IGNORED

Anyone else pumped for Tiger vs. AK tomorrow?

BigBoy
Note: This thread is 5412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

another must make 20 footer for the tourney on 16, and he just crams it in the hole - it is cliche and boring on the surface, but just so incredible at the same time - its really, really unbeleivable -

I hear you and to think that some people (JM) think that Tiger is not a great putter. He will soon own most of the records (not all - like Byron Nelson's 11 in a row albeit against weaker fields) and then the Who's the Greatest argument will be put to bed.

I was not really excited about the AK vs. Tiger matchup because AK, while a great player, does not have the total game mastery of Tiger -- had he won, I would have thought it would have been a lucky or hot day for AK and a less than typical day for Tiger. It turned out the best player in the world showed exactly why he is so dominant. He played the last nine exactly to win, no more and no less. He hit the shots and the putts the world's best would hit. One bad drive on 11... one lost shot.

Except for the birdie putt on the par 5 after pitching short, it was great golf. That birdie was a notch more, spectacular -- but that is not what makes Tiger so special. He simply went out there and won it. And even the totally unexpected 62 by Mahan was just a signal post -- something that indicated this is what you have to do. There are not many who have ever been able to control their sport like Woods. I was more in awe about the way he played 17 and 18... no mystery, no excitement, just perfect golf. Not a glimmer of hope for Mahan for a playoff.

RC

We all want a real rival to TW and we would root for any would be rival but let's face it, there isn't one such person. Sorry, not AK, not Rory, not Danny Lee. Nobody.

TW goes away for 9 mths, didn't touch a club till Jan '09, hit his first full shot in Feb '09, and by July '09 he has won 3 tournaments and has not finished outside the top-10 in any tourney he has entered.

He's not even "100% back" yet. Don't forget, it takes up to 2 yrs to fully heal from his ACL surgery. There are still things his doctors tell him he can't do on his knee. Do you believe he's going to dominate big time when he's fully recovered? Heck, there'll be all manner of Legend's Slams, Tiger Slams, and the big one - Grand Slam.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

Tiger really closed in great fashion. Birdied to avoid a playoff with Hunter Mahan (who had the best final round of anyone and caught the leaders). Congratulations to Tiger for winning his tournament. He won Arnie's, Jack's, and now his. To make this a good year, he has two Majors left and needs to win at least one of them. The Open Championship at Turnberry is coming up and the big question is this: what will the weather be like? Dan Jenkins is right---Turnberry is nowhere near as difficult as Carnoustie or Muirfield, so this makes it a course open for low scores, as The Shark proved.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

TW goes away for 9 mths, didn't touch a club till Jan '09, hit his first full shot in Feb '09, and by July '09 he has won 3 tournaments and has not finished outside the top-10 in any tourney he has entered.

He finished T17 at the Match Play. But all Stroke Play events have been top 10.

I realized what was unsettling to me about AK this weekend. Did anyone notice his belt buckles? Exactly! They were normal size. What happened?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger really closed in great fashion. Birdied to avoid a playoff with Hunter Mahan (who had the best final round of anyone and caught the leaders). Congratulations to Tiger for winning his tournament. He won Arnie's, Jack's, and now his. To make this a good year, he has two Majors left and needs to win at least one of them. The Open Championship at Turnberry is coming up and the big question is this: what will the weather be like? Dan Jenkins is right---Turnberry is nowhere near as difficult as Carnoustie or Muirfield, so this makes it a course open for low scores, as The Shark proved.

if it turns out to be a birdie fest then i would take the field, not tiger. when the courses are easier then the playing field seems to level out for the most part, and all these guys can make birdies being the pros they are. when its tougher then the cream rises to the top. so as much as i hate to say it, i dont think tiger is winning the british.

Colin P.

I wanted AK but how can you not love Tiger. He really went out of his way for the military in this event. Real human when he fist touched the private in the wheel chair on the way to the 18th. The military also got in free and they had their own tent with free food and drinks. A great way to honor our guys and his Dad.

He also gave the winning ball to that guy when he left the green. I was really happy to see that, and glad to see him win again. It was an awesome way to celebrate the people defending our country.

On a side note: I was watching CBS's coverage of the match and they didn't show the shot that AK made after he went through those trees and into the opposite fairway on the left. I was curious how he got out of that and wanted to see the shot.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

They were talking about the groove change during the final few holes yesterday, and one of the commentators made a comment to the affect that "Tiger is one of the few guys not playing the deep U-grooves."

HUH? Am I to believe that Tiger is playing with smaller grooves than most of the guys out there?
TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

...HUH? Am I to believe that Tiger is playing with smaller grooves than most of the guys out there?

Agreed, that surprised me too. I asssumed the announcer would go on to answer the obvious question of "What advantage does Tiger gain by playing smaller grooves?", but no such luck.

Bill

• Administrator
HUH? Am I to believe that Tiger is playing with smaller grooves than most of the guys out there?

Probably so, yes. Maybe not smaller than everyone, but his irons - like the AP2s, ZBs, and ZMs that some Titleist people use - conform to the new groove rule.

Not on his wedges, though. Those still have the big ol' grooves.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

We all want a real rival to TW and we would root for any would be rival but let's face it, there isn't one such person.

dude come on.......24,19,18........their game will improve as they become more experienced!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

dude come on.......24,19,18........their game will improve as they become more experienced!

Yeah. Look at it this way: when Danny Lee hits the prime for many professional golfers, Tiger will be in his 40s. While I don't doubt that Tiger can be a good-putting-Vijay in his 40s, and will be if he still cares about golf at that point, it's worth noting.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Yeah. Look at it this way: when Danny Lee hits the prime for many professional golfers, Tiger will be in his 40s. While I don't doubt that Tiger can be a good-putting-Vijay in his 40s, and will be if he still cares about golf at that point, it's worth noting.

Danny will be fine. I was lucky enough to see alot of Tiger at his 1st Masters ... I also saw alot of Danny Lee on Friday of this year's Masters (he shot like an 80

) ... he's not where Tiger was mentally at that age imo, but that's not saying anything. Tiger's mental toughness may never be surpassed.

Note: This thread is 5412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!