IGNORED

what do you chip with around the green?

ScottL
Note: This thread is 5363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

58* Wedge. I use Utley's style, and I am trying Phil Mickelson's recently, which it also simple and effective.

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05
My bags and cart: Titleist Carry Bag | Mizuno Omega V + Clicgear 2.0

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my 58° almost for everything, but I can use all my irons, it depends on the kind of shot I want.

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

It depends on how much roll I'm hoping for and how much fringe I have to carry.

I've chipped with anything from a 3 wood to SW...it all depends.

My 54*SW is my go-to stick for much of my greenside work.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

From the rough, almost always a 60*. on an uphill lie, i hit a 56*.
From fairway, 56* to carry a ways onto the green; Running the ball across the green, i use pw or 7i.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

When you guys talk about getting it down quickly, are you talking when you are just off the green? I would think it would be very hard to gage how much the grass will grab, the amount of bounce, and roll (along with the break of the green) I would get chipping with a 7 iron from more than a few yards back.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I use my sand wedge and pitching wedge for the most part. I used to use my lob wedge, and I found that it was much easier to use less loft.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I use my 60* from 90 yards and in. I will use my 52* if I've got a tight lie in the fringe. I'll use my 52* or 57* if the lie is poor (i.e. hard ground or funny grass) as they both have a much sharper leading edge, helping to prevent the club from bouncing off the ground.
That being said, I don't have much spin on my shots. I'll chip with my 60* from just off the green into an up slope and run it up the hill a bit.
I think one of my favorite shots to pull off though is a short flop out of deep green side rough to a downward sloping green...sure is nice when pulled off successfully, but not for the timid.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

My local club pro is a firm believer in the bump and run, but I rarely use it.

I mostly use anything from a PW to a 60*.

Pitching wedge for fringe/fairway shots to a open pin, 54* for a fairway/ fringe or tight pin, and a 56 or 60 from the rough.

In the bag:
Driver: 907 D2/Proforce V2 R-flex
Hybrid: Burner '07 3 Hybrid/Re-Ax Shaft/19* (4* draw bias)
Irons: AP1 4-7i
AP2 8-PWedges: Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52.06/56.11) VR Forged Chrome 60.06Putter: Ignite 001 Ball: Pro V1/ One Tour/

I use a pitching wedge from 20 yards or more, a sand wedge from 20 in, and for chip shots that need to hop over the fringe and roll, I use my 7 iron. Love the bump N' run. The less time it spends in the air on those super short chips the better. I'm a new school player with an old school short game lol. That system works really good for me, and I can't wait to add a lob wedge into the mix after my birthday. I can sometimes flop with my sand wedge, but it is too risky. I need a low bounce lob wedge for flop shots and firm turf. My sw is my go-to for the deep rough and sand, but I really need a lw already lol. Tired of blading shots off of the firm stuff.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

Like most, it depends on the lie. I am most comfortable & accurate with my 60* and can flop the ball within a few feet from most spots around the green. If I'm just off the fringe, sometimes I'll use my pw - 7i & try to roll it in.

that said, I really believe that a short club is the most important factor around the green - you want to get up over the ball & control the shot for accuracy - I have tried my hybrid, 3w, even driver for bump & run shots, but I usually just spray the green - or roll off the back...

usually my 54 degree. sometimes the 60.

I just deloft the 54 a little if I want hit it lower or open it up to hit it a bit higher. I prefer to get familiar with one club around the green and go with it.

I never use a 8i or 9i or something like that, I find it too difficult to control the distance.

I have no set club that I chip with. I take into account all the factors from the lie, hole location, green slope, and distance. Then I try and visualize the shot and pick the club that I feel gives me the best chance to pull the shot off.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

I pretty much use my pw for every shot inside of 110 yards unless im in a bunker(56 deg sand wedge) or under a tree or something and I might use maybe a 7 or 8 iron to keep the ball lower. I feel more comfortable taking a partial swing with my pw than hitting my 56 deg sw all out and usually get better results. If im close enough Ill usually putt even if im not even on the fringe as long as the grass isnt too thick and can usually get it reasonably close, at least close enough to realistically make the next one.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

always my sand wedge. Maybe I'm a little stubborn but i don't feel right with any club around the green except my sand wedge.

If I'm a few feet off of the green and going downhill or the pin is real close I'll use a 56 degree. Otherwise I use my 46 degree (pw). I experimented with the 56, but always seemed to come up short unless real close.

Note: This thread is 5363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!