IGNORED

"Three (3) Clubs Only" Master Thread

huphtur
Note: This thread is 1312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

we used to do a drill once a week on my HS team that was a single iron and a putter for our round. I would choose my 7 iron most of the time but sometimes a 5 iron. This was probably one of my favorite practice days the other one was when we played the course only from the bunkers.

Originally Posted by Grahaman

3 iron 220 yds

8 iron 165 yds

putter

3 iron (210-220 yards)

8 iron (155-165 yards)

putter

I wasnt even reading yours when I chose.

Great minds think alike.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Our club does the same thing, but you only get 1....yes, 1 club. I usually go with a 4 hybrid.

In my OGIO bag: Driver: King Cobra ZL 10.5 3 Wood: Ping i20 15 3 Hybrid: Ping i20 20 4 Hybrid: Ping i20 23 5-PW: Mizuno MP60 Project X 5.5 52-56-60: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 Oil Can Putter: Powerbilt EX 200 MA330 Ball: Bridgestone B330RXS

60° wedge: or my bunker and shortgame would suck 8 i: for 150 yards and in 3 i: for distance Don't know what to putt with but my putting sux anyways

That's easy: 7i, SW, putter.  7i is the highest club I can get on any par-4 < 400 yards and par-5 < 600 yards in regulation.  The SW is for short-game.  Putter is a no-brainer.  Next question.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Putter, 8 Iron, 5Hybrid.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

• 11 months later...

Our Men's League is having a 3 club tournament next week and we have 6 par 3s, so I am trying to figure out what clubs to play with.

I thought about reviving http://thesandtrap.com/t/38970/18-holes-3-clubs but wanted to give the details of the course I am facing and the clubs I normally use:

Par 3s

3 (218 yards) 4 or 5i (occasionally a 5w or 6i

7 (119) usually 52, sometimes pw or 56

10 (192) mostly 6i occasionally 5 or 7i

12 (167) usually 8i, ocassionally 9i (and once 6i into a very strong wind)

15 (143) usually pw, occasionally 9 or 52

17 (167) usually 8i, sometimes 7i

3 & 10 have carries over water, but you can get away with being a club short- more than a club short and you have to think about hitting into tight landing areas with OB and water coming into play.

Clubs I normally use for other tee shots and the likely approach

1- 4 or 5i then 6i to pw

2- 3w then 52

4- 3w then 4 to 9i

5- 4 or 5i then pw or 52

6- 3w then 5w to 6i

8- 3w then 8 to 52

9- 5w (264 yards down hill that I can drive the green with)

11- 5w then 6 or 7i then pw to 60

13- 3w then 5w

14- Driver to 4i, then 56 or 60

16- Driver or 3w to carry 220 yard hazard off tee often into wind, then 7i to pw

18- 4i then 6i to pw

If 16 is playing into the wind and I don't have something to carry at least 225+, then I will have to try to lay up into a very narrow landing area- maybe only 20 to 30 feet wide.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

too lazy to read all that info but if you are a long hitter or are playing up close than i reccomend a hybrid iron or like a 5 iron, whatever you chip with(dont reccomend a 60 maybe not even a 56) and like a pw-8 iron

We played a 9 hole 3 club tournament last summer. I brought 6i, PW and putter. A few guys tried to play without a putter and they regretted it. If I had to do it over again I'd bring a 4-5 hybrid,  9i and putter.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

We played a 9 hole 3 club tournament last summer. I brought 6i, PW and putter. A few guys tried to play without a putter and they regretted it. If I had to do it over again I'd bring a 4-5 hybrid,  9i and putter.

if i played in one i would putt with a driver

Originally Posted by Strandly

I've never heard of this type of event but it sounds kinda fun.  Do you play the whole course in these things or only the 3s?

Its the whole course- the tips (only 6 K, but some forced carries) for the low HCs.

I was thinking 5w, 8i, putter, but am now leaning towards 6i, pw, putter.  I'll have more chipping and approach shot flexibility with the 2nd set up, but there will be a couple holes that will be hard to reach in regulation and I'll have a very tricky lay up on 16 to stay short of the hazard I normally carry off the tee.

3w or 5w to get over the hazzards.. 7iron for mid range.. putter... You can play chips shots with the 7 and bump and runs with the 3w...choke up on either and open the fave a little on the 7 you should have a variety of shots you can play. Just don't leave the putter at home.

Originally Posted by MEfree

Its the whole course- the tips (only 6 K, but some forced carries) for the low HCs.

I was thinking 5w, 8i, putter, but am now leaning towards 6i, pw, putter.  I'll have more chipping and approach shot flexibility with the 2nd set up, but there will be a couple holes that will be hard to reach in regulation and I'll have a very tricky lay up on 16 to stay short of the hazard I normally carry off the tee.

That's why if I played in another 3 club I'd sub a hybrid for the 6. Not sure if you have one but I chip with mine often and I hit it a lot further than my 6.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

That's why if I played in another 3 club I'd sub a hybrid for the 6. Not sure if you have one but I chip with mine often and I hit it a lot further than my 6.

Maybe I should have said I will have more pitching flexibility with the pw over the 8i- I can bump and run with the 6 in many of the same situations that I would have used the 8, but the pw will let me hit higher chips/pitches than the 8 when I need to.  I'll come up a bit short on the 218 3 par with the 6 over a hybrid/5w, but its a good club for me on the 192 par 3 and will be ok choked down on the two 167 3 pars.  For the other two par 3s, the pw is better than the 8i (although the 8i is better than the 6i for the 167 par 3s most of the time).

I have a 2 pm tee time today and will take all 5 clubs, but plan to start using just the 6i, pw and putter.

Originally Posted by MEfree

Maybe I should have said I will have more pitching flexibility with the pw over the 8i- I can bump and run with the 6 in many of the same situations that I would have used the 8, but the pw will let me hit higher chips/pitches than the 8 when I need to.  I'll come up a bit short on the 218 3 par with the 6 over a hybrid/5w, but its a good club for me on the 192 par 3 and will be ok choked down on the two 167 3 pars.  For the other two par 3s, the pw is better than the 8i (although the 8i is better than the 6i for the 167 par 3s most of the time).

I have a 2 pm tee time today and will take all 5 clubs, but plan to start using just the 6i, pw and putter.

OT-I'll being playing the Ranch/River courses 09/20-9/21. Was supposed to be there in July but didn't make it up.

Note: This thread is 1312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!