IGNORED

Official/Unofficial Masters Updates & Discussion Thread

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A player found a fairway bunker, hit his shot, then raked the bunker as anyone would do. He found his ball in the next bunker and someone wanted to penalize him for raking the first bunker and testing the sand before his next shot out of a bunker.

This is the Stewart Cink rule, above. That's not the official name, of course. I believe it happened at the Zurich Classic in New Orleans. Cink didn't find the fairway bunker, but rather had to stand in one to hit his shot because of where it landed. The second shot found a greenside bunker. But his caddie raked the fairway bunker that Cink had been standing in. Because he did this while the ball was in a bunker, it was a penalty. He didn't realize this until after he signed his scorecard, so he DQed himself the next day. The USGA and R&A; pretty quickly decided that, in the future, the rule would be interpreted to mean that what Cink did was OK. In a previous post, I believe on this thread, I mentioned Palmer having a sand controversy. It was the 1968 Masters, 2nd hole, greenside bunker in two. Failed to get his ball out with third shot, took a practice swing. He wasn't penalized, nor was Kel Nagle, to whom it happened at the Houston Open previously. The USGA later modified the rule, saying that this is now grounding a club in a hazard. Karrie Webb found this out the hard way in 2000, and lost by one shot to Annika on that tournament. (Yes, I just had to look that up; detailed in Arnold Palmer's book "Playing by the Rules")

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I happen to mention before the week started that I like Angel Cabrera to take it all? Alright, so maybe he wasn't even on my radar. But he's certainly my half-way pick. haha.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'm rooting for Cabrera now. Tiger doubled the first and parred the second par 5. Nine shots off the lead already. No way he'll have a chance now.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm rooting for Cabrera now. Tiger doubled the first and parred the second par 5. Nine shots off the lead already. No way he'll have a chance now.

just birdied the third hole dude, i wouldnt count him out yet. if he shoots 67 and the leaders shoot 70 he will only be 4 back.

c'mon, Kenny Perry!

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

just birdied the third hole dude, i wouldnt count him out yet. if he shoots 67 and the leaders shoot 70 he will only be 4 back.

Then he'll have to play -7 on the last 5 holes and Perry must play even on the last 12. It's too late, the leaders won't drop today, they will play closer to 65 than Tiger.

Perry could easily take this, same with Chad.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Does anyone else think that Tiger's body language for the past couple of days just summed up his playing. It seems like he's not shaking off the mistakes like he usually does.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Does anyone else think that Tiger's body language for the past couple of days just summed up his playing. It seems like he's not shaking off the mistakes like he usually does.

Yeah. And if he doesn't win tomorrow, it will be the longest he's gone without a green jacket since he started playing in the Masters.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Yeah. And if he doesn't win tomorrow, it will be the longest he's gone without a green jacket since he started playing in the Masters.

maybe his wardrobe's full! he has enough already!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Boy, is Chad Campbell making me look foolish for what I wrote in this thread about him fading away because he is not a great putter? I like the guy, as I already said, and I am actually happy to see him in second place after 3 rounds. He may pull this off yet.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

as good as tiger is, you really need to be firing on all cyclinders to win a major. no one can question his course management, but with only 3 tourneys coming back from such a long layoff, he hasn't concurrently got his driving, iron play, or putting games intact. as such, the expectations for him winning are just unrealistic. however, it's a testament to his greatness that he's still in the top-10 with his B- or C-game on.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

since everyone else seems to be rooting for Kenny Perry to win, I'll take El Pato for the 2009 Masters. i saw him play sometime after his US Open victory, and man i loved the sound of the ball coming off his clubs (hybrid and irons). he can strike it sweet and should have more than 1 major in him. i also like Jim Furyk for his second major, though he seems to have gone off his game in the past few seasons.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

Anyone see the pin placements yet? They certainly favor right handed players who hit the fade and lefties that hit the draw (Phil)....an absolute nightmare set up for the right handers who hit the draw (Perry, Campbell).

Interesting set up by the powers that be...

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Anyone see the pin placements yet? They certainly favor right handed players who hit the fade and lefties that hit the draw (Phil)....an absolute nightmare set up for the right handers who hit the draw (Perry, Campbell).

just seen them and i know what you mean mate! maybe a come from behind win is on then today!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW

The right hand pins on 2,4,7,12,13,14 and 15 are their normal Sunday placements. The biggest surprise to me is the left hand pin on 17.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

steve flesch 3 under through 3 and now at -6!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW

Note: This thread is 5512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!