IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whew! Read this entire thread after a recent video analysis by a local golf pro said I had some natural S&T; tendencies in my backswing (one plane, centered). He also pointed out my ott downswing and lack of enough forward weight shift, both things that S&T; can remedy.

Great, great info/videos here. Thanks!

I'll be trying these concepts out this week and am excited to do so. Expecting big increases in power/distance (driver goes about 200 now) and ball-striking (eliminate fat/thin).

BTW, anyone noticed the eerie abbreviation similarity between Stack & Tilt and SandTrap (S&T;, ST) ???!?!? :D

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Good article here:

Mike and Andy both appear to be enjoying the, uh, face-on view.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Training has benifits I guess

SQ DYMO STR8-Fit Driver Stiff
Callaway X Tour 3 Fairway Stiff
Slingshot HL Graphite Hybrids ( 3,4,5 ) Stiff
Slingshot HL Combo Steel Irons ( 6- PW ) Stiff
TaylorMade Z TP Wedges 52*/ 56* Rossa Daytona Core Classic

Hey, I need some help with fixing my S&T.; On all of my irons and my driver as well, I tend to pop up the ball (at least it looks that way) and the ball drops, without rolling much. I'm not 100% sure how to describe the ball flight, but it starts out to the right and comes back, drawing at the end. For example, on my 7i I'd estimate the ball goes around 145 carry and rolls 5-10 yards after that. Finally, I should mention I'm having the most trouble with my driver (the ball is going way too high). Thanks for any help.

• Administrator
Mike and Andy both appear to be enjoying the, uh, face-on view.

FWIW, Danah Bordner is Steve Bordner's wife, and Steve's a great guy who's in Cleveland, OH who has taught several schools with Mike and Andy.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

FWIW, Danah Bordner is Steve Bordner's wife, and Steve's a great guy who's in Cleveland, OH who has taught several schools with Mike and Andy.

Killjoy.

On a more serious note, the whole peg of the article was the "controversy" aspect, so clearly the writer wanted to select the most inflammatory quotes he could find on both sides. But even as an S&T; adherent (is that the right word?) I winced a bit at these.
Asked where the Stack and Tilt will be in 10 years, Plummer answered, “It will be universally accepted.” Bennett added, “It will be the standard procedure for teaching the golf swing.”

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I'm surprised the blog item only got three comments. And anything but inflammatory, very civil. The golfers are out on the course, getting the most out of the remaining summer.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Good article here:

this isnt right, is it? "The Stack and Tilt swing derives its name from an initial backswing move in which the weight is stacked above and over the front leg and the spine is tilted toward the target."

Colin P.

Yes.
The focus of the weight is to maintain it on the front foot. There is no conscious shifting of the weight back. The weight starts with about 55% on the left foot and as you progress through the swing the weight on the left foot increases.

The side tilt towards the target does happen but is offset by the rotation of the shoulders and body.

"Side tilt towards the target" is kinda misleading if you don't understand what they are talking about. The spine tilts to the left, which of course is towards the target when you are aligned. Due to the rotation however, the side tilt moves progressively from toward the target to toward the ball, or however far your shoulders rotate.
By the time you are fully tilted, you are also fully rotated, which makes you tilted towards the ball.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
this isnt right, is it?

In a word, no.

The centers are stacked but it's very slightly forward of the stance center, not over the front foot, and the tilt isn't towards the target but towards the ball at the end of the backswing.

In a word, no.

thats what i thought. a follow up question: at P2, i know that under no circumstances is the clubhead to be inside the hands. but is it ok for it to be outside the hands? or should it be even with the hands (parallel to the target line)? and should that be pretty much over the toe line at that point?

Colin P.

a follow up question:

It should be even with the hands. IIRC, it is better to be a bit outside than inside, but in line with the hands is what you should aim for.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

It should be even with the hands. IIRC, it is better to be a bit outside than inside, but in line with the hands is what you should aim for.

and at that point, it should be directly over the toe line? or farther inside?

Colin P.

Ugh, S&T; was doing wonders for my game for about a week and now I'm slicing everything again. What should my shoulder movement be like? Keep in mind I'm trying to get rid of an outside in swing that is slicing the ball.

• Administrator
Ugh, S&T; was doing wonders for my game for about a week and now I'm slicing everything again. What should my shoulder movement be like? Keep in mind I'm trying to get rid of an outside in swing that is slicing the ball.

Weight forward.

Shoulder down. Hands in. Straight arms. Tuck butt. Gonna be one of those things, basically. Without video of your swing, the odds are it's #1 or #3 (or #2, which plays into #3 particularly).

I played a pretty good round yesterday, but was a little disappointed because it could have been better. Many of my approach shots with my irons were pushes with no side movement at all.
As I played on I made one correction on the 18th hole, and consequently did not have any pushes on that hole. I noticed on my downswing/follow through I was allowing my head, shoulders, basically everything to move forward with the hips instead of keeping them over the ball.
Is this something that will actually aid to producing that push? I'm going out today and would like to work on keeping it out of play. If not, what are the common mistakes that will result in a push?