IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

how much downhill.. rule of thumb, for every yard downhill it will travel a yard farther..

how the heck did we get to driving distance, go to Golf forum, two threads are there for that ;b

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Just a little video, the third in a series...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I had a buddy of mine record a couple of swings for me (but we only looked at them at the range, I haven't gotten a copy of them here yet to post) but two things really jumped out and I wanted to see which one I should work on first.

1) My head has a tendency to move a couple of inches down on the backswing, and this is sometimes coupled with maybe an inch of movement towards the ball (in a DTL view). With a face on view I can see the vertical drop, but luckily, there is no left/right movement (well, it moves right, but well into my follow-through). So what might be causing this, and how should I tackle fixing it?

2) My left arm appears to be detaching from my torso in the follow through (i.e. if I had a tee in my left armpit it would have fallen out shortly after impact). From everything I've seen that left arm should stay fairly connected to the torso through the finish.

Which of these is a bigger problem, that I should tackle first? And what are some good drills to do so? (Obviously for #2 its the "tees under the arm" drill, so really I need a drill for #1, and a priority between the two).
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 10.5*
Hybrids: Nickent 4DX 3+, 4, 5
Irons: Ping G15 5 - PW
Wedges: Mizuno MP-R (52*, 56*, 60*)
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4 (34" and 35")

I tried taking my hands "deep" on the backswing, as my swing is a little upright and I wanted to get a more inside to outside swingpath going. However, I'm frequently toeing the ball. Can't tell if I'm purposely shortening my arms by not fully extending them on the downswing or some other reason. Anyone else ever encounter this?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

My battle with Stack and Tilt rages on.
Bought the videos, was intrigued and saw slight improvement but still struggled.
Bought the book, looked through the drills and light bulbs went off.
I headed out for a round on Wednesday to one of the most beautiful courses in the area ( had a great deal on too ) with my usual partner.
We played match play and I dominated him from the first tee box to the last. I was drawing the ball predictably, outdriving him, hitting GIR's and was up in match play by 3 holes going into the back and finished up 2.
Then came Saturday. Gone was my draw, gone was my consistent ball striking. Slice, hook, slice, fat, fat, FAT! Did I mention FAT!

The swing works. I am currently a 25 handicap but on Wednesday I played like I never have before. Not only did I shoot and score well but I had confidence over every shot. I knew I could draw the ball and even on the dogleg right I knew I could drastically cut the corner and bring it back to the fairway...and it worked, every shot worked. Move the ball position slightly, change the set up at address and I could easily shape my flights.

For anyone who thinks this swing doesn't work, you either have no clue as you haven't look at it at all, you need to look at it deeper, or you are just an idiot. Did I say it was for everyone? No, but it does work.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

My battle with Stack and Tilt rages on.

THat's great that its starting to kick in. i am on the fence witht the DVDs (not wanting to chuck that much money on them) but I did get the book and I am getting so much from it and really starting to see a big change in my game. THe book is well worth the read and for $17 bucks on amazon there really isn't a reason not to get it if your interested in the swing thought.

I decided to take the plunge into SnT. I've taken my first 15-20 strokes in the back yard on video, and I can see a difference in my swing already. I can also see a difference in where my divot is. Is there any sense in uploading video without a ball?

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

• Administrator
Is there any sense in uploading video without a ball?

To be honest, no, not really.

And - not at you directly but in general - no swing change can be "done" overnight. You can't go out and "try Stack and Tilt." Undoubtedly you did some things better in the back yard, but I've been working on the swing for 18 months and I'm still working on a few pieces - my hips don't rotate enough, I overflex my right elbow, and my club gets inside my hands at P2 for starters. They're smaller errors for me I'm sure, but just work on a piece at a time and REALLY cement that piece in your game. The geometry should improve at each step and trying "do it all" is a recipe for disaster regardless of the swing you're trying to make - Stack and Tilt or Leadbetter or whatever else.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have the videos, and I'm in the middle of watching them for the fourth time. I just wish there was a... START HERE! NOW DO THIS kind of exercise. I kind of feel like, I watch the video, have a base understanding, and I'm still left on my own to figure out what to do in what order to progress into the swing.

As I said I can see an immediate difference, and I like the concept, so this is by no means a dig. While on one hand I'm kind of bitching about it, at the same time I kind of like having to self analyze my video and really pay attention to what I am or am not doing. Sort of makes me really pay attention to the feeling of the swing.

In the bag

• Administrator
I have the videos, and I'm in the middle of watching them for the fourth time. I just wish there was a... START HERE! NOW DO THIS kind of exercise. I kind of feel like, I watch the video, have a base understanding, and I'm still left on my own to figure out what to do in what order to progress into the swing.

A lot of the people we see doing S&T; on their own tend to overdo some pieces. Just go slowly, work on a piece or two at a time, and typically you'll want to work on things in order - get P2 down before working on P6 or else the faults at P2 will cascade into faults at P6... etc. Good luck.

I was watching part of the AT&T; the other day and they played a slow-mo of a Charlie Wi drive where he just about lifted his right foot off the ground when he was swinging through the ball, it sort of nearly lost contact and slid back an inch or two. Did anyone else see it?

We are told to transfer most of our weight (90%?) to the front foot and I was wondering if Charlie's method is encouraged as an option for anyone, like me, who is still struggling with the driver?
Bag: Pioneer LC
In the Bag
G15 Driver 9*, Aldila Serrano (Stiff)
G15 4 Wood, Aldila Serrano (Stiff)
G15 Hybrids 20*, 23*, AWT (Stiff)G15 5-9, PW, UW, SW, AWT (Stiff) MP T-10 56*10*Karsten "Ping MyDay" putter

I guess I'll watch the video again and see if I can figure out what p2, p6 etc means. Assume you are refering to different positions in the swing pattern.

In the bag

I began the first set of drills last night, incorporating the weight forward, hands in, straightened right leg, etc.

Although hitting foam practice balls in the backyard, the ball was straight, contact seemed good and farther than hitting the same ball with my original swing and my driver was straight! My irons have always been decent, I just can rarely get off the tee. I was just about to soil myself because I was seeing the ball come off my driver straight. But that voice crept up and said "hey moron, its a foam ball, little or no spin". But I had hit the foam balls before with the driver and still got the banana so I am still excited. I think its the inside path on my takeaway now that is eliminating the out to in that caused the side spin on the ball. At least it felt that way.

Yes, it was only 50 hits with practice balls, but compared to the same results with the same balls using my original swing, the difference is very noticeable.

However, a few issues that I need feedback on from those experts out there - I am still not taking a divot. In fact I never have. I am like Tom Watson and pick it clean. I did the drill of painting a line and hitting the dirt and now I feel like my wrists need to be in braces this morning and need to get the lie and loft corrected on the club I used! Also, I cannot for the life of me keep my left arm straight after impact, a slight chicken wing still wants to appear. I never had that with the old swing. I am making the full rotation and I am not trying to roll my wrists to release the club so I am baffled at the cause. It doesn't affect anything ( I think) I just don't like its appearance or the uncontrolled feeling on follow thru.

I plan to take it to the course for real feedback this Saturday morning at 6:15am so I can get out and play 2 or 3 balls per shot and not hold up the course.

I'll let ya know how many people are sueing me for injury or property damage and how many balls from the dozen I return home with.

Home Course Fairfield Greens
In my Bag Boy Revolver bag...
Driver: Tour Burner 43" REAX 60 gram shaft 13 degree
Fairway: X Tour 3 metal 15 degree
Hybrid: 5H 26 degreeIrons: X-22 5 thru PWWedges: Jaws 60, 52Putter: Tour White Hot #2 Center Shaft 33 inchesBall: ProV1

I guess I'll watch the video again and see if I can figure out what p2, p6 etc means. Assume you are refering to different positions in the swing pattern.

P1: Address

P2: Club shaft parallel to the ground on the takeaway P3: Lead arm parallel to the ground on the takeaway P4: Top of backswing P5: Lead arm parallel to the ground on the downswing P6: Club shaft parallel to ground on the downswing P7: Impact P8: Follow-through P9: Finish

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

P1: Address

Thanks! Now I just wish I had 9-foot ceilings so I could observe all of that in a mirror. At 6'4" I don't think I could practice any of that in the house without committing to ceiling repairs. I suppose I can practice P1 & P2, but that's about it.

In the bag

Thought this was the best place to post this question.
Charlie Wi was striking the ball so well this weekend. It appears that his head moves forward and slightly down during the backswing--I'm guessing due to a lot of side tilting. This is clearly OK, considering his results. Is this something I should try and copy?--or should I try to keep my head "stacked" over the ball on the backswing?

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I spent a lot of time reading this thread. ONE guy gave simple instructions to a simple swing improvement and I tried to implement it last night. 55/45 weight distribution, Drop left shoulder to start swing, straighten leg, bump hips, accelerate hands. It was EASY to after a few.
I wont go on and on about my results because it was one bucket at one range on one day. Who knows. I could have swung the club with my feet and had a good night. Consistency is NON existent. I will tell you I had a TON of fun though.
But what I will do is this. These are my last 6 rounds with my score. Ill update if my game improves due to SnT. Im playing a TouGH course tomorrow so we'll see. Avg. putts a round are 34

06/24/10
Coral Creek

06/18/10
Hawaii Country Club

06/12/10
Hawaii Prince

06/09/10
Olomana

01/21/10
Koele

08/07/09
Hawaii Kai Executive

07/15/09
Olomana

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Went to the range tonight. Let's just say I have some work to do on this pattern. Practice swings in the back yard are completely different than when I have the stupid little white ball in front of me. I love this sport!!!

In the bag