IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

You need both in the right sequence and quantity.

Which I'm struggling with mightily this week.  First tournament this Saturday.  Pray for me.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Question, How would you fix a person who has enough hip slide, but in doing so he creates a reverse C when his head drops a bit down and back, while the club goes through impact. This is what i do, and its really the only feeling i get of getting my hips slide to the left. Just curious how to isolate that head movement out and maintain the hip splide.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Jwat381

I do the same, and my right heel comes up pretty early.

It's tough to say for sure but most likely too much rotation, not enough sliding and then extension in the follow through.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For me the wider my stance is the earlier my right heel lifts off the ground; it's still a 'banking' lift (heel and outside of the foot lift but big toe area and ball of the foot stay in contact with the ground) but it's not ideal. Far easier to see the motion when barefoot.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

For me the wider my stance is the earlier my right heel lifts off the ground; it's still a 'banking' lift (heel and outside of the foot lift but big toe area and ball of the foot stay in contact with the ground) but it's not ideal. Far easier to see the motion when barefoot.

I'll tinker with narrowing my stance.  But for me, my right heel is off the ground probably halfway into my downswing.  For some reason I can't clear my hips AND get the clubface square without doing it.  It's something I'm working on right now at the range.

Brandon

I think i'm starting to get the right foot roll and maybe this will help someone else.  For me, I started by trying to keep my right foot down, flat.  Just not let it lift off the ground at all.  It feels very restrictive and didn't produce good shots, but it was relatively easy to accomplish.  Once I was able to swing like that, I worked on rolling it.  After a month of working on the hip slide unsuccessfully, I approached it this way and it probably took 20 balls to go from lifting my heel in the downswing to rolling my foot.

I should add the disclaimer that I think I figured this out on Tuesday; I still have to work on it and its very possible that the fix was an illusion that will disappear next time i go out.  But keeping it flat, then rolling it, seemed to help me find it.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

This post is truly the biggest secret, what with all of the golf gadgetry that aspiring golfers can get trapped into. I would watch my Dad's swing since he's always had a fundamentally sound swing that produced lazer like tee shots, but I could never make the connection between the right foot roll, turning of the hips and closed shoulders. He was always a better golfer than an instructor.

I might add that for my understanding (hopefully this will help someone else), the right foot roll is a result of the hip sliding to the left. When I'm performing the downswing and come to the part of the swing where I'm sliding my left hip to "post up", the rolling of the right foot is a natural progression. I'm making a conscious effort of pointing my right knee towards the target though.

This tip may be the single most important advice I have ever gotten. After finding this thread the other day, I went to the range and tried it on a couple of buckets. The change was dramatic. While it doesn't solve all my problems, my range of misses was much, much narrower. It feels like a basic pattern from which I can work on other aspects of the swing. The next test will be my next range visit to see if the results carry over. I'm hopeful. Then I can't think about getting it onto the course.

After reading and watching some tips from this thread Ive been working on reducing my hip slide. The most help so far is slowing down my back swing and ive notied a huge difference. Im hitting the ball straighter or with a draw a lot more consistently.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a buddy who I tried to get to take up golf.  He was a crazy smart guy, finished an EE degree in two years, pretty eccentric, ran away at 7 years old and was raised by carnies, not in that order.  I put a club in his hands and his first thought was about using the body to cantilever the club and generate speed with the head fixed in space.  He tilted left on the downswing and tilted back to the right on the backswing keeping his head in the same spot.  There were some technical issues that needed to be fixed for consistency, but the whole motion was a lot closer to being correct than if he had thought "You know, the golf swing is really all about rotation and clearance.  I need to rotate back and rotate through and then spend the rest of my life obsessed with release and plane."  Too bad he went to prison.

• Upvote 1

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I am having some issues with getting the hip to slide "further" left  on the down swing.  I notice that my right foot (heel) comes off the ground on the down swing. i will have to try to keep it flat and "roll" it moving the right knee towards the left. it's not as easy as it sounds..any other tips to get this motion?

The only way I was able to eliminate the full right foot lift & pivot (well before impact) was to just use the "left heel roll" as a swing thought.  I had to spend a hundred swings or so on the range with that swing thought in mind.  I actually use it to start my downswing...sort of a bump of the left side (hip) forward, and a roll onto the left side of the instep of your right foot.

That's what has been working for me...it may not be correct I want to get that canon elph 300 camera for $150 so that I can finally get some good video of my swing and the changes over the past year.

Brandon