IGNORED

What Are You Working On?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1) Pitching. 30 yards and in is what I have in my yard and I practice shots almost every day. It's already paying off, but I want to get better at them and get up and down more times than I don't.

2) More on plane backswing. I was way too steep last year and recently have got a bit too flat on my backswing. I'm practicing backswings in a mirror at home and the feeling of straight back is getting me into a good position at the top.

3) Not getting too tense on the way back and not trying to kill the ball on the way through. I believe these two are related.

1. Dialing in my distance control with the wedges from 100 yards and in.

2. Tempo, tempo, tempo. Seems like I'm always trying slow down my transition and downswing. Tick-Tock is my usual swing thought.

3. Pre-shot routine. I've never really had one. I stand behind the ball, pick my spot for alignment, but once I set up to the ball, it's almost different every time. Might waggle, might not. Might look at the target, might not. Might adjust grip, might not. So on and so on. So at the range, I've been trying to get into the habit of making the same routine before every shot. (Did it with free-throws in basketball, no clue why I never thought to develop one for my golf swing)

I'm working on Driver

After years of frustration with all sorts of big dogs holding back my ability to cash in on solid irons and decent putting I finally went and

got custom fitted and now brandishing a Cleveland Classic XL custom.Its a matrix stiff shaft 10.5 loft which i have set at 12deg.

reason being I'm a "delofter" so need the loft to offset my aggressive downward strike tendencies!!.great for my irons and length but not so good for staying in play off the tee with the big dog.

So I'm working on getting to know my new club,focusing on rhythm and standing a little taller in my posture to get out of my own way as felt to much knee flex was creating inconsistency as well when I went after it and too many things were moving.

Its staring to feel right and in its first competitive start in club comp on Sat I took driver at every opportunity,played well and had handicap shaved 0.3 so a nice little boost,particularly as my scoring was definitely helped by being in play a bit more often off the tee!! particularly on the back 9 where we have 4 par 4's all well over 400yds so a good drive is really important.

So that's me,my short game has always got me out of trouble so I'm reversing it and trying to stay out of trouble in the first instance and hope my putting now doesn't go out the window!

The biggest point of emphasis for me right now is dialing in my distance control with my irons. I need to start hitting more GIRs in order to get my scores lower.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to get more yards in my "internet" distance. I'M TRYING TO DO IT BY USING ALL CAPS.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm working on my irons off a tee for par-3s. I was hitting my irons really well last summer, but my driver was awful. I started focusing on my driver and accidentally changed something with my irons, and lost them. My approach shots are still ok, not as good as they were but not awful. But for the last couple of months my irons off a tee have been awful.

Last fall, when my irons were going well, I hit the best iron off a tee I have ever hit. It was about 3 feet from the hole, and I putted it in for what would have been my first birdie except that I had hit my first tee shot in the pond between me and the green(water gets in my head every time.) Since that shot, I didn't hit a tee shot with an iron more than 50 yards for a while. I tried everything, and just couldn't fix it. So now I am focusing on that. I've gotten better, and actually hit about a 140 yard shot within 10 feet of the hole last week which I felt good about, but still had one mishit. I've got that swing figured out, I just need to practice it more to make it a little easier without having to think so much.

Working on:

- Proper Extension & Rotation during swing

- Better ballstriking

- Course management (no hero shots through the trees)

- Driver accuracy & cutting out the slice

I definitely need help in all aspect of my game, but currently I'm going to the range and hitting a large bucket of balls only with my driver. I'm trying to slow down and take my time with each shot. My thought process is that I'm not going to worry about working on all the clubs at the moment, so I got with just a driver and my putter. All aspects of my game need attention and practice. So I have been debating eliminating driver and just working on short irons with the putter. Regardless of which club I bring to the range, I always make sure to bring my putter and practice it. I often find the difference between a good round for me and a poor one, is decided in the last 15 feet.

Also need to add that I'm trying real hard to work on distance control. I'm not a big hitter by any means, but my goal isn't to crush it 300 yards, and instead hit it straight consisantly. The irons are always tricky to me as I always seem to think I hit it farther than I do.

Going for my first ever lesson on Wednesday since I've lost anything even remotely resembling a golf swing. Plan on making it a bi-weekly thing, or at the least monthly.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Well all aspect of my game need serious attention to, but at the moment, I'm working on my short game. My thinking is I'm working from the hole backwards. I want to make sure that anything within 125 yards is just 'another walk in the park'. Once that's taken care of, I'll start with my middle to longer irons, and then go back from there.

Working on my driver...can't seem to keep it straight on a consistent basis. My iron play and short game have improved greatly this year, but my driver is still a hurtin unit.

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

Strong grip and exaggerating my left shoulder high right shoulder low at set-up and keeping my head behind the ball.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Consistency.

I've got a swing that works for me, but I don't really have a good feel for it, so I am pretty inconsistent. When I stop and take several practice swings, focus on fundamentals, etc... I do well. But I don't want to do that for every shot, I want to get a feel for what I need to do. So I've just been trying to get to the range and on the course more and more.

I also need to work on learning my distances. That will only be possible when I get my swing more consistent, though.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Originally Posted by Inebriated

Consistency.

You and me, both. My biggest problem is that as a relative beginner, I don't have my swing yet. I try something, it works, I get happy, then the next time I'm out I hit nothing but worm burners and pulls and I'm back to the interwebs searching for the latest miracle advice. I need to just relax, remember something that worked, and take the time to figure out why it stopped working, and fix it. Or, suck it up and go get some lessons.

Russ B.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Russtopher

You and me, both. My biggest problem is that as a relative beginner, I don't have my swing yet. I try something, it works, I get happy, then the next time I'm out I hit nothing but worm burners and pulls and I'm back to the interwebs searching for the latest miracle advice. I need to just relax, remember something that worked, and take the time to figure out why it stopped working, and fix it. Or, suck it up and go get some lessons.

Get the lessons man! I just took a 2-week class for school, and it was far and away THE most helpful thing I've ever done! I've got "my" swing now, I just need to get out there and do it so that I don't have to think about it.

So yeah, skip 18 next week and get a lesson instead. Money well-spent.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Adding some height to mid to high iron shots landing softly on the green.

Also some height to my 3 hybrid.  I hit bullets 20-30 ft off the ground.

Driver:Adams 9064LS 9.5 *stiff

3 Wood: Nike VRs

Hybrid: Adams A7 19*

Irons: Nike VRs Pro Cavity 4-AW

Wedges: Nike VR Pro 56'

Putter: Nike Method mc3i1

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Bag: Ogio Assassin

Note: This thread is 3203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!