IGNORED

250 yards is a respectable carry distance

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

the very simple way to say all this is ....If I'm reaching the green in 2 and you're reaching the green in 3(on a good day), I'm gonna beat you 99% of the time. You can keep on practicing your short game and have no accuracy with your long shots and I guarantee you'll give up way more strokes to someone who smashes and has accuracy with shots other than 20 yard pitches.

I have yet to see any amateur at ANY handicap be able to chip consistently all day to give themselves nothing but 1 putts. I've seen all different handicaps be able to 2 putt pretty consistently, though.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

THE ACTUAL DISTANCE IS 260 YARDS!!!!!!!!!

you can hit a hybrid over a 40 ft high fence thats 260 out? i have a bridge i want to sell you.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

you can hit a hybrid over a 40 ft high fence thats 260 out? i have a bridge i want to sell you.

Even Buzz Aldrin didn't hit it that far.

I am a good golfer and a long hitter - My post was more about the fact that there is a lot of crap talked on forums and wherever golfers gather and it self perpetuates.

Now I admit I probably shouldnt have posted the hybrid out the range thing but It was to prove how ridiculous the 315 yard thing was rather than to say I hit a hybrid out the range.

PS the hybrid is past tense, the thing snapped and the big bit is in one of the water features - twas a BEN ross something or other.

As far as power goes I have a lot - my longdriveseries is currently running in the UK and the leader is on 393 yards, - I hit 389 yards BUT this is not on the leaderboard as its my tournament.

Anyone in the UK who wants to see how they measure up, drop me a line!

k

Hahaha. As soon as I read that I knew it was going to cause a whole new ****storm in this little teacup.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

An example of where crap information on driving distance comes from

Exactly. The range I go to, the 250 marker is often just 208 yards. I boom drive after drive well past the marker, and everyone there tells me, "wow, that's got to be 300 yards!" Hahaha. Yeah, right, I wish. We have water on the range at 235 yards at its shortest carry. It's

rare to see a splash. I can hit it, I have friends who can hit it, and none of them carries a handicap higher than 7, with one at around +3.
Anybody remember that kid awhile back on here that posted that he averaged 300 yards and everyone gave him shit so he shot that video on home course with a pocket full of top flights? He hit all but one to about 300 yards. The funniest part was after posting that to shut people up someone else posted. "Yea but that's because your hitting rocks for golf balls"

No, please show us the video.

I think we are conditioned when it comes to golf to assume the bigger numbers are correct and alwayS question poor results which contradict the best possible scenario, rather than vice versa.

Example, LD event called Thunderball, lots of guys wondered how they put up 210mph ballspeed and the ball ONLY went X yards - Not one competitor said, Wow I hit my normal distance but dont know where that 210mph ball speed came from!

We all want to believe we hit further than we do!

250 yards avg carry - is not far from the avg pga tour hitter who swings (and has done for a decade) at around 112 - 114mph

k

Anybody remember that kid awhile back on here that posted that he averaged 300 yards and everyone gave him shit so he shot that video on home course with a pocket full of top flights? He hit all but one to about 300 yards. The funniest part was after posting that to shut people up someone else posted. "Yea but that's because your hitting rocks for golf balls"

When did that happen? I remember a video posted by kid with a very low handicap who probably could have hit 300+ yard drives. I've seen a few swings in blogs and videos that could likely put the ball out past 300. Not one of those players claimed to average 300.

I did see one guy who claimed to hit 290 yards and every swing was full out and unbalanced. Most of his shots had a chance to go past 280, a couple maybe even got to 300, but he didn't claim to average 300.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

250 is a LOOONG way. i get a chance to play with lots of different people, as i show up as a single and get put with other two and threesomes, and i dont know that i have ever played with anyone who can hit it that far, 250 carry. i have one friend who can, when he catches it clean and straight, which is about 7-10% of the time. another friend used to be able to but now his swing is messed up. i play with average guys. most of whom wouldnt break 100 if they played by the rules and kept accurate score. they cannot hit it that far. like i said, that is a really long drive to carry it 250.

and yes, someone needs to find the thread with the kid hitting it that far. i dont remember it.

Colin P.

what type of SS does it take to his a 165 yard GAP WEDGE???

that what I saw one of the juniors at my club hit recently into a par 3.
I hit my 5i 170 yards........

He hits 280m (300 yard) drives regularly, he plays off 8 and could be off scratch if he could keep the ball in bounds. The game's pretty easy when you can hit sand wedges into most greens.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

what type of SS does it take to his a 165 yard GAP WEDGE???

what Ive noticed with alot of young golfers is they think they have to hit a 9 iron 175 yards etc. Its kind of like an insecurity thing but they pull it off alot because they swing out of their shoes.

what Ive noticed with alot of young golfers is they think they have to hit a 9 iron 175 yards etc. Its kind of like an insecurity thing but they pull it off alot because they swing out of their shoes.

Not only this, they deloft the club so it's a 7 iron anyway.

What they fail to realise is that noone gives a crap how far they hit it. I mean... there was a response yesterday ( which you quoted) where someone said one of his friends would play off scratch if he could hit it straight, which is like saying an amputee could win a golf medal at the Olympics if he had legs.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

NO NO NO NO NO NO The driver doesnt determine a low handicap. Its more about the short game and putting. I 've been hitting driver like a maniac for a while now. getting the occasional good shot and and the horrible out of bounds or on the other fairway but I make up with a solid short game. work from short game (chipping and putting). My friends are about 20 handicaps and they hit the ball straight most of the time. I'ts usually a guessing game from the tee for me but once Im around the green I catch up and either tie the hole or beat them by 1. They tend to have more 3 putts and chip to far from the hole. I credit my 13HC to my short game. once I straighen out the drive I hope to be below 10HC.

I know that driving isn't going to make me a low handicap, but at my current skill level, distance would be a help. I have a hard time hitting GIRs, in part due to to mishits, even when I hit two decent shots in a row on par 4s. Getting an extra 20 yards of drive (and maybe an extra 10 - 15 yards of long iron) would be a big help. I agree that a short game is essential, but if it takes me 3 or 4 strokes on average to get to where my short game begins, my scores won't be impressive.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I played 9 holes today. First tee was maybe 5-10 yards above the fairway. I nutted it and figured it would go about 300 after roll...walk down and it's a good 330 deep. I landed in the fairway(1 of 3 that round) so that definitely helped. I had several other good drives but was taking it easy to focus on accuracy mostly. I'd say I averaged 290 today with the driver....but shot a 44 :(

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*
MP-32 3-pw Rifle Project X 6.0
56*10 satin & 60*10 oil can Method #1

. . .someone said one of his friends would play off scratch if he could hit it straight, which is like saying an amputee could win a golf medal at the Olympics if he had legs.

You crack me up Shorty, now that is some funny sh*t right there. True that. As if scratch golf is achievable by hitting 300 yard bombs. I think many overlook the importance of the short game, putting and wedge play.
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

Divot Tool

Depends on your abilities. If I could reliably be 60 yards closer to the hole, then hello GIR, hello birdie chances and hello 2/3HC. I'm working on it!

Ill drive 270 to as long as 360MAX. I have little chance of hitting greens from 180 to 240 though. So basically I have a gap from 180 to 270. I lay up on par 3's over 170. Im decent from 160 in as long as my drive didnt go behind a tree. My best results are when I drive a ball green side, i usually make par.

my numbers are based off of google earth and are with 10 yards usually. HI has fallen from a 22 to a 18.7 over the last ten rounds due to driver consistency lately, started playing 6-2007. My best 9 holes is a 42 best 18 is a 87. I snowman at least 2 holes a round.

Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!