IGNORED

Leupold vs Bushnell - Hunting Rangefinders

Note: This thread is 5158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

looking at the Leupold RX 600 vs the Bushnell Sport 600

tried the Bushnell out today and it was AWSESOME!
picked up the light stringer (about same size as a flag stick) from 100 yds no problemo - and quick too!

yes i know for hunting, but 1/2 the price of a "golf" one
really dont care about the options, w arc or slope etc..

just wanna point and shoot the rig at the flag stick etc..

can get the Bushnell for $165 on the bay or the Leupold for about $190, also on the bay
both brand new and shipped to me

from your experiences w these two brands in GENERAL (Bushnell vs Leupold - not the models exactly) which would you reccomend?

thanks for your help

enis
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

looking at the Leupold RX 600 vs the Bushnell Sport 600

All I can say is they both look solid. I like my Tour V2 (Bushnell) but it's a b**** when the flags are non-reflective and the pinseeker feature doesn't kick in.

Have you looked at Nikons?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Leupold?

I would never buy optics from them.

Bushnell make far better products for better prices.

VX Series in rifle scopes are especially bad.

I use bushnell for all my hunting scopes etc and stand by them.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I have to agree about if the pins don't have reflectors on them. I just don't have steady enough hands to not have some type of pinseeker. I'm guessing from 130 to 150 in it won't be a big deal but outside 150 I think it would be a struggle to hit the pin. Good luck
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I don't know about the hunting models, but I was fortunate enough to win one of the Leupolds given away on this board last year and love it. I never have problems shooting the flag.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Leupold?

Without trying to start something here, I would disagree about the Leupold statement. I have Leupold optics on all of my hunting rifles and would not switch to anything else for the price. I have both Bushnell and Leupold rangefinders. The Bushnell is a little older model and a little bulkier than my Leupold. I use the Bushnell for my golf and it works fine. I like the Leupold for hunting because of its size and some other options that would not do me any good on the course.

Just my .02.

Driver Hyper X 9*
3 Wood Tight Lies
Hybrids Hyper X 3 & 4
Irons 5 - 9, PW Mizuno JPX 800
Wedge 50, 54, 60 Vokey Spin Milled Putter Ping Anser Ball e7+

All I can say is they both look solid. I like my Tour V2 (Bushnell) but it's a b**** when the flags are non-reflective and the pinseeker feature doesn't kick in.

yes, very pricey

I have to agree about if the pins don't have reflectors on them. I just don't have steady enough hands to not have some type of pinseeker. I'm guessing from 130 to 150 in it won't be a big deal but outside 150 I think it would be a struggle to hit the pin. Good luck

reflectors on the pins....like actual reflectors? these help w laser finders?

outside 150 yds you figure trying to shoot the flag or pin will be tough w/out pinseeker?

yes, very pricey

London Drugs had Nikons for a similar price as Golf Town has for the Bushnell Tour V2. It was just a thought. Some courses have special reflectors on top of the flagstick - get the flag in the circle and yardage to the pin is a snap. Without those, you might have to shoot the front of the green, a bunker, or the mounds in the back and estimate. Or you could just pace the yardage old school. Personally, even if the course doesn't have have flagsticks that aid the pinseeker feature, knowing what club will reach the green and/or carry hazards is still really valuable.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I was bored one day a few months ago so I went and walked around Bass Pro Shops. I eventually made my way around to the hunting optics and tried out all of the rangefinders since the guy wasn't very busy. I must have tried 10 or 12 different models of various brands. I picked out a few targets across the store and was within a yard or two on all of them. The main difference I could find in something that was $250 and something that was $1000 was the range, finer tuned crosshairs, and functions within the device. For the most part, the basic function of shooting a target and getting a yardage was pretty similar.

If you know you like the Bushnell then that would probably be the better choice. It would eliminate any second guessing on your part. I doubt you would find much of a difference in the lower end models so you may just want to save a few bucks and get what you know you have tried.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Leupold?

I would strongly disagree with your comment. I have both Bushnell and Leopold hunting scopes on my rifles. I dont really want to get into the whole issue but, I would go with Leupold. As far as range finders are concerned there are some really nice Bushnell models out there.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

I find this to be a surprising comment.

I've never had a problem picking up a flag from up to 250 yards or more with my Tour V2. I've only played a couple of courses which have the reflectors (a nice plus by the way)... most do not, and I still find shooting the flag to be quick and easy. I've never known the Pinseeker to not work except when I deliberately turn it off.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Leupold?

I have to agree w/the dissent here. I own a custom firearms business and we go with quite a few of the higher end Leupold stuff from time to time but have NEVER used a Bushnell. For the small additional cost, the quality from the Leupold is leaps and bounds better than the Bushnell. FWIW, I have a Leupold range finder.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

one thing i am concerned about, it if it doesnt work, i dont want to have to sell it again
if i buy local, pay a few more bux, i can return it......i wonder how it will work from 150 yds + out, w no pinseeker or bullseye??

I find this to be a surprising comment.

It's only happened on one course - I don't know what their flags were made of - maybe the same stuff they coated the stealth bombers with because it didn't pick up a thing all day. I used it today on another course without the reflectors and there was only one green where it picked up trees in the background - it was a 20 yard difference (80 versus 60) so I should have noticed. I got lucky with the lie - par - I digress.

one thing i am concerned about, it if it doesnt work, i dont want to have to sell it again

The Tour V2 is simple, reliable, and accurate up to 1 km (I think). It's idiot proof - being an idiot, I should know.

I have owned the Leupold GX-1 for just over 1 year. Love it!! No problem firing at pins, the Pinhunter feature really works. I do use both hands to steady myself. My club installed the mirrors on the flag sticks a few months after I bought my Leupold, it didn't make any difference to my ability to get a reading. Limp flag or not, it makes no difference. Battery still shows full bars after 15 months of regular use. My only complaint is that the unit fits very tightly in its case. During a round, I don't bother with the case, simply put it in the lined valuables pocket of my golf bag.

Driver & FW: Ping G10 12* Driver & 17* 4W w UST Proforce V2 HL Reg
Hybrids: Adams A7 19* & 22* w UST Mamiya ProForce AXIVCore Reg
Irons: MP-60 5 - 9 w Nippon Shaft 950GH Reg
Wedges: Eidolon 48* 52* 56* 60* w SCoR Graphite Reg
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X3

Second to Dave1269's comment. I've the the GX-1 for a month and don't have issues at all other than the tight case. I usually hold the button down and get the front of the green, then the flag. Optics are nice and clear. For the hunting version, I would worry about the range. The GX-1 is good for a 350+ yards without prisms. If the hunting version is less, you may have issues on long shots in.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

ok, so the Leupold has 6x magnification vs 4x (bushnell sport 600)
it has scan mode, vs none (busnnell)
it will laser up to 400 (deer) and 600 reflective vs 200 (deer) 800 reflective (bushnell)

it is a few bucks more, but i like the scan mode on the Leupold vs none on the Bushnell and better magnification

outside 200yds im not too concerned
more inside 200 and par 3's

any more thoughts before i pull the trigger???

Price is $205 shipped BRAND NEW from the bay
I also am considering a BRAND NEW V2 from a dude on WRX, but after shipping and conversion, its almost $280....more than I want to spend i think

so.......whats ur idea?

ok, so the Leupold has 6x magnification vs 4x (bushnell sport 600)

spent the few extra bux and bought the Bushnell V2 for $240 USD shipped

figured spend a little more and buy once cant wait to try er out!

Note: This thread is 5158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!