IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You might remind him the next time that he's forfeited the hole (assuming its match play).  If he does it again, he's lost another hole.

Have to remember my league plays pretty loose with the rules, also he's not my opponent, he's my dad's *we have A and B players I'm the A and he's the B* not sure if that matters though. Regardless they don't care about the rules enough to actually go by them. They swap out to a different ball to putt with, roll the ball around/fluff it up etc....

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In that case, you handled it just right.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

My newest pet peeve is people who tee off from the blues when it's clearly obvious they should be teeing off from the whites so as to not slow down those playing behind them.

• Upvote 1

There's a guy in my league who, every time we play against him and his partner, tells me "you need to slow your swing down about 5 mph".... He's a bit worse than me and his swing is way worse... I finally snapped the other day and told him to stop telling me what to do. I had been laughing it off but after that 15th time it's hard to let go anymore.

I would have told him "thanks for the advice but I can only seem to slow it down to 4 mph".

Then again if he is worse than you I would start giving him advice. Maybe horrifically bad advice, stuff that is grossly incorrect just to get in his head!

But then again you are probably a better person than I am.

I would never say fairway metal in person . Heard it on mcginnis and katrek and they even had a discussion about saying it. It really sounds douchy.

We had a guy yesterday who pulled out a 3 wood. We started busting on him because it was a old 3 fairway metal. So we busted on him relentlessly. Asked if his second shot was going to be with a spoon, maybe a brassie!!!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I would have told him "thanks for the advice but I can only seem to slow it down to 4 mph".

Then again if he is worse than you I would start giving him advice. Maybe horrifically bad advice, stuff that is grossly incorrect just to get in his head!

But then again you are probably a better person than I am.

We had a guy yesterday who pulled out a 3 wood. We started busting on him because it was a old 3 fairway metal. So we busted on him relentlessly. Asked if his second shot was going to be with a spoon, maybe a brassie!!!

I think that first paragraph is great and perfect.  Especially reciprocating with advice.

you used the words "fairway metal" - I take back the nice thing I just said

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

I think that first paragraph is great and perfect.  Especially reciprocating with advice.

you used the words "fairway metal" - I take back the nice thing I just said

In fairness this guy had a "fairway metal" it was a metal head, metal shafted 3 wood!

He kept calling a 3 wood, and we had to correct him. We did tell him he needs to buy a club that was not a hold over from 1977!

For the record I loathe the term "fairway metal", but using the term to bust this guys chops was well worth it!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

In fairness this guy had a "fairway metal" it was a metal head, metal shafted 3 wood!

He kept calling a 3 wood, and we had to correct him. We did tell him he needs to buy a club that was not a hold over from 1977!

For the record I loathe the term "fairway metal", but using the term to bust this guys chops was well worth it!

it's still a 3 wood though - whether it's made of metal or not

However -

1 - the fact that you loathe the term itself

2 - and yet used it repeatedly to annoy someone else with the same peeve just for self entertainment

result - I am greatly please to be on this site with you and consider you a brother in mockery of others.  nicely done - I give back the nice things I said plus interest

bonus points for going back further in time and using the terms spoon, brassie, etc...

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmer

it's still a 3 wood though - whether it's made of metal or not

However -

1 - the fact that you loathe the term itself

2 - and yet used it repeatedly to annoy someone else with the same peeve just for self entertainment

result - I am greatly please to be on this site with you and consider you a brother in mockery of others.  nicely done - I give back the nice things I said plus interest

bonus points for going back further in time and using the terms spoon, brassie, etc...

Take it a step farther and give him hell when he chunks his Jigger, or ask him why he doesn't carry a Cleek. :smartass:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

my biggest pet peeve is the fact that players dont even carry their own bags. what the heck. they are so lazy!

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

I never really got bugged about much until today and I guess its along the lines of slow play/etiquette. I had an elderly couple driving to their shot on the second hole when I arrived at the 1st. I caught up to them on hole 4 teeing off as I drove up...not a word said , just got in their cart and drove to their tee shots. So I waited til their second shot and drove, pulled my drive about 15 feet left of the fairway and waited for them to finish the hole. They finished, I walked up to take my second shot and before I get to my backstroke they're teeing right into me on parallel greens. Ball whizzed right by me and when they drove by the man said "sorry, but you shouldn't be playing off another fairway when someone's teeing off...its really you're fault" I have never been so livid on a golf course in my life

I never really got bugged about much until today and I guess its along the lines of slow play/etiquette. I had an elderly couple driving to their shot on the second hole when I arrived at the 1st. I caught up to them on hole 4 teeing off as I drove up...not a word said , just got in their cart and drove to their tee shots. So I waited til their second shot and drove, pulled my drive about 15 feet left of the fairway and waited for them to finish the hole. They finished, I walked up to take my second shot and before I get to my backstroke they're teeing right into me on parallel greens. Ball whizzed right by me and when they drove by the man said "sorry, but you shouldn't be playing off another fairway when someone's teeing off...its really you're fault" I have never been so livid on a golf course in my life

I actually think they are correct about that, actually. They are probably wrong to tee off with you out there but you should wait until they are done before going out and playing it.

I actually think they are correct about that, actually. They are probably wrong to tee off with you out there but you should wait until they are done before going out and playing it.

Wow, I would have never guessed that. I assumed being 15 foot off my own fairway was playing off another fairway. The fairway they were teeing off was 40 yards to my left. So if I'm not on a fairway on my tee shot I am to wait until the group ahead of me hits their approach, chip, 2 putt and tee off the next box to take my second shot? I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, I hobestly didn't know if that was proper etiquette

Wow, I would have never guessed that. I assumed being 15 foot off my own fairway was playing off another fairway. The fairway they were teeing off was 40 yards to my left. So if I'm not on a fairway on my tee shot I am to wait until the group ahead of me hits their approach, chip, 2 putt and tee off the next box to take my second shot? I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, I hobestly didn't know if that was proper etiquette

I thought you said you were on their fairway? If not then I'm not actually sure. I think you are fine to play if you aren't in their fairway.

So I waited til their second shot and drove, pulled my drive about 15 feet left of the fairway and waited for them to finish the hole. They finished, I walked up to take my second shot and before I get to my backstroke they're teeing right into me on parallel greens. Ball whizzed right by me and when they drove by the man said "sorry, but you shouldn't be playing off another fairway when someone's teeing off...its really you're fault" I have never been so livid on a golf course in my life

Taking @tony21 at his word, 15 feet off of a fairway hardly seems like he'd be in the other fairway.  On the other hand, you ARE supposed to wait for people for people to play their own fairway if you're in the wrong one.  Etiquette like this is no excuse for putting someone in danger, of course, but they could have had the right-of-way.

And now I'm reading @tony21 's response, and it seems like my impression was right, he wasn't in their fairway, perhaps in the rough between two fairways.  Sounds like the right-of-way claim was an excuse, used instead of the apology they owed.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Fairway metal.... sounds like they should have at least a skull on them.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Taking @tony21 at his word, 15 feet off of a fairway hardly seems like he'd be in the other fairway.  On the other hand, you ARE supposed to wait for people for people to play their own fairway if you're in the wrong one.  Etiquette like this is no excuse for putting someone in danger, of course, but they could have had the right-of-way.   And now I'm reading @tony21 's response, and it seems like my impression was right, he wasn't in their fairway, perhaps in the rough between two fairways.  Sounds like the right-of-way claim was an excuse, used instead of the apology they owed.

Yes I misread his post. I thought he said he was in their fairway. My bad. :(

Fairway metal.... sounds like they should have at least a skull on them.

A fairway metal (medal) is the award some of my wilder friends should get in the unlikely event they actually land one in their OWN fairway! :dance::beer:

Dave

Note: This thread is 2532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!