IGNORED

Tiger upstage Phil on Purpose

Bluenoser67
Note: This thread is 5552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know I'm a little late with this but bear with me. It seemed a little funny that on the day that Phil finally started to show signs of his old Self (that being the 63 he shot on Thursday in the opening round of the Northern Trust) Tiger decides to announce his comeback in the afternoon. Essentially stopping all talk of Phils great round and turning on the Tiger marketing machine.

The relationship between Tiger and Phil is well documented as not being chummy but I think Tiger purposely announced one day early (since he normally would announce on Friday his intent to play in the upcoming tournament) was a deliberate slap in old Phil's face.

I really couldnt care less But find it funny and wonder if anybody else saw it the same as I.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

I don't thik Phil is on Tiger's mind at all, and Phil's play has no bearing on what Tiger does.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

• Administrator
Way to assume. I doubt Tiger cared one bit about what Phil does.

He had to announce prior to a certain deadline. It just happened to be the time in which Phil was finally doing well. It's not like he knew two weeks prior when Phil was still sucking.

"Fallacy of False Cause..."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with Jay-Bird on this one. After 9 months of absence and recently having a son, why on earth would Phil's results be the deciding factor for Tiger's return? Tiger says he hasn't paid much attention to the Tour during his recovery and I honestly believe him. He's got such strong mentality, it doesn't matter how much the news write about upcoming golfers like Villegas, Kim and McIlroy, he has to play his best to beat them anyways. He will gain nothing from paying attention to them. Especially during his recovery his mind must be 100% focused on it.

I also don't think the players think or care as much about the other players like the papers sometimes tries to convince us. They have their game to work on, they travel all year long, most of them have a wife and family, most of them are grown men. They play their game, if someone else is better, fine, then they have to work even harder on their game, because they can't expect the others to fail.

Also, I think Tiger is a nice guy, he has no need to show off to Phil anywhere but on the course, and there he can only let his game do the talking. It's no secret those two aren't exactly best friends forever, but the media enjoy intrigues and make more out of a situation than was in it.
Same goes with Phil by the way, he's got his family, his life and his game. It doesn't matter what Tiger is doing, Phil needs to play great no matter who is playing against him.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Tiger says he hasn't paid much attention to the Tour during his recovery.

Things that make Tim Finchem cringe. If anyone in the game cares about getting attention for a nice Thursday round, they need to re-think things. Complete non issue here imo.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Well said Ballstriker.

I agree.

I also think that Team Tiger doesn't announce things on the fly. I bet this decision had been made earlier in the week and had already been planned to be dropped at the appointed time.

I doubt that Phil was very enthused by the coincidental timing though, lol.

Or, maybe just maybe-

We never thought about this one , maybe Phil heard that Tiger was going to announce later that day and he shot the absurdly low round as his counter-statement to the number 1. lol.

Damn you people, this is golf!

I know I'm a little late with this but bear with me. It seemed a little funny that on the day that Phil finally started to show signs of his old Self (that being the 63 he shot on Thursday in the opening round of the Northern Trust) Tiger decides to announce his comeback in the afternoon. Essentially stopping all talk of Phils great round and turning on the Tiger marketing machine.

I disagree with you. I believe in what Tiger said---that he was ready to come back physically and with the status of his game, after many hours of practice. He made his decision no matter what Phil did.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

i've never had the impression once that tiger cared about what any one specific individual was or wasn't doing. it's always seemed to me that it's tiger vs the field, period. he's not out to beat any one person, he's out to stomp the dogsh*t out of everyone out there.

i've never had the impression once that tiger cared about what any one specific individual was or wasn't doing. it's always seemed to me that it's tiger vs the field, period. he's not out to beat any one person, he's out to stomp the dogsh*t out of everyone out there.

You are right. His main opponent now is Geoff, and not Phil.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

• Administrator
You are right. His main opponent now is Geoff, and not Phil.

I don't like to speak for others, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly NOT what he was saying.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't like to speak for others, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly NOT what he was saying.

I agree with Iacas. Tiger is the best because he does not look over his shoulder and has no worries about anyone else on the golf course. Phil is the opposite and is too worried about what others are doing....thats why he fails against Tiger.

I don't think Tiger needs to intentionally upstage anyone...he does it as a consequence of his great golf.

"Fallacy of False Cause..."

So we have a philosophical man here! Never actually heard anyone say a fallacy outside of school.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

The relationship between Tiger and Phil is well documented as not being chummy but I think Tiger purposely announced one day early (since he normally would announce on Friday his intent to play in the upcoming tournament) was a deliberate slap in old Phil's face.

I think you will find that Tiger thinks about his own golf game and when it comes to golf, that is it. He rarely watches golf on television, and I doubt very much that he keeps tabs on what other players are up to. The last thing he would do is get involved in some tacky "marketing" exercise.

With his record, and what it promises to be, he has bigger fish to fry.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Maybe he did want to steal Phil's thunder. It’s all just gamesmanship at the highest level.

This thread reminded me of practice rounds I was able to attend at the 2005 WGC at Harding Park. Camped out at the 1st hole, I was able to witness these two cross paths. Tiger headed into the clubhouse after his early round and Phil leaving towards the practice range. Tiger: With a dry grin - "Hello Phillip" - Not a "Hey Phil, how's it goin'? How ya been?" Not even a hand shake. Phil: With an even dryer glare - "Hello Eldrick" - Eldrick? Does anyone call him by that name? I don't even think his mother does. Kind of like what happens on a school playground when unfortunate middle names are revealed and used to torment. The small gallery got a good chuckle at this exchange. Animosities at their best.

Currently in the SunMt. superlight 3.5 bag-
Driver: 907 d2 9.5*
3w: 906 f4 15.5*
Hybrid: Edge CFT 2h
Irons: Apex FTX E-3I Wedges: Colonial 54* & 60*Current Putter: Bullseye FlangeCurrent Ball: Anything good on salecheers!

Maybe he did want to steal Phil's thunder. It’s all just gamesmanship at the highest level.

Haha, that reminds me of Seinfeld.

-Rich

This thread reminded me of practice rounds I was able to attend at the 2005 WGC at Harding Park. Camped out at the 1st hole, I was able to witness these two cross paths. Tiger headed into the clubhouse after his early round and Phil leaving towards the practice range.

haha, that's awesome.

I think neither one of them really cares what the other does.Right now all pro golfers are worried about the economy and what it will do the the sponsers and the allmighty buck which they ALL bow to.Tiger lost a lot of buick money and Phill lost with his investment sponsers.I think golfers will become closer to tennis players with more logo's on them for less money as opposed the singular sponsers and plain clothing.Not even Tiger is exempt from depression.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Note: This thread is 5552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!