IGNORED

Walking or Cart???

Ty Haegs

Note: This thread is 3272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you always walk, get a cart, or both

• I am a walker
    • Give me a cart
    • I enjoy both

Just curious what the norm is for everyone on whether you only walk/cart or both. I for one usually use a cart just because I am almost always with other people. Could you imagine how slow 4 people walking and each one playing their own ball would be? Though in the few instances when I play with myself I like to walk. Reason being that I like to take my time and my score definitely reflects it.

I always walk. If I play in a charity event, where carts are required, then I tell my partner that I prefer to walk, and let him or her drive the cart around. My preference for walking is based on these factors:

1. I love the exercise, and walking 18 holes on a hilly course, like my home course, is a decent workout. There are only 2 of us who are in good enough shape to walk the course.

2. It helps my rhythm. My full swing is based on good tempo and rhythm. Walking helps me to achieve that and keep it during the course of the round.

3. Focus---I do not have to talk to anyone, so I can stay focused on the "job at hand".

4. Observe nature---we have many foxes, deer, wild turkeys, blue herons, etc. around our area in Central New York. We are the "Foothills of the Adirondacks", and we grow up with wildlife and birds.
  • Upvote 1

Generally, if I am playing for a score (vast majority of the time), I walk using my clicgear. If it is more of a social outing (charity scramble, etc.), I may ride a cart. I selected walk in the poll because I consider myself a "walker."

You can't beat walking in the cool autumn weather! I suppose some people have to ride because they can't walk 18 holes, and I feel for them, but there is nothing like walking with a beautiful scenery.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I must be the only one whose game suffers when I walk. I'm probably the most out of shape too.

I have horrible ankles from playing sports over the years and my right knee and foot is effed from a car accident I was in. When I get home from riding 18 I still have trouble walking without a limp.

I love to walk and honestly I'll walk to my ball if I feel up to it, but I doubt I'd last 18 w/o a cart.

If I wasn't so bad I would never use a cart. I enjoy the exercise and hate babysitting a cart. But with some of my errant shots it would take too long to make it through 18 if I only walked.

I prefer to walk. Walking an 18 hole round of golf will burn approximately 900 to 1,200 calories, obviously more if you are a golfer that takes more swings and hit your ball from the rough on the right side of the fairway to the left side of the fairway. Walking 18 is a good alternative if you miss a day or two at the gym.

However, I would highly recommend a cart to those golfers that are just starting out or have a 15 handicap or higher just so that it does keep the pace of the game up. ROUNDS OVER 4.5 hours kill me!!

richieb

I prefer to ride. I'm young enough, and in pretty good shape, I just don't want to walk. I used to walk quite a bit to save money, but that isn't as big an issue for me now so I ride. Plus, the 2-3 courses I play aren't really set up for walking. There are a few spot on each course where it can be 75-100 yards from green to tee.

Im a walker. Of the total rounds i play in a year, ill walk around 98% of them. I went to florida last winter (where walking is apparently outlawed) which dropped my average down to 98.

hahaha well they don't call it "Heaven's Waiting Room" for nothing.

Note: This thread is 3272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!