IGNORED

ProV1's - Enough Already

Note: This thread is 3466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play Pro-V's because they are the best. (Actually the best ever were the old Titleist Professionals, but I'd have to replace them after 9 holes) I've played 3+ rounds with the same Pro-V before and it still performed like new. In my experience other top shelf balls wear out after somewhere between 9 to 18 holes.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

i really have to agree with big m so many people play the pro v1 that shouldn't like i can recall at least 30 people i have played with this year that played them and lost 12 a round cause they couldn't control there drives. i mean look at the ball comparissions thread there are tons of balls first of all with more spin the pro v1 and there are tons of balls that have spin like 10 000 9000 rpm of spin that you can control and spin on the greens
my hat goes of to titliest marketing on this one bravo titliest.

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

M,

Maybe you are seeing more golfers play with them because they can find great deals on them? For instance, there are a few ebay sellers that sell them for $1-$2, each, in really good condition.

Therefore, they are taking the opportunity to play a premium ball at a lesser ball price.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Regardless of whether you play a Pro-V or a Top-Flight, I will say that I think it's important to play a ball you like and stick with it...that is if you're skill level and feel is good enough to tell the difference between balls. I find that when I play a different ball from my usual it definitely throws me off.

R7 Superquad

Exotics 18*

Exotics 25*

AP2 (2008)

CG15 56* & 60*

Rossa Imola 8

TP Black LDP

Regardless of whether you play a Pro-V or a Top-Flight, I will say that I think it's important to play a ball you like and stick with it...that is if you're skill level and feel is good enough to tell the difference between balls. I find that when I play a different ball from my usual it definitely throws me off.

I agree I think the biggest problem amateurs have is switching balls far to often. Even if you are going for value balls, pick one you like and stick with it...and STOP practicing your putting with range balls.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

This is something I struggle with so much, which ball to use. I rarely lose a ball, mostly just retire them so I do not feel bad about playing a more expensive ball. I actually play Callaway, something I like about the hex dimples and the feel around the green. Does anybody know where you can go to get unbiased information on balls spin rates etc.? I realize they are using an Iron Byron, but some sort or data other than "longest ball" or "most spin" would help. I am actually considering buying a few different sleeves of different balls, and seeing if I can get on a launch monitor with my driver and see what I find out. Has anybody done that?

Driver Cleveland 460 Launcher 9.5*
Hybrids Cobra Baffler 2R, 3R, 4R
Irons Mizuno MX-23
Wedges Vokey 248.06, SM54.14 and SM60.04
Putter Rife Island Series AbacoBall Callaway Tour ix Rangefinder Bushnell 1500 Laser Rangefinder

I agree switching balls is a problem, but it seems that about half the balls, especially in the lower end, go away after a year or two. The premium ones seem to stick around.

Irons Mizuno MX-23
Putter Rife Island Series AbacoBall Callaway Tour ix Rangefinder Bushnell 1500 Laser Rangefinder

Does anybody know where you can go to get unbiased information on balls spin rates etc.? I realize they are using an Iron Byron, but some sort or data other than "longest ball" or "most spin" would help. I am actually considering buying a few different sleeves of different balls, and seeing if I can get on a launch monitor with my driver and see what I find out. Has anybody done that?

Consider this thread.....

http://www.thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18770

• Administrator
.................... ...

The distance is with, what, an 8-iron? Because the Laddie is a lower compression ball that I'll sometimes play when it's really cold out (partly because I don't care so much if they get lost beneath leaves, partly because the lower compression feels better when it's really cold out).

Those numbers obviously aren't with the driver. Plus, 300 RPM matters. I can tell the difference between a Pro V1 and a Pro V1x, and they're awfully similar, so of course I can tell the difference between a two-piece surlyn ball and a three-piece urethane ball. The cover material alone makes a difference.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That thread is awesome, thank you! It confirms that I need to try out a Bridgestone 330. I am thinking the 330 rx may be a good one to try. Thanks again, I love this forum!

Irons Mizuno MX-23

the OP would absolutely hate my friend... he's the guy that has money to burn... calls himself a golfer... brand new everything from towel to bag to clubs to shoes and cant play for squat... rolls up in his merc and acts like a big shot... runs thru a dozen pro v's a round and even had to 'borrow' a ball or 2 of mine just to finish and still complains cuz the nxt's arent what he's used to... hahaha... but it doesnt phase me a bit... its his money an he can do whatever he wants with it as long as he doesnt 'borrow' too many of mine
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

That thread is awesome, thank you! It confirms that I need to try out a Bridgestone 330. I am thinking the 330 rx may be a good one to try. Thanks again, I love this forum!

I have been wanting to try those, they seem like a really good ball. I hope more companies catch on to the "slow swing speed tour ball"

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

When I pull in to the parking lot at the golf course, I see a lot of good players who were smartly playing Pro V balls on the course get into their AMG Mercedes cars and then drive like Mr. Magoo. They do not have the skill to appreciate the handling of those cars, and can get into trouble with the horsepower. It doesn't bug me, though.

It doesn't bug me either but it is laughable.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I love when I read crap like this. Please inform me why you care what balls people are playing? If someone makes enough money to afford playing premium balls then so be it. I see that you are a "single-digit". You are probably just like many, NOT ALL, "single-digits" that I've come across........You think that you are god's gift to golf, have a crappy job that allows for a lot of golf, little to no savings, etc........ Am I far off here???? Keep up the good work down and keep saving that minimum wage.....maybe one day you can afford non-clone clubs and maybe even some ProVs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I love when I read crap like this. Please inform me why you care what balls people are playing? If someone makes enough money to afford playing premium balls then so be it. I see that you are a "single-digit". You are probably just like many, NOT ALL, "single-digits" that I've come across........You think that you are god's gift to golf, have a crappy job that allows for a lot of golf, little to no savings, etc........ Am I far off here???? Keep up the good work down and keep saving that minimum wage.....maybe one day you can afford non-clone clubs and maybe even some ProVs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just finished law school and studdying for the BAR exam... so you're way off base. Just a heads up... point of a rant... it doesn't need to make sense, it's just a little tick I have, and obviously some people agreed with me. And, no, I'm not God's gift to golf, hell... I'm not even good, but if it makes you feel better to think the things you do, then go ahead. My posts were'nt mean spirited like yours, but I guess you just don't have a lot of class. I also notice that you may be the person who is an ass to play with... I often go out as a single if my wife or brother-in-law aren't around, and I like playing with people of all abilities and income levels... you seem like you might be biased against people who make less than you or people who are better at golf then you, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

geez, that was kind of harsh. all the single digit handicappers you've come across have crappy jobs and little or no savings, huh??? unbelievable. some of us have a lot of time for golf because we own our own companies and take the time off to play when we want....

Just finished law school and studdying for the BAR exam... so you're way off base. Just a heads up... point of a rant... it doesn't need to make sense, it's just a little tick I have, and obviously some people agreed with me. And, no, I'm not God's gift to golf, hell... I'm not even good, but if it makes you feel better to think the things you do, then go ahead. My posts were'nt mean spirited like yours, but I guess you just don't have a lot of class. I also notice that you may be the person who is an ass to play with... I often go out as a single if my wife or brother-in-law aren't around, and I like playing with people of all abilities and income levels... you seem like you might be biased against people who make less than you or people who are better at golf then you, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Hmmmm.....your post wasn't mean spirited? "Why the hell does every two bit hack of a golfer with a little money need to play these balls". It just came off a bit arrogant to me, but maybe I'm wrong. It seemed to me that you were painting a picture of some rich guy at the country club with $5000 clubs,

proVs , and a 30+ HC. Maybe I read to much in to your post..........

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Hmmmm.....your post wasn't mean spirited? "Why the hell does every two bit hack of a golfer with a little money need to play these balls". It just came off a bit arrogant to me, but maybe I'm wrong. It seemed to me that you were painting a picture of some rich guy at the country club with $5000 clubs,

I don't think hack is necessarily a derrogatory term, but maybe it IS a little harsh. I WAS kind of trying to paint the picture of a rich guy with a high handicap who is playing ProVs for the wrong reasons. Not to be arrogant, just to ask why so many guys are all about the ProVs, when there really isn't any sense in that person playing them... or maybe a different ball would work BETTER for them. I don't REALLY care... as I said earlier this thread was inspired by someone recomending ProVs for an Xmas gift when they knew nothing of the other golfers skill, abilities, or needs. I was simply having fun with the fact that I THINK, many people plays these balls not because it is the best ball for them, but because of advertising, ego, misperceptions, and otherwise.

P.S. I feel similarly about Scotty Cameron putters, but not to the same extent. I think they are a little over-priced and some people buy them more for image than performance. Not saying Scotty's don't perform, they are very nice putters... just think that performance and fit isn't always the purchasor's motivation.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 3466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!