IGNORED

3-Wood off a tee

enduro
Note: This thread is 4908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It seems that when my driving is off, my 3 wood is on and when the driver is on, the 3 wood is garbage that day. I've yet to have a day where I've consistently hit both straight (shaft issue possibly?)

but when i do hit the 3 wood on the screws its usually around 240-260. It's a 15º

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I need to hit my 3 Wood more.. when i'm hitting it good, I'm around 250-275.. I am a more accurate with it as well.

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

I just want to be sure....does everyone realize that Tiger and Phil hit their 3 woods 265? Just checking.

It does seem like a lot of people on here, as with driver distance, are overestimating their 3-wood length off the tee. Who knows, maybe everyone on here is really at tour distances when "hitting it on the screws"?

"I'm not going left or right of those trees, okay. I'm going over those trees...with a little draw." ~ Tin Cup

A solid 3-wood strike is ~260-280. If I "need" more than 270 I use a driver.
If I need more than 250 and < 290, I use a 3-wood.
If 230 to 260 is good, I use the hybrid.
If 215-240 is good, I use a 3-iron.

PS. Not really interested in what Tiger and Phil would do.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I just want to be sure....does everyone realize that Tiger and Phil hit their 3 woods 265? Just checking.

Tiger hits his 3 wood a little farther than that.. a few times at the Chevron he hit it over 300

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

I hit my 3 wood around 235-245 and use it off the tee quite a bit. It all depends on the hole and where I want my second shot to come from whether or not I hit driver, 3 wood, or an iron.

In my stand bag....

Driver: Titleist 910D2 9.5
3 wood: R9 TP
Irons: R9 TP

Wedges: xFT 52*, 56*, 60* Putter: Circa '62 #3

Ball: Penta TP #13

I don't carry a 3 wood because I put my driver in the fairway 74.3% of the time, although I can't hit that as far as Tiger or Phil hit their 3 woods either.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ill hit my 3wood around 240-250 off of the tee. Its a 13.5 degree. Ill use it by default on just about any par 4 under 380 yards.

You're maybe 10-15 yards longer than me with the 3W, but that is what I should do as well. I'd be faced with a longer approach shot than you but it would still be better than the alternative (hacking out of rough too often etc etc).

hmmm, maybe I'll start using your "rule" and see what it does to my score, instead of just playing it by ear on the tee.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Think of it this way....where do you want to be hitting your approaches (within reason...can't always be pitching them on the green)? My comfortable and best approaches are from 130-150. So do the math. If you hit 230-240 and you're playing a 380 par 4 then three wood is your club. If your optimal approach is 115-125 then maybe driver is in order (unless the hole is very narrow). Narrow holes, for me, require precision and I'm not a precise driver guy. 400-425 narrow driving hole may force me to hit the 3 wood and bear down on a longer approach. But for most am's, the three wood can be your best friend.

I hit my 3 wood between 230-250, 250 if I'm center of the face. Average is probably 235 or so. Now that I have finally learned to leave the driver in the bag unless it is wide open or a long par 5, I'm using it quite a bit. I've started to tee off in order to get a second shot distance I like, I'm more comfortable personally with a 100-150 yard second shot than a 50-90 yarder. I only hit my driver 10-20 yards farther anyway.. not really that much of a gain.

Driver - VR str8 fit
3 wood - Burner 09
3 hybrid - Burner hybrid
Irons - VR split cavity S300 shaft
SW - CG15 56 degreeLW - VR forged 60 degreePutter - Studio select

Keep posting guys. Eventually I'll get the idea and leave the driver in the bag unless it's wide open or a really long par 4. I hate to keep name-dropping like this I really do ( ) but at Spyglass recently, looking at some of those narrowish fairways and long par 4s, even I figured out I had to stick with the 3W. And it really worked, i.e. kept me around bogey golf. Had I played driver all day I'd have been well into 3 figures.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

15 degree, steel shaft hit it 235-250 off tee or fairway. its strangely become my go to club this year. was never able to hit it at all till about 2 -2 1/2 years ago.

Love my strong 3 wood. 13 degrees, nice and low, 260-280. And that's no exaggeration.
The control is so much easier. I played a whole round with it, no driver, just for the hell of it, and still played to my average.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

Off the tee is average @235 with 225 being short and 250 a poke. I use a X Tour Cally 15 degree model with a stiff shaft.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 4908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!