IGNORED

100 yards and in expectations

anthonykim3
Note: This thread is 5145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bet you have become good at not meeting your expectations.

Hahaha! Sorry... that was funny.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

a birdie at best, a par at worst...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Expectation lying 100 yds: green + 2 putt (or up & down) = 3 strokes
Reality: 3.5 strokes

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

My expectation: Make Par

It really depends on the distance, I would much rather have a 96 yard shot (easy, 3/4 PW) that I'm always died in to than to have a 50 yard shot, which is kind of a tweener for me.

In all reality, inside 100 yards, I'm looking to be within 15-20 feet and have a legit putt at a birdie.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

My expectation: Make Par

my thoughts exactly.. anytime I have a wedge up to a 9 in hand..i really expect myself to have a legit chance at bird... if I have anything like a 5 - 7 in hand.. I try to select a quadrant that I'll be happy with for a 2 putt par....

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

100 yds with a wedge in my hand? Depending on the pin, of course, id think anything outside of 15 feet as a big dissapointment.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

In the fairway, inside 120 or so, I expect to be on the green, and in a reasonable position (e.g., not back-left if the pin is front-right). I stopped going for the pin with full shots last summer, and my scores have come down. Unless I've got a half-wedge from a good lie or better, I'm just looking to be in a reasonable position on the green.

This is going to sound crazy but ANYTHING in the fairway and inside 110 i expect to make.

This is the attitude I wish I had. I expect to jar my chips, and I do so more than some of my friends who are better chippers but are just looking to get it close.

I bet you have become good at not meeting your expectations.

Well, there's meeting your expectations and what you expect. I expect to make most of my putts. I don't. But there's a world of difference between being confident that I'll make a 35-footer and being disappointed when I don't. You aren't doing yourself any favors by expecting to miss once you're over the ball.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Interesting. I like the idea of a quantitative measure of one's expectations.

the idea comes from an article I read in a golf magazine last year, and using percentages, i believe it holds true, because the closer you get, the small the "sucess target is"

If you think that when you have a 6% margin of error, a 4.25" cup gives you a makeable putt up until about 6', that means you should be sinking 6' and shorter putts every time. However, when you have a 30' putt, and you leave it within 2', that is the same 6%. This means being 30' away is an easy 2 putt. It helps to manage your misses, because if you can hit the ball within a 10% variance, it will help to determine your next shot. If I hit this shot a little fat, will I still make the fairway? If I go a little long of the green, what is the hazard that I will have to deal with. Also, when practicing, it helps to think back to all of the shots you had, and which ones were you outside of that 6% to 10% range, that is the area of your game you should focuse on practicing. Also, which area were you in the most often, that is your strong suit, so play to it.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

If I'm playing my home course where I know the greens I try to hit it inside 20 ft to the side of the hole the gives me the best putt.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Anything inside 100 yards my goal is to get down in three. Getting down in two is a bonus, getting down in four or more is a big disappointment.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

100 yards in, at this point, I shoot for a 1 putt. That maybe a bit steep for my level but I don't care. It's forcing me to THINK about where I want the ball to go and what kind of shot I want to play. It's not going to do me any good thinking "Oh, I'll play it to two putt" and then later on as I get more consistent and better change to "Oh, I'll play it to within 5 feet". I just don't see it that way.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

On the green. I play to the green at my course. If I hit the middle of any green at my local course that will put me w/in 25 feet. I usually get to the green but not as consistent as I want for hittin the center. Once my game improves I will go for the stick, but for now I just go for the middle of the green.
Driver: Spine Driver 9*
Driver: Launcher 10.5*
Fairway: Spine 3 & 5 Wood
Irons: Di5 1, 3 Irons
Irons: Di9 5, 7, 9, GW IronsSand Wedge: DFy SWLob Wedge: Sandy Andy 64*Putter: 8882Bag: Mickelson's Birdies for the Brave

I expect to get down in 3 strokes.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

100 and in......dont short side........worst thing to do is miss on the short side and not get u and down

Ping G15 9 degree
Ping G15 4 wood 17 degree
Ping S56
Ping Tour S 52,56,60
Nike Method 01Pro V

thanks for all the replies guys kepp it up :)

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

15 yards: if it's a simple chip I expect inside 3 feet, if it's a lob up to a small plateau I expect I need to find somewhere else to play

60 yards: down in 3, I've probably got a better chance running up a pw than lofting a sw if the path is clear

100 yards: it means I'm hitting a sw into the green so I expect I'll be slamming the sw into the turf

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

100yds, expectation is within 10-15ft from the flag..I'm not even thinking about putting at that point yet...

ogio.gif Black/White Ozone Stand bag, Caddytek 13.5 Black/Red Push Cart

taylormade.gif RBZ Tour 9* Stiff / ping.gifRapture 3 'metal' Titanium 14* Stiff Aldila Proto VS 'By You'
adams.gif Hybrid A2 20*3 hybrid Stiff Aldila VS / ping.gifRapture Black Dot 4-PW Stiff / cleveland.gifWedges CG11 54* SW / taylormade.gif RAC 52*, 58*Wedge / odyssey.gif  33" White Hot XG

Note: This thread is 5145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!