IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sundve

My biggest pet peeve is them not counting all their strokes. Using a foot wedge is up there also. Just, play the game the way it was mean't to be, by the rules peroid.

Yeah, that can be annoying, although it really shouldn't be, in the long run it hurts them more than you. I played this weekend with some buddies and had the best ball striking day of my life. I watched my buddies lose balls, hit into the water, 4 putt and everything else and yet, when we drank some beers and counted up the score I still lost on the back and front nine - WTF, how is that possible that I finished with same ball I started with and you guys are bumming balls off of me but I still get the high score???? WTF LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just started playing last summer.  Played about a dozen different golf courses and a few 9 hole courses.

I actually started reading this thread to get acquainted with golf course etiquette haha.

Originally Posted by RichWW2

"Guy who can't break 100 yet still gets way too mad when he makes a bad shot."

This post really got to me.  I'm not a volcano by any means, but I have been getting really mad at myself lately for not progressing as fast as I would like.  Thanks for the reality check RichWW2, I'll start getting upset when my play truly doesn't match my skill level.

My biggest pet peeve are people that people that get overly competitive.  Ruins the mood for the rest of the group and spoils the day for me because I can't appreciate the course as much as I would like.

• Upvote 1

People who talk about themselves in the third person. You aren't Tiger. I don't want to hear "C'mon Joe!! You gotta do better than that!" After every shot.
"

In my  taylormade.gif Stratus Stand bag

Driver:  taylormade.gif 10.5* 2009 Burner

3 Wood: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

3 Hybrid: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

Ironstaylormade.gif  Burner 1.0 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG15  56*

Putter:  taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Spider Vicino

Ball Callaway HX Diablo Tour

Originally Posted by Jwat381

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

YES!! This is the only thing that bothers me, but it drives me crazy!

"Bite... Bite..." Dude, it's been rolling for 30 feet - if it was going to bite it would've done it by now.

Talking to the ball period is kind of ridiculous! It's one thing when you mutter to your own ball, but straight up yelling at a ball to "turn" or "bite" or "sit" or whatever is just stupid. I know golf is a very organic game, but the ball is not alive. If I hit it thin (good chance of that) it's not gonna sit on anything except maybe one of those rocket cars.

True, but I just don't mind as much if someone talks to my ball when there's at least a *chance* for it to do what they're saying. It's like when I'm watching a basketball game and the shot has left the players hands and I say "go in!". Or someone might say the same if a putt is tracking, and I'm fine with that. If a ball is still in the air and is going to be long, I don't mind a "bite!" or "check!" from my playing partners. If I hit a straight push I don't mind a "come back!" when there's still a chance it might draw a little.

But when the ball is obviously not going to bite (since I've obviously skulled it and it's been rolling for 30 feet) , or not going to draw (since it's already slicing), someone talking to it just aggravates the hell out of me, even though I know their heart is in the right place.

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

But when the ball is obviously not going to bite (since I've obviously skulled it and it's been rolling for 30 feet) , or not going to draw (since it's already slicing), someone talking to it just aggravates the hell out of me, even though I know their heart is in the right place.

Me too.  But if I play with strangers, it doesn't bother me.  When my dad and father-in-law do it, it is extremely irritating.  My dad will say "good roll" to me (and usually everybody else too) after every effin' putt!  No matter how horrendous it is.  I know he means well, but ... ugh.

haha, I don't mind the talking..I usually don't even notice it.

About the only thing I say to my own ball is "I hate you so much!" and "no!"

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

haha, I don't mind the talking..I usually don't even notice it.

About the only thing I say to my own ball is "I hate you so much!" and "no!"

The only thing I say to my ball is "Where are you??"

• Upvote 1

The one that got me this weekend was someone driving their cart in reverse during my swing.

That is a very very annoying beeping sound

I have a friend who never ever ever watches his ball after he's hit it. He'll watch it initially until he sees it slicing then he'll look at the ground in disgust.... Sure enough 2 minutes later he'll be shouting at me from the trees "did you see where it landed?"........ Every. Single. Time.....! Watch your own ball!! He's also the guy you'll see running back towards you looking for his headcover/putter he's left behind.

A couple of guys I used to play with would usually finish with more balls than they started with because every time they hit one in the brush or wherever, they insisted on looking for it even if it was clearly going to be unplayable, so they'd at least always come out with a ball or two, just rarely their own.  I always found that to be a little annoying.  Also the guy who carries a ball retreiver and trolls along all water hazards with it at the ready.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

My biggest one is "nice shot" after I just hit a terrible shot.

Went on a golf trip and one of the guys, that I didn't know, said "you're going to love it" after every shot no matter what.  He would say it before you're done with your swing.  Put up with it for 18 and then the next day he sliced his drive 50 yards out of bounds on the first hole...as soon as it was in the air I said "you're going to love it"  Everyone cracked up except for him, who thought it was a bit rude and told me so.  I shrugged and blamed the 5mph wind...he kept quiet after that, and his buddies all thanked me.

Guys who don't respect the half-seat rule : When riding in a cart one has to respect the idea that you only get 1/2 of the seat - and in warmer weather when wearing shorts - you are morally obligated to keep your leg from touching mine.

Other less annoying occurences...

Guys who play slow as dirt.

People who talk in your backswing.

Hackers who mark their ball on the green and then walk where you will be putting in two seconds.

Dudes who lose their cool after a bad shot - o, and by the way, they normally shoot in the 50's anyway!

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

I try to not let other players bother me no matter what their annoying habits are.  I figure it is my problem if I let them annoy me. But I admit I have trouble with the guy who give a running commentary on my bad shots.  Things like "Oh no, it is hooking and might make the water/ob/bunker, man is it rolling hard looks like trouble" but you never hear a peep out of them on the the well struck, on target flights.  But again it is my problem and I do my best to ignore them.

Butch

Ive only been playing eight months, but i hate that my buddy who is worse than me, always turns in a card thats 10 strokes better than mine. I could shoot in the 80's too if i re hit every bad shot and didnt count them all. But all in all its not that big of a deal.

Originally Posted by Old1964

Guys who don't respect the half-seat rule: When riding in a cart one has to respect the idea that you only get 1/2 of the seat - and in warmer weather when wearing shorts - you are morally obligated to keep your leg from touching mine.

Haha, this is great! Got a chuckle out of me.  On a similiar note, it irks me for some reason when a person constantly kicks their foot up on the cart like they own it.  Don't know why..but it just does.

P.S. nothing more uncomfortable than two sweaty man-knees touching in a small space

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by FivePutt

This post really got to me.  I'm not a volcano by any means, but I have been getting really mad at myself lately for not progressing as fast as I would like.  Thanks for the reality check RichWW2, I'll start getting upset when my play truly doesn't match my skill level.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.  Anyone can and should get mad when playing golf.  I get pretty upset when I miss shots I know I can and should make.  I'm not saying 'don't get mad because you aren't that good' because everyone will get upset with themselves.  That's just part of life.  I'm just saying don't act like you just lost a major when out with your friends for a friendly round.

I think I did explain that post a little.  A friend of mine *never* practices, ever and only plays a few times a year.  When he gets on the course, he hits two duffs in a row and goes ballistic.  Slams his clubs into the ground, throws clubs, cusses up a storm, and pretty much sulks for the rest of the round.  Really takes the fun out of things.

By all means, get angry when you mess up. I do.  Everyone does.  Just don't flip out and ruin everyone things for everyone else when you're just out there having fun with some buddies.  It's not the end of the world if you quadruple bogey a hole and none of your friends want to watch you throw a tantrum on the course.  You'll quickly find yourself without playing partners if you do that.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Note: This thread is 2523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!