IGNORED

Lob Wedges 60*, 62* or 64*???

Note: This thread is 5089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What about Bounce? I have a 56-11 I use for sand and any 80 yard or less pitch shots from decent lies. But if it is a tight lie or firm ground from 60 yds in, I would like to have something with less bounce, say a 58 or 60 deg with 4 deg bounce.

Thoughts?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's a rule of thumb, and I call it the 45° rule. A club with 45° of loft at impact is the easiest to hit. That's because equal power goes into both hitting it in the air, and hitting it forward.

A 1 iron has about 15° of loft, so you have just 1/6th of the energy going to get the ball off the ground. It's the basic inclined plane theory at work. The farther from 45° you go, the harder the club is to hit. The 48° pitching wedge has around 45° of loft at impact. Anything with less loft will be harder to hit, and anything with more loft will be harder to hit.

The reason a club with more than 45° is harder to hit, is that less force is being applied to move it forward, and the point of impact is lower on the clubface. So, you'll find your sand and lob wedges are a bit harder to hit than your pitching wedge. For the same reason, a 64° wedge is harder to hit than a 60° wedge.

What about Bounce? I have a 56-11 I use for sand and any 80 yard or less pitch shots from decent lies. But if it is a tight lie or firm ground from 60 yds in, I would like to have something with less bounce, say a 58 or 60 deg with 4 deg bounce.

don't do down to 4*

Stay around 6 or more.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Thanks James_Black.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm in the apparently small faction which has made the decision to stop at 56°. I find that I can do just about anything I need to do with that club, ....

That's where I'm at now, and where I will be for the rest of this season. I'm trying to get my ranges set on PW, GW and SW for 7-Oclock and 9-Oclock shots, and see what distances are uncovered, see if there's a pattern of shots situations I can' handle with current mix.

A couple of very good players have cautioned me that three wedges are a lot easier to manage than four wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I use a 64 bent back to 62 as mine and thinking of bending it back to 64 and adding a 60 (5 wedge set up).

I hit my 62 better than any club and cannot see why some consider them hard to hit. The club is tougher to chip with but on pitch and full shots it is money.

For me I need a higher lofted club because like using a fuller swing around the greens.

In my personal opinion, I love a 64* wedge. I find it easier to hit a 64* than open up a 60* I also don't think it's hard to hit but that's just me. To each his own!
Bag:
Driver: '09 Burner 9.5*
3 wood: SQ2
Hybrid 3: SQ2
Irons 4 - AW: r7SW: Vokey SM 56FW: 64Putter: fastbackBalls: NXT Tour

I use a 64 bent back to 62 as mine and thinking of bending it back to 64 and adding a 60 (5 wedge set up).

What bounce was on the 64* before you bent it?

You lost 2* bending it, do you not chunk chips the whole time?
In my personal opinion, I love a 64* wedge. I find it easier to hit a 64* than open up a 60* I also don't think it's hard to hit but that's just me. To each his own!

Why do you need to open the 60*?

That's probably costing you a load of shots on the course, flops are inconsistent shots

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I used to have a 60 but i find that 58 is enough loft. I wanted 2 wedges other than my pw, and 51 and 58 work well for me. I am able to put in a full swing with my 58 (it was a little harder with the 60), but rarely do that. In the UK, the greens are not able to react to spin as much as in America, so my golf from 50 yards and in is mostly played with a pitch and run with at least 1 bounce before the green.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

i have a 47 pw, 54 sand, and a 60 lob, and it works great.
What's in my Bag:
Driver-TaylorMade 09 burner 10.5* | 3 wood-TaylorMade 09 burner | 3 hybrid-TaylorMade Rescue 09 | 4-GW-Titliest AP1 710s | 54.08 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | 60.04 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | Putter-Odyssey white hot #7 | Ball - whatever i find

I carry a 60 not for the distance, cause i can only hit it about 65 yards, (and i am probably going to get blasted for this) but I chip with mine, if I am just off the green, i feel more comfortable with my 60 in my hands than my putter

Titleist 913 D2 8.5
Titleist 913 3 wood 13.5

Titleist 910 17* hybrid
Titleist 714 AP2's   3-GW

Titleist Vokey 54& 58 
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar  Pro V1

GO GATORS!!!!

I carry a 60 not for the distance, cause i can only hit it about 65 yards, (and i am probably going to get blasted for this) but I chip with mine, if I am just off the green, i feel more comfortable with my 60 in my hands than my putter

I have a friend about 16 years old, and he's the same way. Back before he had any nice clubs, I would give him my 60° Cleveland, and he'd knock it still from anywhere within 60 yards. He got himself a CG-14, and he uses it from everywhere, and he has the best short game of anyone I know. He's truly amazing, he wins a lot of high school matches.

I'm the same way. I feel like I can put the ball exactly where I want every time with the 60.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 5089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!