IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, for me it's feeling like I am hitting a A2 position 7 iron shot. Though, it makes me wonder if I am over swinging that shot (taking it to A3-ish). 

The biggest thing will be if I can get use to the shorter swing that it allows me to manipulate the club position in the swing. When I was hitting drivers the swing felt way too compact to do it. I am really use to the overswinging giving me time to implement feels that allow me to manipulate the club position. 

I agree totally and have that issue as well. I have always had problems hitting a half wedge shot, for example. I feel like I do not have time to get into the correct positions to get the club face where it needs to be. If I slow it down, I can "feel" what the club is doing much better, but mentally, I just think there is no way I have the time.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Yea. I just go aggravated with the swing not being able to shorten up. I decided to just chip one out there and video tape the swing. I think it was just me saying, "Ok lets look at the other extreme". Then the swing was like A3.5-ish in swing length. So, I just focused on that feel for the next few to see what I can do with it. I think over time I was adjusting to the timing a bit more. 

Great example of feel ain't real. I have similar experiences. I try a feel that seems really weird and film it. Looks nearly the same. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

So, going forward here is the short list of priority stuff. 

1. Keep working on the shorter swing feel to get more accustomed to it. 
2. Keep working on getting the club more laid off at the top of the swing. Try to figure out how to make it work with the shorter swing feel. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

So, going forward here is the short list of priority stuff. 

1. Keep working on the shorter swing feel to get more accustomed to it. 
2. Keep working on getting the club more laid off at the top of the swing. Try to figure out how to make it work with the shorter swing feel. 

Something that seems to work for me for both points is to stop rehearsing the backswing to A4. I actually rehearse the swing all the way to A5 now and practice transition as a dynamic movement. Basically I bring the club back, up, and lay it down while doing my downswing lower body movements in one continuous motion.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Something that seems to work for me for both points is to stop rehearsing the backswing to A4. I actually rehearse the swing all the way to A5 now and practice transition as a dynamic movement. Basically I bring the club back, up, and lay it down while doing my downswing lower body movements in one continuous motion.

Interesting idea. I may play around with that next time. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Another driving range session. 

Just worked on keeping the swing shorter and flattened off more in this video.

This swing I added the arms coming down sooner in the swing. I was seeing if that helped shorten the swing. 
*On a side note, I am standing a bit too close to the ball. 

Tried working on the driver, but couldn't replicate the shorter swing feel when trying to work on the flatter feel. I feel like the timing is off and I need the extra swing length to feel the club shallower. I like the practice backswings. 

This swing I added a bit of trying to keep my back foot on the ground longer. Just kinda wanted to see if it would help me feel like I had more room to swing down with the hands. Just took a flier at this feel. 

The feels for most of these swings were let the turn carry the club up to A3 with some left wrist hinge. Maybe feel like the left hand stays facing the ground a bit from A1 to A2. Then at A3, feel like I start the downswing by bringing the hands down and out towards the ball. 

I think I need to be mindful of my alignment (distance from the ball). 

If I could stop by backswing here.. 
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.13.08 PM.png

I really like this spot at impact...
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.13.48 PM.png

I really like this position with the 6 iron... If it was just a smidge flatter. 
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.16.13 PM.png

This impact position is pretty good.. It's the most my hips and shoulders have been open at impact. 
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.16.36 PM.png

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Good. Keep at it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Played 9 holes this afternoon. Played pretty well. It has been a while since I played, so I had to look. up my swing feels. Once I got those going the swing was pretty good. The swing feels are, keep the swing shorter with better flow by starting the hands down sooner. Also, try to keep the body stable in the downswing, I was tipping back a bit. I didn't have much in terms of laying off the club at the top of the swing. I felt like I was hitting the ball well enough with out it. I'll keep working on that at the range and at home. The contact was really good. 

Driver - Slight straight to pull cuts
Irons - Varies between slight pushes or straight cuts
Wedges - I tend to pull these left or push them right. I tend to swing easier with my wedges, so I think I loose the hands down sooner feel and the club gets stuck. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some feels from playing 9 holes today. 

struggled with not getting the hands down soon with the driver. I had a mix of really good drives, snap hook and a big push cut.

my iron low point is struggling. I feel like I’m struggling with a slight flip at impact. When hit the ball well the right hand stays facing down and out at the ball more in the downswing. I can feel my left knee staying bent too long.

pitching is a mixed bag. Just struggling with consistent technique. I’m a bit too flippy at impact. I’m hitting some pull slightly thin pitches. 

I like the feel of the right hand staying face at the ball longer. I need to couple that with extending my left side sooner. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some updated swing stuff...

current swing

Trying to feel a flatter position at A4

Trying out hands going up more, left arm out more. The downswing feel is left arm straight down. 

Some pitching videos. This was for a 50-60 yard shot.

This face on view where I was trying to stay back more. Trying to stop my upper center from falling towards the target at A4 to A5.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Really struggled with the swing. The driver went to hooks or block right. The irons were back to hitting toe shots with my right side dipping down. 

On the back nine I decided to do the preset impact drill. Weight forward and hit some punch shots for contact. This helped out a bit. Driver was still block cuts or toe hooks. Short game and putting was really good. 

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/xNEGTsulr8

I need to figure something out with this backswing. The over turn, club head across the line is just not sustainable. I just can’t feel like I can get my hands down soon enough. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range after playing 18 to try to work on stuff. 

Current swing - club head goes too far inside and across the line. 

Here I am trying to figure out what flatter feels like for me. How do I get from A2 to a flatter position at A4

What I ended up with is that I need to shorten the swing. When it shortens the club looks more stable at A3-A4. The issue I have with trying to figure out a flatter feel is that it makes me want to cheat at A2-A3 which flips the club inside more. The club head will do weird movements at A3-A4

Here is a face on view of the shorter swing.

Here is a DTL view of practicing the shorter swing feel. It feels like the backswing is quicker and shorter. 

Here is a DTL of me just using the shorter swing feel.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Went to the range after playing 18 to try to work on stuff. 

OK, I see a real problem here.  After playing 18 is beer time  :beer:

And I hope you know I'm kidding mostly, I admire your dedication.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

16 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

OK, I see a real problem here.  After playing 18 is beer time  :beer:

And I hope you know I'm kidding mostly, I admire your dedication.

Enjoying the beer now 😉

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

The shorter ones are better.

It's going to take real dedication and work to feel these shorter swings working, as you know.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

The shorter ones are better.

It's going to take real dedication and work to feel these shorter swings working, as you know.

Yep, it will be a battle. 

As of right now the feeling is the right elbow bends sooner while I make the body turn. The swing feels overall, quicker. Like I spend up the backswing a bit. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some range work today. Trying to keep the swing shorter, and also work on flattening the swing. 

This swing I added in a bit of sway right feel, plus add in some left side extension feel in the downswing. 

I still want to know what causes this movement form A2 to A4. I can get the club into a good position at A2, but the A2 to A4 alludes me. There are many times when I look at the video of practice swings that stop at A3.5-ish and look good, but to A4 the club head wants to go across the line. Is it the right movement and angles in the right arm? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

We'll talk Saturday, but I'm not sure about the "flattening" feel.