IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

saevel125.....isn't there an awful lot of swing thoughts in that post (must be 10-15).I appreciate your golfing capabilities but  that is overwhelming to read let alone negotiate I imagine.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

saevel125.....isn't there an awful lot of swing thoughts in that post (must be 10-15).I appreciate your golfing capabilities but  that is overwhelming to read let alone negotiate I imagine.

Once again you are incapable of basic reading comprehension.  There are 2 main thoughts/feels he is thinking about, a pause and a rev(go) move.  Not so difficult.  The rest is a description of what is he feels and notices is happening.   I would encourage the use of your cognitive faculties before posting this stuff on swing threads.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry Cipher, I don't really read it that way.If this was an explanation from an instructor to student,the students head would be spinning.Frankly even 2 swing thoughts is too much according to Nicklaus.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Sorry Cipher, I don't really read it that way.If this was an explanation from an instructor to student,the students head would be spinning.Frankly even 2 swing thoughts is too much according to Nicklaus.

OK there you go then.   Sorry for sounding harsh.  I can follow you now.  I disagree a bit because two swing thoughts/feels that are happening independently of one another I think can happen.  Especially if they are not happening at the same time and you have conditioned your feels through practicing them independently.    Also Matt is a well studied student of the game and is capable of describing movements and cause/effect in his swing in the manner that has little to do with the hypothetical scenario of an instructor talking over a student's head.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

It would be hard for a student, but a good instructor wouldn't bombard someone like that. Yet, I will say this. When did I ever say I was writing this for the benefit of a student, and as me as the instructor? Why did you come in here with the assumption this thread was for students and not for me alone? I do think the "My Swing" before my name tab gives away what this thread is about.

Not really. When a person is changing their swing, especially something as dramtic as going from lets say 3-4 degrees over the top to 3-4 degrees inside to out, dramatic things must be done. To figure these things out, exaggeration in movements must be made to promote and develop a feel.

For me I am a right handed person. I don't feel my left side doing much, never have. The motion to drop the club from the inside is primarily a left hand movement. The reason being is that the right hand is already in some form of extension at the top of the swing. From there is needs to gain a bit more extension as the left wrist gains flex ("Rev"). Its hard to feel that movement in the downswing, at least for me, with my right hand. Since I have issue with my left side feeling much in the swing, this move is tough for me. So I have to do trial and error, and really exaggerate feels to get something to work. Pretty much that is for me only. I wasn't writing instruction for everyone, just for me to remember. Yet I am sure someone might get something out of it as well if they want. I guess I could put a disclaimer before every post

"This post is about my swing only, implement at your own risk"

There, that could work :-D

As for number of swing thoughts. In developing a swing change it doesn't matter. In executing the swing on the golf course, it does. So I have to work it down to something playable. I am able to differentiate between practice in play.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It would be hard for a student, but a good instructor wouldn't bombard someone like that. Yet, I will say this. When did I ever say I was writing this for the benefit of a student, and as me as the instructor? Why did you come in here with the assumption this thread was for students and not for me alone? I do think the "My Swing" before my name tab gives away what this thread is about.

Not really. When a person is changing their swing, especially something as dramtic as going from lets say 3-4 degrees over the top to 3-4 degrees inside to out, dramatic things must be done. To figure these things out, exaggeration in movements must be made to promote and develop a feel.

For me I am a right handed person. I don't feel my left side doing much, never have. The motion to drop the club from the inside is primarily a left hand movement. The reason being is that the right hand is already in some form of extension at the top of the swing. From there is needs to gain a bit more extension as the left wrist gains flex ("Rev"). Its hard to feel that movement in the downswing, at least for me, with my right hand. Since I have issue with my left side feeling much in the swing, this move is tough for me. So I have to do trial and error, and really exaggerate feels to get something to work. Pretty much that is for me only. I wasn't writing instruction for everyone, just for me to remember. Yet I am sure someone might get something out of it as well if they want. I guess I could put a disclaimer before every post

"This post is about my swing only, implement at your own risk"

There, that could work

As for number of swing thoughts. In developing a swing change it doesn't matter. In executing the swing on the golf course, it does. So I have to work it down to something playable. I am able to differentiate between practice in play.

Yeah, I think for a lot of us our swing thread is not just a place to get advice but also a place to keep our notes and a library of what our swing looked like at different points during its evolution. I know I do that all the time. If I have a particularly good practice session that has produced the results and changes I'm looking for I like to post a video of that swing along with notes on the feels and thoughts I used. It's a great reference tool for future slumps.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

New Video

Current Swing, still to flat in the backswing. But I am able to keep the club inside with out rerouting it. Though I think this is the cause of my hooks at the golf simulator at golf smith. I get to inside because I am already flat in the backswing. Must change the image.

Working on getting the clubhead less inside my hands. Remembered the video @mvmac did on Kutchar and how he preloads his wrist before taking a swing. Did that in the video below with some good results. Though I forgot to keep my head down, ooops :whistle:

I think I nailed it in the next video. Head down this time, like how the club stays on the swing path.

Camera ran out of video, slow motion is a battery killer. Charging, hopefully I'll get a face on video up soon.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I like your ball flight...

So do I, I can really see it in my head, perfect shots. :dance:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Looking at your swing makes me hate my swing. :no:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Looking at your swing makes me hate my swing.

No hating swings here. Just mildly disliking O:)

Keep up the good work with yours. March 15th will be a game changer for you.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

No hating swings here. Just mildly disliking

Keep up the good work with yours. March 15th will be a game changer for you.

Just booked my hotel this morning. :banana:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Just booked my hotel this morning.

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!

Couldn't help it. I think of Family Guy every time I see that Banana :banana:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Ok a little NOTE to ME here!!!

When working on swing, specifically feels that relate to the hands. Spend time working on swings at 3/4th feel to them. Finding that if I take a full swing with new movements, the swing gets WAY TO LONG. 3/4th swings lets me stay centered over the ball a lot better.

That being said, 3/4 swings are not 3/4 :p, they are probably full length. Just trying to clean up the overswinging issue. Gets me really steep and flippy at the ball when I overswing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

bend your knees? posture is a little rigid dont you think?

Not really. My knees are over the middle of my foot, and my butt is about 4-5" away from my heels, in the first video. This is pretty good. The last video is a bit too straight leg to start out with. That was just trying to work on backswing. I wasn't really worrying about posture there.

Left is Rory, Right is me. I maybe could get my head a bit more down, but I think its decent.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Matt…

I know you know this. It's basically what you said in your post. But here it is again just because hearing it slightly differently (or again) may help.

And to be fair… I did use the last video that you said was "nailed." :) (Not quite… :D)

DEPTH ALERT! NEED MORE "UP" with the right elbow moving off your chest and, to use a phrase PGA Tour players will use a lot, "staying in front of your chest."

Note that the two lines on the right arm aren't 3D but they highlight how much less his elbow has rotated around his body and how it's strayed a bit from his rib cage. Or to put it another way…

Relative to the camera, your upper arm is pointing to the camera's left, while Tiger's upper arm is pointing more at the camera. The only real trick in this is that you have to do this but still keep up your rotation - you can't just pick your arm up and point it at the camera with less rotation.

Try this: swing back doing nothing at all with your arms. Just pivot to 90°. The hands will gain PLENTY of depth. From there, bend your right elbow (and let it move off your rib cage a little), cock/hinge your wrists, and blammo, A4.

This depth is extreme and is going to cause problems when you're able to hit golf balls again.

One more picture to help:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

New Video

Current Swing, still to flat in the backswing. But I am able to keep the club inside with out rerouting it. Though I think this is the cause of my hooks at the golf simulator at golf smith. I get to inside because I am already flat in the backswing. Must change the image.

Working on getting the clubhead less inside my hands. Remembered the video @mvmac did on Kutchar and how he preloads his wrist before taking a swing. Did that in the video below with some good results. Though I forgot to keep my head down, ooops

I think I nailed it in the next video. Head down this time, like how the club stays on the swing path.

Camera ran out of video, slow motion is a battery killer. Charging, hopefully I'll get a face on video up soon.

I like the dedication ... it's obvious how much furniture had to be moved out of the way so you could make these swings. :beer: Well done.