IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

I think that video deserves a thread where people can share there exit positions.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I woulda bet money that you were older than you are, Erik...

/on-topic: Another thing that the book doesn't seem to convey fully and something that I thought I was doing right ... that actually was! It's great to have these confirmations of the right positions.

I think that video deserves a thread where people can share there exit positions.

Yea, and another to see if anybody can hold the breath and stand still for longer than Erik :)... Just kidding, good video. This is one of the concepts that are completely mis-guided by the magazine's tips. Thanks

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05
My bags and cart: Titleist Carry Bag | Mizuno Omega V + Clicgear 2.0

Interesting, thanks.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

*Exit video*

Put a smile on Erik!

My club comes first, but that's not new. Good video, quick and easy explanation.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm a little behind most in this topic as I just got my book yesterday. I have pondered looking into the swing for a while but was concentrating so much on my current swing, that I was afraid to do anything other than that. I spent the biggest part of the week reading through this thread and decided to give it a try.

Nice videos and great info here. I can't wait to hit the range and start working on this swing. Maybe it is for me.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I'm a little behind most in this topic as I just got my book yesterday. I have pondered looking into the swing for a while but was concentrating so much on my current swing, that I was afraid to do anything other than that. I spent the biggest part of the week reading through this thread and decided to give it a try.

I'd recommend these as well in case you haven't seen them

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

If you're not using a camera or don't have someone to look, how can you tell whether you're tilting on the backswing properly vs dipping/leaning towards the ball?

The shoulder sticks video helped in that I could put a club on my shoulders and see where it points. Just wondering if there are any other ways to clue in on the correct turn back.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
If you're not using a camera or don't have someone to look, how can you tell whether you're tilting on the backswing properly vs dipping/leaning towards the ball?

Without a club in your hands, put your head on a wall. Make a backswing.

Tape two driveway sticks together (maybe put a tennis ball over one end so you don't poke your eye out), stick it in the ground and set the tennis ball end on the bill of your cap. Make a backswing. This one helps for going forward but you can see how it might help with the backswing too:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tape two driveway sticks together (maybe put a tennis ball over one end so you don't poke your eye out), stick it in the ground and set the tennis ball end on the bill of your cap. Make a backswing.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. Thanks.

BTW, I think I've taken SnT as far as I can go myself. I'll be taking a lesson with Steve Sereacki (apologies for spelling) next week. Can't wait. Would have liked to taken one of your one day clinics this season - schedule was no good. Hopefully next year.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I had never read this full thread before, but certainly found it interesting. I had been having the usual iron problems and eventually gravitated to using many of the basic principles of SnT. Not surprisingly, it has made my iron play much more consistent, especially in terms of good contact. I am now working on trying to apply some of the same principles to my driving. For a long time I have worked on hitting my drives on the upswing and keeping my weight back slightly. Intermittently I hit the ball too high which costs me distance. There is a good video on youtube about hitting the driver with SnT, but they advocate contact with 1-2 degree downward movement of the clubhead. I can't say that appeals to me. I am going to try the SnT swing with the ball extremely forward to get it on the upswing. What I am mainly looking for is consistency. Any thoughts out there on applying SnT to the driver?

Any thoughts out there on applying SnT to the driver?

Yes, hit down on it. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I have heard it stated that you will generally drive the ball somewhat straighter with a negative angle of attack and somewhat farther with a positive one. The PGA Tour average is about -1.3 degrees (ie. downward). Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much and would just concentrate on pushing the hips forward, extending fully and getting a solid impact. If you deliberately tee the ball way ahead of your low point, you're just setting up for a flip that will 1) rob you of any distance that might have been gained by a steeper launch angle and 2) pretty much guarantee inconsistent contact.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

On the simulator I now got a 6-7° launch angle with a 10.5º driver vs 15-20º before. It doesn't factor backspin too well, but It'll be interesting to see how that shot works out in the real world.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Traffic cone - set a traffic cone on your stance line so that when you take the club back properly (good P2 so the shaft is parallel to the target line) the heel of the club just clips the top of the traffic cone (the big ones work - they're like 30" tall or so). On the downswing because you'll have more lag and you'll be pushing your hips forward you'll swing well inside/short of the traffic cone, but on the backswing if you whip the club around and inside it'll clip the cone. Don't "cheat" it by pushing your hands out and above the cone - keep taking those in and just hinge the club up fast enough to miss the cone without rotating it or rolling it in.

Quick question to get a better understanding:

When you say set the cone on your stance line is that cone lined up evenly with your leg or just ahead of it?

• Administrator
Quick question to get a better understanding:

The top of the cone is roughly even with the middle of your knee joint. You'll want to start with it further back (towards your butt, left in a DTL view) and then progressively push it forward until it's even with your knee joint.

Basically, you want the top of the cone at the proper hand and clubhead depth for P2.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On the simulator I now got a 6-7° launch angle with a 10.5º driver vs 15-20º before. It doesn't factor backspin too well, but It'll be interesting to see how that shot works out in the real world.

Richie 3Jack had a nice post the other day about Trackman data and swing characteristics with the driver.

http://3jack.blogspot.com/2010/09/tr...sis-91310.html

Stretch.

I have been working on SnT with my irons (big improvement) and driver (some improvement). Is it my imagination or does SnT significantly inhibit hooking? When I am emphasizing weight on my left leg, it feels very difficult to be able to close the clubface at contact--which I consider a good thing. Most of the time my flight is straight or slight push/fade and only rarely a mild draw. No bad hooks. So I aim my flight "cone" dead straight or very slightly left.