IGNORED

How do you keep your stamina for 18 holes?

Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll say this... if it's forecast for over 90 degrees outside the day of the tournament, I'm riding. Cooler weather, I don't have a problem, but when it gets hot, it can get well over 100 in the sun on the fairways and greens. Have a wet towel to throw around your neck between ball strikes. Keep a chest with some cool water in the cart. Drink plenty of fluids that keep your electrolytes in balance. Have some snack foods. Potassium? Pomegranate juice is very high if you need a shot of it. Grab a hot dog at the turn. I don't think there's a rule about setting it down on the teeing ground, teeing your ball, hitting your shot, and then picking up your hot dog. I can usually finish it before the 11th hole. Protein bars? No, and a squirrel usually will grab it.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since I play most of my golf in the desert southwest, keeping hydrated is a big concern during the hotter months. If I know I am playing on Wednesday, I start hydrating Tuesday morning, and continue hydrating on Wednesday, or even Thursday if I am playing two days in a row.  As for the rest of my stamina requirements during a round of golf, I just eat my normal meals, and take a snack with me. Physically, I walk/hike so much as it is, that even on the hottest days, I don't have any problems walking 18 holes. I might seek out a shady area more often, but that is to prevent internal over heating, and sun damage to my skin.  On the the hotter days, I don't drink much alcohol either. The same with sodas that contain caffeine.

During the cooler months, I just continue to walk/hike a few miles every day. My normal food/drink routine takes care of the rest of my golf stamina.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'll say this... if it's forecast for over 90 degrees outside the day of the tournament, I'm riding. Cooler weather, I don't have a problem, but when it gets hot, it can get well over 100 in the sun on the fairways and greens. Have a wet towel to throw around your neck between ball strikes. Keep a chest with some cool water in the cart. Drink plenty of fluids that keep your electrolytes in balance. Have some snack foods. Potassium? Pomegranate juice is very high if you need a shot of it. Grab a hot dog at the turn. I don't think there's a rule about setting it down on the teeing ground, teeing your ball, hitting your shot, and then picking up your hot dog. I can usually finish it before the 11th hole. Protein bars? No, and a squirrel usually will grab it.

Off topic, but this made me think of this. We have a course here that has roving bands of monster squirrels that beg for food. These critters are huge. They aren't jittery like most squirrels. They have a kind of lope in their stride. They rove in a "V" formation like attack fighters. No kidding. Aren't aggressive. Just hungry. Will climb right on the seat beside you and won't flinch. One used to come into the clubhouse and climb onto the bar to get fed peanuts. Then slowly turn around and lope on out. :-D

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

When I was younger and lived in Florida, I could sprint all day long either playing football or running full court basketball in July. But living up north has turned me into a giant #$^%@ when it comes to the heat - well, that and I'm old now.

Still, I can walk 27 holes on a summer day as long as I have plenty of fluids. I'll also bring a couple of cereal bars.

Usually it's just plain anger or stubbornness that motivates me to walk 27 and I'm pretty tired by the time I get to my car to leave. I've done it on days when I didn't bring enough to drink and it's not a pretty sight.

That looks like a fox squirrel. They are big bastards. I only remember the gray squirrels down there and how aggressive the would be at the parks. People love to feed wildlife, which is fine until you have raccoons come up to you looking for hand outs. Very unnerving.

Jon

Off topic, but this made me think of this. We have a course here that has roving bands of monster squirrels that beg for food. These critters are huge. They aren't jittery like most squirrels. They have a kind of lope in their stride. They rove in a "V" formation like attack fighters. No kidding. Aren't aggressive. Just hungry. Will climb right on the seat beside you and won't flinch. One used to come into the clubhouse and climb onto the bar to get fed peanuts. Then slowly turn around and lope on out.

I have never seen so many squirrels with nice shiny coats in my life that exist at this golf course. They don't show themselves on the 10th tee. They know I'll beat them with my driver, 3W or whatever I'm hitting on the tee, and they have nowhere to hide because the tee is out in the open. However once you get to the 11th green you're in trouble. There's trees and woods that start there and those bastards come out of the woodwork. We even have people who feed them. I need a pellet gun. One tried to grab my cigarettes, and I threw my ball at it. Another member of my foursome set her snack down to driver her cart, and one of these creatures hopped in, made the snatch and grab and leaped off before she could grab her trail mix. They've also been known to rip into peoples bags if they smell nuts. So no nuts on the course for me.

A "nutritious" hot dog at the turn for me with mustard and relish.

I think if someone brought their kid to the course they'd carry it off like a pack of dingos.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I think it's really important to look at your hydration level in addition to what you eat on the course.  I usually take two nature's valley granola bars (just my personal preference) and a banana.  I eat the first granola bar on the 6th hole, 2nd on the 12th hole and banana on 15.  I also know that I sweat profusely so I drink at least 60 ounces of water usually closer to 100.

That looks like a fox squirrel. They are big bastards. I only remember the gray squirrels down there and how aggressive the would be at the parks. People love to feed wildlife, which is fine until you have raccoons come up to you looking for hand outs. Very unnerving.

Raccoons don't bother me. I lived on a farm growing up. We had a pet raccoon. The mother was killed and we got one of the babies only a few days old. Great pet. Got huge. Right around 60 pounds. Most of the raccoons in the wild won't go much past 15 pounds or so.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Raccoons don't bother me. I lived on a farm growing up. We had a pet raccoon. The mother was killed and we got one of the babies only a few days old. Great pet. Got huge. Right around 60 pounds. Most of the raccoons in the wild won't go much past 15 pounds or so.

Was out at Ft. De Soto years ago and had three or four raccoons walk up to me in the parking lot while unloading the car. They got up on their hind legs looking for handouts. They may be comfortable with people but that doesn't mean they won't bite. Because they can be carriers of rabies means that if bit, you have to opt for treatment. No fun from what I understand.

I love wildlife. Growing up down there we'd catch snakes, turtles, small gators and make pets out of them. Up here we have all kind of critters I never saw in Pinellas County. Whitetail deer, black bears, coyotes, groundhogs, wild turkeys... I've had some close encounters while hunting and even playing golf. It's really cool when you can get to within a few feet of them, but I like to keep my distance. Not because I fear them, but because it's natural. Having said that, I broke down and fed a doe and two fawns last winter because the weather was so hard on them. Put out small piles of alfalfa and ended up with a herd in my yard every night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHk3i45gDgk&feature;=youtu.be

Jon

• 4 months later...

Gibby, I'm in pretty good shape at 76 and can play a good front nine but my game collapses on the back 9 due to tiredness and body ache.  I guess there's no cure for old age but we still want to carry on!

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

I usually drink a gatorade and eat a granola bar at the turn.

Are those Energy bar really helping your stamina up ?

I think small nourishment (not necessarily energy bar) during a round can help stave off exhaustion, tiredness, dehydration which can impact your play down the stretch.   When I forget to eat/drink enough during a round, I pay for it toward the end of a round.   4+ hours in the sun playing can take its toll on the body, especially, for older bodies.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Gibby, I'm in pretty good shape at 76 and can play a good front nine but my game collapses on the back 9 due to tiredness and body ache.  I guess there's no cure for old age but we still want to carry on!

Welcome to TST.

I know a lot of seniors who bring sandwiches with them and they nibble on them throughout the round while sipping on water. Seems to work for them.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hi! I carry around a 5 Hour Energy that I drink part of around the turn

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!