IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Look you have no more than 400 yards. and you have 2 shots on each hole.

if you hit hybrid 200 yards you can manage a 7iron to fly 150 and you can be reasonable sure you hit fairway with that club

after 2x 7I you leave a PW distance to get to the green. add 3 strokes for the last part ( can be done in 2 also ) you will make

bogey at least.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Look you have no more than 400 yards. and you have 2 shots on each hole.

if you hit hybrid 200 yards you can manage a 7iron to fly 150 and you can be reasonable sure you hit fairway with that club

after 2x 7I you leave a PW distance to get to the green. add 3 strokes for the last part ( can be done in 2 also ) you will make

bogey at least.

I think his post indicates that they are par 5, so he would be in regulation with a wedge or on in 2. Par is very possible.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How do you attack the green. At 3rd hole. In HIGH WIND conditions. That green is my nemesis. All terrain is fairly flat at my course except slight tilt and slopes at the greens themselves. Also 6th hole water on the left, has taken fair share of balls down into davy jones's locker... I have succeeded at bogey on the easier 6th hole. It seems prudent to attack the green totally from the right side rough. This way you will comfidently avoid water, IMO

How do you attack the green. At 3rd hole. In HIGH WIND conditions. That green is my nemesis. All terrain is fairly flat at my course except slight tilt and slopes at the greens themselves.

Also 6th hole water on the left, has taken fair share of balls down into davy jones's locker...

How high a wind? I consider about 20mph a medium/high wind and 30mph and higher really high. We had something in between that in Texas, but it was playable with low shots.

I would put the ball back in my stance and attempt a knock down shot. My miss with a knock down is usually a long rolling ball. Goes out maybe 150 yards then rolls for another 50 yards or so. Not sure how hard your fairways are in Finland, but a knockdown is the best bet.

If the wind is below 15mph, then I would use my standard shot.

Stop hitting your balls into the water on the 6th! B-) Aim away from the water, it looks like you can from the map you sent, unless there are marshes in the rough.

I will say that at least you are using the correct tees for your skill level, and that's really good thinking.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

How do you attack the green.

Let's stick to the topic at hand, please.

Thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

d- 250-270

3w- 245

hy- 220

4i- 199

5i- 185

6i- 175

7i- 169

8i- 155

9i- 144

w- 131

sw- 109

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

Figure I should update because all of a sudden my distance has greatly increased.  After breaking my driver last summer I went and picked up a new one (My current RBZ) and my swing speed was about 107 on average which resulted on a good drive about 275.  Now after a winter of hitting the gym my driver distance has increased durastically.

Driver: 290 (over 12 drives varrying from 260 into a strong breeze and 330 downwind)

3 W: 270

21 H: 240

4i: 230-240

5i: 220

6i: 210

7i: 190

8i: 175

9i: 165

PW: 155

GW: 140

SW: 125

LW: 105

My irons haven't changed distance alot but my driver is a lot better.  If I can drive like I did this past Saturday then I suspect my handicap could drop into the single digits with more practice.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Figure I should update because all of a sudden my distance has greatly increased.  After breaking my driver last summer I went and picked up a new one (My current RBZ) and my swing speed was about 107 on average which resulted on a good drive about 275.  Now after a winter of hitting the gym my driver distance has increased durastically.

Driver: 290 (over 12 drives varrying from 260 into a strong breeze and 330 downwind)

3 W: 270

21 H: 240

4i: 230-240

5i: 220

6i: 210

7i: 190

8i: 175

9i: 165

PW: 155

GW: 140

SW: 125

LW: 105

My irons haven't changed distance alot but my driver is a lot better.  If I can drive like I did this past Saturday then I suspect my handicap could drop into the single digits with more practice.

Those carry distance or with roll?

And 260 against the wind? That's pretty good, you're a definite long bomber!!!

I'm still happy with my new best drive, so far. Certified 275 yard carry with range balls, with Callaway Big Bertha 10,5. Wind was only slight right to left breeze :surrender:

-my best distances, total distances, with range balls.

- Driver solid hit: 260-280 yards

- hybrids 21deg/24deg : solid hit: 215 yards

-irons probably still follow the same old distances. I try to only bomb driver because it's always a perfect lie - on top of the tee!!! Gotta use those perfect lies in my opinion.

52deg wedge : i don't even know

56deg wedge : i don't even know

60deg wedge : I don't even know

PW : 115 yard

9i: 125 yard

8i: 135 yard

7i: 145 yard

etc... (would that be accurate to estimate long irons, like that? Relaxed swing and good hit.

Often times I can manage the course with mid irons and hybrids, especially from close tees. So, I don't often times use long irons too much...

Short game lesson is planned for next weekend for pitch, lob and chip shots. I'm quite good at bunker shots though, I often end up in bunkers as a high handicapper!!!

Those carry distance or with roll?

And 260 against the wind? That's pretty good, you're a definite long bomber!!!

Usually, a lower handicap will put full average course distances. Yes, he hits far.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This threads a joke, I'm sure the OP had good intentions to begin with but too many people think their best potential is their average and that is simply not the case, realistic a lot of these guys saying 275+ are really closer to 235+, honestly I couldn't care less what lies people want to confuse themselves with but just remember it's you that your fooling not me.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

This threads a joke, I'm sure the OP had good intentions to begin with but too many people think their best potential is their average and that is simply not the case, realistic a lot of these guys saying 275+ are really closer to 235+, honestly I couldn't care less what lies people want to confuse themselves with but just remember it's you that your fooling not me.

This thread's been going on for 9 years and 1650 posts.....and you just figured that out? ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This thread's been going on for 9 years and 1650 posts.....and you just figured that out?

Stop complaining, I already adjusted for my internet distances, so I look somewhat closer to the normal here. You just need to do the same. . . B-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I guess with American hcp style average, you apply the same average into driver distance? It's not strict mathematic mean value, but it's something.

American golfer is expected to hit his hcp only 1/4 games, so yea... It's not about his/her actual average score in this case.

If the ball at my local range hits the safety fence, damn right it goes to 275 yards minimum. That's because I asked about the distance from range staff.

But it's good to set goals for yourself, realize those goals and set new ones aint that the truth? :beer:

And technically it's not lying if you don't say it's mathematical average but more like a center hit, and you average out the distances from center hits... As long as you mention or admit that this was the method... or something... read the fine print :-P

If we are talking real averages, where every shot is calculated in then my average drive would be around 230-240. That's not my "normal" drive though, I normally have 250-260 ish drives but can hit much further than that. I agree people tend to see this topic and think "how far can I hit it" not "how far do I usually hit it". I don't exaggerate my length, if I have 130s yards to the green I hit AW, if I have 140s I hit pw, etc.

It's been pretty typical for people to dismiss what some of us say because of our handicap. I'm used to it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I guess with American hcp style average, you apply the same average into driver distance? It's not strict mathematic mean value, but it's something. American golfer is expected to hit his hcp only 1/4 games, so yea... It's not about his/her actual average score in this case. If the ball at my local range hits the safety fence, damn right it goes to 275 yards minimum. That's because I asked about the distance from range staff. But it's good to set goals for yourself, realize those goals and set new ones aint that the truth? :beer: And technically it's not lying if you don't say it's mathematical average but more like a center hit, and you average out the distances from center hits... As long as you mention or admit that this was the method... or something... read the fine print :-P

Yup, works the same way as handicap. Most of us understate our distances on a forum. Just add 20-30 yards to get our average distances.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I never noticed the association people place on distances relative to handicaps nor how much judgement is placed on a handicap until I got on here. I've never even had an official handicap, I just put down 4 cause last year it seemed like my avg. score was +4 for 18. I'm sure if it was a real handicap it would probably be higher because I don't consider the courses I frequent to be very difficult.

As far as club distances go vs handicap, I don't pay much attention. I get beat by guys all the time who don't hit it as far as I do. If a 20hcp'r says he hits it 300yds when he catches it I believe it, but I don't think he can repeat it very often or keep it straight. Oh well, I'm off to test a couple 48" shafts :)

I never noticed the association people place on distances relative to handicaps nor how much judgement is placed on a handicap until I got on here. I've never even had an official handicap, I just put down 4 cause last year it seemed like my avg. score was +4 for 18. I'm sure if it was a real handicap it would probably be higher because I don't consider the courses I frequent to be very difficult.

As far as club distances go vs handicap, I don't pay much attention. I get beat by guys all the time who don't hit it as far as I do. If a 20hcp'r says he hits it 300yds when he catches it I believe it, but I don't think he can repeat it very often or keep it straight. Oh well, I'm off to test a couple 48" shafts :)

Look into the Cobra "Long Tom". Write a review. Thanks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If we are talking real averages, where every shot is calculated in then my average drive would be around 230-240. That's not my "normal" drive though, I normally have 250-260 ish drives but can hit much further than that. I agree people tend to see this topic and think "how far can I hit it" not "how far do I usually hit it". I don't exaggerate my length, if I have 130s yards to the green I hit AW, if I have 140s I hit pw, etc.

It's been pretty typical for people to dismiss what some of us say because of our handicap. I'm used to it.

I prefer to go with a more engineering method, go find the 85th percentile. It's what used for speed studies on vehicles, might as well use it for the driver :beer:

Shockingly I don't lie about my distance because when people see me hit the ball they go, "Oh yea, he can hit it that far". So I rather just be honest then undervalue my skills.

I would say higher handicappers OVER estimate their distance by a lot more than lower handicappers.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!