IGNORED

How do they hit the tee shots so damn FAR!?

kleraudio
Note: This thread is 5182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Speaking of roll out, Ive seen the trackman stats and the numbers say that pros hit their drivers pretty much as high as they hit their pitching wedge. So with that said, how do they get so much roll??

If my ball drops at 250, my total yardage will be like 252. I dont get any roll whatsoever and I hit my driver a little lower than my wedge...??

Oh and I think the course they were on was like 7900 yards or something insane like that..... I think I'd shoot like 115 if I played there
Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Low cut fairways on excellent courses, they also hit the pitching wedge rather low and create backspin with it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Speaking of roll out, Ive seen the trackman stats and the numbers say that pros hit their drivers pretty much as high as they hit their pitching wedge. So with that said, how do they get so much roll??

A) They're golf clubs are optimized to have high launch and low spin, and the low spin will encourage roll.

B) The more forward force (ball speed, more or less) the more roll. A pitching wedge doesn't have much ball speed, a pro's driver does. C) Perfectly low cut fairways.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Angle of descent isn't the same.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I thought the cold weather might negate some of the distance. Obviously, 40s did, but mid to high 50s didn't seem to as much.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I think natural athleticism has a lot to do with it. I've hit balls with friends who don't play golf really at all but were great athletes in high school, and just cream the ball.

kleroudio, it sounds to me like you probably have a high spin rate and that perhaps you are hitting a cut shot. Lower spin rate and a straight or draw shot would promote more roll. Good luck in your future enjoyment of the game.

Sure pros hit the ball pretty far, but it's just because they hit it solid, while being decently athletic and making efficient swings. It's all about getting the speed, then applying it efficiently. Anyone can do it. I average 270-280 now, and am confident that would go up at least 20 yards if I played in tour conditions.

Not only the elevation and low cut fairways, but have you guys ever played in the Arizona desert? I lived there for 2 years (Phoenix). The ground on those courses is hard as a rock, and dry, and the grass is hearty and runs fast too. It can be like a runway. It's insane.

kleroudio, it sounds to me like you probably have a high spin rate and that perhaps you are hitting a cut shot. Lower spin rate and a straight or draw shot would promote more roll. .

or we just live in florida, it rains every day may-nov...2 yds roll is prettty good.

Conditioning of athlete, equipment, elevation, speed of fairways, firmness of fairways, no humidity in the air.

Imagine if they were hitting those tee shots on the internet . They'd be driving all of the par 4s.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

This is probably a topic for another thread, but I think the equipment for the pros should be reined in a bit - just like they're doing with the wedges and like they continued to do in MLB (baseball for those overseas). Wooden woods, one-piece irons, stricter ball regulations, no belly putters. Whatever it takes. Just my 2 cents.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Conditioning of athlete, equipment, elevation, speed of fairways, firmness of fairways, no humidity in the air.

No, don't be silly, they'd be driving all the par 5s.

This is probably a topic for another thread, but I think the equipment for the pros should be reined in a bit - just like they're doing with the wedges and like they continued to do in MLB (baseball for those overseas). Wooden woods, one-piece irons, stricter ball regulations, no belly putters. Whatever it takes. Just my 2 cents.

Don't know about

that . I agree with square grooves, and making putters that are braced to the body illegal, but the rest of that stuff is a little too far. Major League Baseball limits it to wood bats for entirely different reasons. Driver COR has been limited to 0.83, so don't expect any 10,000 yard courses just yet. The USGA has already enacted hundreds of limits to keep these guys from doing what they do, but they are just that good. Besides, the record for the longest drive ever at a PGA tour event was set by Mike Austin... In 1974 ... At a senior tour event...
or we just live in florida, it rains every day may-nov...2 yds roll is prettty good.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing!

Besides, the record for the longest drive ever at a PGA tour event was set by Mike Austin... In

not sure i believe that. i read about it but im not sure the ball they found was really his ball.

Colin P.

For some perspective, you ought to look at the average driving distance at the AT&T; this year (Pebble Beach).....I hope I am not wrong, but I recall something right about 270. Also, I certainly recall seeing Jim Furyk hit a trouble club on a 202 yard par 3....more than one 7 iron from inside 150 yards (although I believe the hole played a bit uphill)......

I guess there are a couple points here --- the first being that if you take the players out of ideal conditions, the numbers aren't that ridiculous...and second, when you are talking about mamoth drives, you aren't talking about every player in the field.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Borrowed a picture from the Trackman Data: PGA Tour vs. LPGA thread .

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Borrowed a picture from the

So what your telling me is I hit it like a woman?

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Note: This thread is 5182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!