IGNORED

"Three (3) Clubs Only" Master Thread

huphtur
Note: This thread is 1317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i would do my
17* hybrid (probably good for around 220 down to idk.. I'm sure i could play it almost all the way down to 150 with half swings etc, putting)
7 iron (160 and in some)
56* wedge ( 85 and in, chipping , sand)

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

I have putted with a wedge ... had no problems with it. Just make sure you practice putting with your wedge before your tourney to get the hang of it.

Since you only get 3 clubs, bringing an actual putter along doesn't help you out anywhere but on the green. Using a wedge (or any other club that you can putt with) helps you out more because you can use it for more than one type of shot.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

---> 18* hybrid (tee shots (goal to hit every single fairway and avoid trouble and the need for other clubs), fairway wood substitute, and choke down 2nd shots to mimic iron shots. Also bump and run straight away shorter shots.
---> PW (After getting the ball near the green with the hybrid....scoring club for pitching over hazards and where not much green to work with. And punch it lower than normal when I need to expand the distance)
---> Putter (don't give that up as that is the most important club...even with a full bag. Many save and scoring opportunities)

I would play with a higher spin ball as I would want to work the ball like crazy.

3 iron
7 iron
Gap wedge.

Easy

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I would use a 3 Iron, 7 iron and 58 degree wedge.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

i would use a hybrid for long irons and putting (not that i would ever try it!)

5 iron for mid range.

and a pitching wedge for the sand.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

3W, 7i, 56*wedge. Not a bad way to practice sometimes either, though I would throw in a putter and another iron.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

I would probably pick...

1. my 8-iron I can hit nearly 210 yards if I need to...
2. sand wedge... for bunkers....
3. putter... I'd be lost with out it...

I have played 9 holes with 4 clubs (9i, PW, SW, Putter) but never 3... because I can't play without a putter... haven't figured out how to play with out it... I've also played with only two a 9-iron and a putter... Its actually not a bad way to play... It takes the part of picking clubs for shots out... and it lets you try different shots... I wouldn't try like the 16th at Cypress Point with only playing 3 clubs though lol...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Three wood: I can lag putt with it, too.
7 iron: seems like a pretty good 150-160 yard shot rarely hurts.
Sand Wedge: don't think I would hit many greens. I can make 3-6 footers with it.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

17* Hybrid- 200-240
7 iron- 120-175
54* Wedge- 0-115

Putt with 7 iron.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

6 iron
P wedge
Putter

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

• 5 months later...
I have always talked about playing a round with only a few clubs of your choice. Has anybody done this? What 3 or 5 clubs would you choose?

I would choose the following:

3 wood
Putter
8 iron

7 iron for only one club

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

i have thought about it since i joined here but i dont think i will. this is what i would use:

5 wood
8 iron
putter

but it would be rather hard to get out onto the green from a greenside bunker with an 8 iron

Whats in my bag:

Burner HT 13* Reax Regular Shaft
R7 19* Reax Regular Shaft
AP1's 4-PW Project X 5.5 Shafts Vokey Spin Milled 60.08 56.10 Rossa Siena 4 Pro V1"Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s**t"

I think I would use a 5 iron, 50* wedge and putter. I with only three clubs, I feel I am going to have a lot of 120 yard shots and miss a few greens.

I would like to do this sometime. Sounds like fun.

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

3 club tourney, so much fun.
Didnt think id ever see anyone birdie a par 5 hitting driver three times, playing partner teed off with driver, hit to green with driver off the deck, then chipped with a pitching wedge, then made a putt with his driver.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

i have thought about it since i joined here but i dont think i will. this is what i would use:

If you ever do play in a limited club tournament, practice putting with something other than your putter. You will find that those who do well in such tournaments almost never take a putter as one of their clubs. I've done 3 club and 4 club and 5 club tournaments, and I've used my 5W, and my 5 hybrid as putters, because both of those clubs can be used for so many other shots too.

For a 3 club: 4W 5H GW 4 Club: Driver 5H 8I SW

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driver, 7-iron, SW I used to putt around with my SW all the time when i was working at a course, and i would just chip the 30+ footers .

909 D2 8.5° Fubuki Tour 73x
975f 14.5° DG R300
909H 19° AXIVCore Tour Red 85x
690.mb 3-pw DG S300
Z TP 52° and 56° Studio Select Newport 2 34"

I would take a 3 wood,7iron and a pitching wedge.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Note: This thread is 1317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!