IGNORED

"you wont make it with a 4 iron."

kevinbomb123
Note: This thread is 5096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bottom line is - Driver (and occasionally FW or hybrids)= how far, EVERYTHING ELSE=HOW CLOSE

I hit the ball pretty deep, 280-plus with consistency. What do I pull from 150 yards? Usually, and 8. Can I hit a 9 iron or in ideal wind conditions a wedge that far...sure. But why? I'd rather hit an 80-85% shot that I know I'm going to hit (fairly) consistently on the center of the clubface, make the ball-turf contact I want, and have a reliable shot shape. Once you get into making a really full shot, I think it's harder to do all of that unless you play on TV for money. And - there are a LOT of those guys who club up pretty often.

If I want to show how big my nuts are...I can crank a driver over 300 yards, 50 yards by whoever's in my group. What club you pull on a par 3 doesn't really reflect that IMO.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a better question is, who hasn 't played with someone like this?

The ones that really get me are those who tell you how much a putt breaks, where to aim etc...

Leave me alooooone!!!

Cheers,
DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

I like the 20 handicappers that offer me golf tips.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

I like the 20 handicappers that offer me golf tips.

yeah... and don't stop talking about how far they hit the ball or they have custom this and custom that (shakes head)

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

When I'm golfing with people it seems they always ask me from time to time what I'm using mostly on a par 3's. I'll usually just say you should probably have a better idea than me. It's kinda odd how people do base their club selection on other peoples thoughts. I hope everyone knows there own golf swing better than their playing partner knows it.
Currently In My Bag: Driver- Taylor Made 300 Ti 9.5 Degree Stiff Flex; Woods - None Currently In The Bag; Irons - Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) Stiff Flex Steel; Wedge - Macgregor VIP Tourney Foil 60 Degree Lob Wedge; Putter - Taylor Made Rossa CGB Daytona 1 34" Length

Uptight much? Just ignore them and hit your shot, or tell them you know how far you hit your clubs. Just don't look like a fool and leave one way short or fly the green.

When I'm golfing with people it seems they always ask me from time to time what I'm using mostly on a par 3's. I'll usually just say you should probably have a better idea than me. It's kinda odd how people do base their club selection on other peoples thoughts. I hope everyone knows there own golf swing better than their playing partner knows it.

I must admit, I have done this before on courses I've never played. The reason is sometimes on a par 3 it can be tough to get a yardage for me. If I know I'm consistently a club or two longer or shorter than someone, this can help. I'm more comfortable doing this with someone I know and golf with often than with a stranger, though.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

• Administrator
I hit 7-iron on a 149-yard par three. The next hole I hit a 4-iron 240 yards. And then three holes after that I hit a 6-iron 197 yards.

I don't ask anyone else what they hit unless I know them well and I see them play an obvious unusual shot of some kind.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit 7-iron on a 149-yard par three. The next hole I hit a 4-iron 240 yards. And then three holes after that I hit a 6-iron 197 yards.

Plus, it's against the rules to ask someone what they hit. Either way, it's totally irrelevant. I've hit 6 irons 210 yards, and I've hit them 150 yards. What makes one good at golf is knowing what shot they can hit, and hitting it. Just being able to hit it doesn't make you a good golfer. I know a guy who has a near perfect swing. He's every bit as good of a ballstriker as many tour pros, yet he never really goes below scratch. I know a guy who has a swing that looks just dreadful, but he's well better than scratch.

The real difference between them is that one can do what he needs to when he needs to, and avoids big numbers when he doesn't. That's what makes you good. Tiger could miss every fairway and still break par at the local muni. It's the ability to hit what you need to, when you need to, and recover when you don't that really makes you a golfer.

I never ask people what they are hitting, there is no need. Sometimes in high school matches I would ask my playing partner if they were thinking of hitting more club than normal, because of wind, slope, pin placement, etc... but otherwise there is no real reason. If I have pulled a club I have done it because I think it is the best club, and asking someone else might make me doubt my first instinct, which is usually the correct one.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just remembered a pretty good story from Gay Brewer that fits this thread pretty well. Brewer was a hot shot junior player in Texas when Hogan was still on tour. It might have been an exhibition or something, but for some reason, he was caddying for Hogan, possibly at his own course. At a par 5, Hogan asked him how far it was to the green for his second shot. Brewer was pretty long on tour and probably was already thumping it at that point, so he answered, "All you got, Mr. Hogan." Hogan answered, "You don't know how much I got, son," pulled out a 2 iron and hit it on the green.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt

I tell my good friend what club to hit and what shot to hit a lot. But the thing is is that HE ASKS ME. I have seen a lot of people who try to tell others how to hit it which is ok if the person asks you but when they don't I agree its' just annoying. When I first starting playing with him when he was in the bunker and would try to pick it every time instead of hitting through the sand. This would result in him sculling every shot. I was tired of him struggling and not having fun in the bunker so I told him what to do without asking, now he gets up and down a lot out of the bunker and that's when he started asking me about other shots.

Bottom line is - Driver (and occasionally FW or hybrids)= how far, EVERYTHING ELSE=HOW CLOSE

I agree and a lot of times distance is relative. I play with people all the time that can drive the same as me or longer and I can hit the same iron or less in a lot of cases then them. It's just what you are comfortable with.

I agree and a lot of times distance is relative. I play with people all the time that can drive the same as me or longer and I can hit the same iron or less in a lot of cases then them. It's just what you are comfortable with.

It's just the opposite with me. I've generally kept up or outdriven all but the really big hitters I've played with over the years, and I've spent most of my time on the course with low handicappers. I've only played with a handful of guys my size that hit it further off the tee -- even now, and I'll be 67 next month. Generally, somebody needs to be at least 5'11 to get it by me, but that doesn't mean much with the irons. I don't hit my irons nearly as far as a person who is 6 feet tall that I can outdrive. My tee shot swing doesn't really function off the fairway. Chi Chi Rodriguez used to really hack Arnold Palmer off when he would sometimes knock it by him and usually wasn't too far behind. Arnie hit his irons a LOT further than Chi Chi could, though. Chi Chi's 15 lever swing with the driver didn't translate well without the ball 6 inches off the ground.

It's just the opposite with me. I've generally kept up or outdriven all but the really big hitters I've played with over the years, and I've spent most of my time on the course with low handicappers. I've only played with a handful of guys my size that hit it further off the tee -- even now, and I'll be 67 next month. Generally, somebody needs to be at least 5'11 to get it by me, but that doesn't mean much with the irons. I don't hit my irons nearly as far as a person who is 6 feet tall that I can outdrive. My tee shot swing doesn't really function off the fairway. Chi Chi Rodriguez used to really hack Arnold Palmer off when he would sometimes knock it by him and usually wasn't too far behind. Arnie hit his irons a LOT further than Chi Chi could, though. Chi Chi's 15 lever swing with the driver didn't translate well without the ball 6 inches off the ground.

I'm 5'6" and about 170 so driving distance for me may not be as long as some people taller. I am usually around 260 carry, but I use my strength as an advantage in my irons. People are usaully surprised by how far I hit my irons, not that it matters how far I hit it, but since I am short they are surprised.

I'm 5'6" and about 170 so driving distance for me may not be as long as some people taller. I am usually around 260 carry, but I use my strength as an advantage in my irons. People are usaully surprised by how far I hit my irons, not that it matters how far I hit it, but since I am short they are surprised.

I'll bite. So, how far do you hit your irons?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

ok so this guy told me that i wouldnt make it to the green which was 200 yards away with a 4 iron. He had a rangefinder and said "you wont make it" ok so that got me boiling so i hit my shot and what happens lands right on the green. He said nothing after that. This was the type of guy that tells people how to hit shots when they cant. anyone ever play with one of these guys.

This was a failed opportunity by you to take some of his money!

Note: This thread is 5096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!