you meet on the course.

formerly tmevoli

Burner 9.5
R5 FW
Halo 2i CG4 3i - Pw Eye 2 SW OZ putteriGolf Neowhatever ball i find

Instead of measuring with a string and all that you could just get one of those laser finders to measure the distance. Would be much easier. I used to be a 20 handicapper and I can't imagine averaging 300 yard drives with all the mishits.

« Keith »

I agree with the topic, but don't really care what other people shoot. I would say I average at about 200-210 meters. My swing is nowhere near hitting 275 meters (which is 300 yards). I don't have any wish to hit it further either at this point. All I want to do is improve my swing and hit the ball correct. I expect the distance will come in time if I improve.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

from there i might blade a 60 across the green,

How anyone could hit a 300 yard drive and blade a 60 degree sand wedge in the same hole is beyond me.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

How anyone could hit a 300 yard drive and blade a 60 degree sand wedge in the same hole is beyond me.

Its remarkably easy, actually. Apart from the 300 yard drive bit. But a good drive followed by a bladed iron/wedge isn't that uncommon...

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I think the answer is self evident any 20 hcap who can hit a 300 yrd drive slices into the heavy rough on the right or hooks into the heavy rough on the left on almost every tee , they lose 5 balls a round and never make more than 2 greens in regulation , which they then 3 putt. So they can hit a 300 yrd drive big deal .

In all my years of playing I have come across 1 person who could get it out there 300 yards and was a terrible golfer.

The closer this guy got to the hole, the worse he got.

If you can hit it 300 yds and are still a 20 hcp - sell your clubs

This has to be my favorite thread so far on this board.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

I think the answer is self evident any 20 hcap who can hit a 300 yrd drive slices into the heavy rough on the right or hooks into the heavy rough on the left on almost every tee , they lose 5 balls a round and never make more than 2 greens in regulation , which they then 3 putt. So they can hit a 300 yrd drive big deal .

You do realize that if you

slice a 300 yard drive, that same ball would have gone 350+ yards if straight, right? A slice, for me, takes at least 30 to 50 yards off my carry. It also produces less roll. That argument is bogus. I totally agree that if you have the technique to AVERAGE 300 yards, you should be capable of chipping a ball properly.

- ever had one blown back at you?)

I hit a -2 yard Drive on Sunday. A long Par 5 needed to make it to the dogleg, I rared back gave it all I got. Topped it, it went straight into the ground and sprung back behind me. The rest of the day was worse : ) My very longest drive ever was about 275-280 with a lot of roll on hard ground, most are much shorter for me.

In the bag:
MX-100 Irons
Wedges 54*
60* SV Tour Wedge
putter 3-Wood, 5-wood 10.5* driverLimbo Ball

Happens to me too often...though I top out my drives at 255ish - NOT 300

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I guess I must be missing the chromosome that influences drive yardage inflation... I have no problem with the fact that I hit the ball and average of 220 with a personal best of 258.

Some of my buddies, however, are delusional... they don't seem to understand that I have a gps and know exactly how far they are driving the ball

Oh well, I let them have their fantasies for the most part.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

If you have a swing that is so erratic that you hit a 50 yard duff then there is no freakin' way that you have the swing speed, swing mechanics, much less the lag pressure required to hit a 300 yard drive with no wind and flat ground.

You forget that every driver out on the market right now is a 460cc boat oar. So it is possible for someone to swing absolutely out of their shoes, hit it somewhere on the sweet spot, and bomb one out there. Granted, it's likely that it will be 50-60 yards right or left, but long.

I'm not saying it's common, just that it is possible. Think about it...how many times do you see guys out on the range with two buckets of balls hitting driver after driver after driver. Sure, they may get to the point where they are hitting the ball to the moon, but they are neglecting the other 85% of the game. I see it all the time. Out of about 95-100 shots in a round (for a 20 handicapper), you only practice a shot you hit maybe 13 or 14 times a round?

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

This thread has made me laugh,i think this is maybe a boast of younger men.
I'm in my mid thirties and gave up on the distance thing within the first 6 months.

I hit 99 on my last 18,and left my driver at home.I putted so badly that i 3 PUTTED 12 OUT OF 18 GREENS,so you see my main problem.I'm more likely to get frustrated about a missed 4 foot putt then worry about my yardage with a driver.

I have a young friend who can smash the ball past mine,but the rest of his game sucks,likes to boast about it at every opportunity,but I'll keep playing better golf all day then having his drive.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I have a young friend who can smash the ball past mine,but the rest of his game sucks,likes to boast about it at every opportunity,but I'll keep playing better golf all day then having his drive.

It almost never fails, when I play with people, they try to hit drives farther than I do. I see people just kill themselves trying to show me up with their drives. Now, I'm not a huge hitter by any stretch. The big thing for me is that I'm consistent. I may have days where my max drive is 260, but I think that people see that and equate it to me hitting it long. But I guess a 260 yard drive that's dead down the middle of the fairway is farther than 240 off the tee, but with a 50 yard slice.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

My two cents and rant, as I guess I am missing the point here, I am 39 and I consider myself a high handicapper, which seems to change constantly mostly due to inconsistency and only being able to get out once or twice a week. Last weekend I shot a 75 on a par 69 course and this Saturday I shot a 86 on the same course, all due to my very frustrating inconsistencies. My swing is the same, I just seem to leave out a few things like the same set-up or ball position or swing harder than I should resulting in a very fat shot, but it is all slowly coming together.

Now, even as a high handicapper, if my swing is right, I have been able to drive 300+ in the fairway, and I am not saying I do every time, trust me it don't happen as often as I would like it to, but it does happen.

Yesterday was a perfect example, I golfed at this course http://www.blackrockgolfcourse.com for the first time, we got there late and did not have a chance to warm up, so for the front nine I was just trying to swing easy and loosen up, but all of my drives (with driver) hooked, which became frustrating and of course affected the rest of the hole, which resulted in many fat shots and poor chipping, I shot a 52 on the front.

When we made the turn I figured that the easier I swung the more hook I got, so it finally clicked in my head to just swing normally and of course focus on each shot. I shot a 40 on the back, and every drive on the back landed in the fairway, except for the two par threes, which both landed on the green.

Here are a few of the results to give you an idea of what I am talking about, yardages are from the White Tees that we played:
Hole 10, 355 yards: second shot was a 50 yard chip from the left corner of the fairway.
Hole 13, 402 yards: second shot was a nine iron from 110 yards in the center of the fairway.
Hole 14, 519 yards: second shot was a 5 wood from 204 yards in the center of the fairway straight on the green.
Hole 16, 473: second shot was a rescue club uphill from 180 yards on the right side of the fairway landing on the left corner of the green.

Again, I may be missing the point of this thread, and I don't hit 300 yards every time I pick up my driver, but just because I am a high handicapper that can hit it that far on my good days doesn't mean that I should sell my clubs and stop golfing, or that all high handicappers are full of BS, and yes there are plenty out there that are.
/end rant

Gus
---------------

Note: This thread is 1531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!