IGNORED

Driving range: Better for practice or is it better to just play 9 to practice?

ramrockgolfer35
Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am having trouble with how to practice. Every time I hit the range, I have no goal for each shot, I just see if I can hit it straight. When I go out on the course, it is hard for me to forget the score and just practice. What should I do?

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

Depends on what you want out of your practice. The range is great for working on specific things- swing changes, set up/alignment, etc... if you're hitting from mats it's a perfect lie every time. The course is all situational. It's where you take what you've learned on the range and apply it to the real world. I'd suggest have a plan for your range sessions otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Range time is boring for me, so I avoid it unless I am working on something specific with my mechanics because I get bored hitting ball after ball and often reinforce bad habits doing so. IMO - Never go to the range just to hit a bucket of balls aimlessly.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on what you want out of your practice. The range is great for working on specific things- swing changes, set up/alignment, etc... if you're hitting from mats it's a perfect lie every time. The course is all situational. It's where you take what you've learned on the range and apply it to the real world. I'd suggest have a plan for your range sessions otherwise you're just wasting your time.

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself. Range time doesn't have to be boring. Where many people make mistakes at the range is they get in a groove of hitting the same club over and over. If you switch the clubs up that you are hitting then it will be a much better practice. If you have a buddy that goes to the range with you, then come up with some kind of game. That way it is fun and you are still getting good practice. Don't just go the range and hit ball after ball with no purpose to your swing.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

One of the things that I think has really helped me on the range is the speed at which I go through the bucket.

For each shot, I do my entire pre-shot routine. Get behind the ball, see my target, visualize the shot and trajectory, step up, check alignment, look at target, back down and swing.

Next ball, rinse and repeat.

What I see a lot of from people at the range is standing there hitting ball after ball after ball without altering set-up, alignment, nothing. Well, for me, that tires out my swing...makes it prone to more mistakes, and gets me away from the reason I'm there in the first place (to get better).

Another thing, if I hit 3-4 shots in a row that look good. Put up the club. Next up.

There are days when I go hit 40 balls and then start working on chipping/putting and there are days when I hit 70 or so because I have to iron out a hiccup in my swing.

If I can't get it ironed out with a large bucket, I'll head home and head back the next day. When I get tired, I swing harder, I get more frustrated, and inevitably end up making it worse.
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

When at the driving range I try to concentrate on a few aspect of my set up and swing until it becomes automatic. In addition, for almost every shot, I walk behind the ball and try to visualize the shot.

I think practicing on the course is better but can only be achieved when you can get out there alone so you can hit two balls off the tee and so on to the green. Forget about keeping score when you can get onto a course that is empty enough to have a practice round. For me, the best type of course for practicing is an empty executive or par 3.

Once in while I use to do practice rounds with a friend where we would compete making single difficult shots from the tee, the sand trap, etc. much like some of the competition games on Big Break.

Forget about keeping score and focus on each shot as if the next shot was a new game.

Edit: The reason I list a Sunday bag listed below is because sometimes I go to a local chip & put just to practice my wedges, especially out of the sand.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

For each shot, I do my entire pre-shot routine. Get behind the ball, see my target, visualize the shot and trajectory, step up, check alignment, look at target, back down and swing.

As noted, I do the same, but I have to admit it took me some time to discipline myself from hitting one ball after the other. Now I'm at the point where after one or two bad shots, I walk out of the stall for a few minutes.

Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

I use the range 3 different ways. 1st is to work on problem issues, like drives going right, or swing issues. This would also include swing changes. 2nd way is to build confidance. In doing this, I may not hit more than 6 balls with the same club, and move from a wedge to an 8 iron, to a 5 iron to a driver. Basically really concentrating on my swing and hitting the shots like I have visioned. The 3rd way, is a combination of the 1st two, however this would only occur 1st a week if I go to the range 3 time. (usually every other day). Each time I go to the range I have a specific routine, for the type of practice I am doing. Weekends I either play competitive or practice, could be 9 holes or 18 depending on schedules. Practice might involve working on something specific or something specific to the course. In either types of play, I keep stats (Gstat Pro) and then come with what I need to work on.

What's in the Titleist  carry bag:
Driver: Titleist 910 D2,  Motore Speeder VC 6.0 shaft, 1" long, set to A1
Fairway Wood: Titleist 910 F, set to B4 Hybrid: Titleist 910 H, set to B4
Irons: Titleist AP2 710 4-9  Project X shafts  Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 46deg, C-C 50, 54, & 60deg.
Putter: Scotty Cameron NewPort 2.5 Glove: Titleist Ball: Titleist ProV1x  RangeFinder: Bushnell V2

Towel: Players Towel   Eyewear: SunDog H EVO  On Twitter -- @BrianBrown13

I will sometimes take the scorecard and visualize each hole and then hit a drive and how far it goes and the directions would give you a good idea of how the next shot should be and what club to use. You can even use divots to hit out of. Unfortunately, there is really no rough to hit out of and you really can't putt doing this, but is does give you a good idea on driving and approach shots and you can play 9 from the range.

Barry

In the Bag

Custom Built
Driver - R7 Draw 460 / Matrix Studio 84 Shaft X-Stiff
3 Wood - Kest S S.D. T-Steel / Matrix Studio 94 Shaft X-Stiff5 Wood - Kent S S.D. T-Steel / Matrix Studio 94 Shaft X-Stiff3 Hybrid - RX Low Pro / Matrix Studio 94 Shaft X-StiffIrons - 4-PW C1 Tour / Precision Rifle...

Wedges - Titlest Vokey Wedges SM5 56-14 and 52-12

this year I'm suddenly driving the ball well, and I noticed I was spending my range time hitting shots inside 100 yards. I've found that 90 minutes walking a par 3 is cheaper than a jumbo bucket, more fun, and a lot more helpful to me. As a golfer just starting to get decent (been getting close to breaking 100) I find the time on the course to be far more valuable.

this year I'm suddenly driving the ball well, and I noticed I was spending my range time hitting shots inside 100 yards. I've found that 90 minutes walking a par 3 is cheaper than a jumbo bucket, more fun, and a lot more helpful to me. As a golfer just starting to get decent (been getting close to breaking 100) I find the time on the course to be far more valuable.

I wish I had a par 3 course close to me. All I have is the range.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I will sometimes take the scorecard and visualize each hole and then hit a drive and how far it goes and the directions would give you a good idea of how the next shot should be and what club to use. You can even use divots to hit out of. Unfortunately, there is really no rough to hit out of and you really can't putt doing this, but is does give you a good idea on driving and approach shots and you can play 9 from the range.

I really like this idea, I think I will try it the next time I hit the range. I never thought of hitting a drive and then moving to the next shot. I always just worked on trouble clubs and hit 20 balls or so and moved on to the next.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

For me the range is good when you are asking yourself questions like:
-what if I stand a couple of inches further away or closer to the ball.
-what if move the ball to different positions within my stance for the same club.
-do I hit better shots with a more open or more closed stance
-etc.
I do take a small notebook to the range and log what I learn for later reference. I almost always finish with putting though...

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

i love par 3 courses, the good ones will force you to use every club in your bag. For me, there is no better way to fine tune your game.
Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

I like to go to the range everyone once in awhile or just hit a small bucket before a round. I feel that if you just go play 9 for a practice round, your getting into real situations that you have to do. I get bored at the range and after trying to think situations it just gets boring so I end up just trying to hit far and straight.
IMO just go play.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

For me I like to go to the local pitch and putt and play 2 balls off the grass minus the tees to work on my short game... Driving range I usually just hit driver and use the putting green for practice...
In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54° NickelWedge: Forged 60°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

I love playing 9 and having the course to myself or at least the time to play multiple shots.

I don't keep score, take multiple shots and practice the short game and irons. For woods and driver, the range is better. When I started out, I spent more time on the range, but I spend more time practicing on the course.

When I want to work on something, like a new move, fixing a problem, experimenting or working the ball, I go to the range and try for a grass one if at all possible.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

IMO - Never go to the range just to hit a bucket of balls aimlessly.

Agreed. If I go to a range just to hit balls, I end up subconciously making a swing change for the worse, or trying to see how far I can fly my driver. Both cases put me in a worse spot than before.

I like to play a round, and make mental notes of what shots gave me the most trouble or cost me the most strokes, and then work on those parts of the game throughout the week before I go play again. Lately, I've been going to the home course and chipping a lot, as it's been costing me the most strokes on the course. Before that, I spent 3 nights at the range sorting out issues with my driver.

TaylorMade Tour Burner 08 9.5
Adams Tight Lies Strong 3
Titleist DCI962 3-PW
Vokey 52, 56, 60
Ping Anser 50th Anniversary

Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!