IGNORED

Short Game Practice

ks8829
Note: This thread is 1531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On the fringe in regulation. Stub the first chip, skull the second, three putts.

thats why more people should play their putter instead of a wedge when on the fringe! At WORST you're gonna come up short but I guarantee you'll save at least one stroke. More times than not, you'll save 2 and once you get used to it, you'll probably be making pars.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Personally, unless it's a really immaculate fringe or a very short-sided flagstick, I'm usually better with a chip than the putter. I have trouble gauging long putts in general, and the fringe doesn't help. For some people I'm sure the putter is a safer option, but I can usually gauge the distance much better this way.

As for short game practice, I find that if I am not routinely practicing my chipping, it fades REALLY fast. So I really have to spend about 1/3 or more of my time at it just to keep it in shape. Full swings are a lot more mechanical, so if I don't get to the range for full swings for a couple weeks, there's not much harm done. But the feel to judge a 25 yard pitch and not launch it 10 or 40 yards is something that I have to constantly tune. To me, this is why the short game practice is so important. I'm clearly at a point in my game where I need to improve my full swings more, but I don't want to let my short game slip in the process.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

thats why more people should play their putter instead of a wedge when on the fringe! At WORST you're gonna come up short but I guarantee you'll save at least one stroke. More times than not, you'll save 2 and once you get used to it, you'll probably be making pars.

I often use a 26 degree hybrid to putt these shots. Takes a little practice but for chips near the green that are not buried in the grass it works great. Take a putting grip and stroke and seem to get the ball up and rolling quickly. I was never very good at using a putter off the fringe (can't judge how hard to hit it) but the hybrid putt works for me.

Butch

I often use a 26 degree hybrid to putt these shots. Takes a little practice but for chips near the green that are not buried in the grass it works great. Take a putting grip and stroke and seem to get the ball up and rolling quickly. I was never very good at using a putter off the fringe (can't judge how hard to hit it) but the hybrid putt works for me.

all the same..the general idea is to get the ball on the ground as quickly as possible and have it rolling instead of flying. The most common miss with any amateur when chipping is flying the ball too far. Well if you get the ball on the ground as soon as possible, it can't fly too far. Whatever club it takes to accomplish that, you should use.

My short game saves me on days when my swing doesn't work too well. But, I have shot my lowest scores only when my swing was clicking.

Which part of your game would you trade with a Tour pro? Your long game for theirs, or your short game and putting for theirs?

tough question....but I think I'd stick with my short game and take their incredible accuracy from distance

• 9 years later...
On 6/28/2010 at 6:54 AM, ks8829 said:

Gary Player was on Playing with the Pros on Golf Channel and he said an amateur if spending an hour to practice should practice 10 minutes on the long game and 50 minutes on the short game from 100 yards and in. He says that you spend 70% of your shots from within 100 yards.

Spend 90% of your practice time on the short game from within 100 yards to lower your handicap.

I met Gary about 20 yrs ago at a Charity Skins Game . He is a picture of health. Back then I could hit the ball 50 yds. Farther than now (68 back fusion. Now I have too practice the  short game more. By doing so I can score the same or lower than 20 yrs ago. 

Thanks Mr. Player for the great tip.

43 minutes ago, 1puttpete said:

Thanks Mr. Player for the great tip.

Nothing wrong with reading 10 year old threads, but I doubt your mention (quote from ks8829) will receive a response.
You mentioned having back problems in the other thread you recently started.
Maybe consider moving up a tee and enjoy the game.
Hitting long irons, hybrids an fairway metals all day long on par 4's will decrease your moral.
The game is for enjoyment and to test players skills IMO, is when a player uses every club in the bag during a round.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

HUTThank you for your comments.

I know no longer Tee fr the White  but rather the senior Silver tee. It works out because I play exclusively during the weekdays & most players are seniors. I keep pace w most players.  

Yes I thoroughly enjoy the game . After my fusion surgery in 2013 I gave my clubs to my Dr. Who got me walking again. I moved fr cold NY to warm Az. After 3 years  I felt better & got some used clubs and stayed on the driving range & putting green for 6 months.  I stated to play my score was up &.distance down. But I loved & missed it so much  I stuck w it. So now I'm scoring as good or slightly better sometimes.  My love & appreciation for the game grew even more ! Improving my short game will help me lower my score lower than ever. Yes I enjoy practicing & using every club in the bag. I have 4 Wedges 50- 56-60-65. I love hitting those soft high shots into the green. I also have a birth defect a left hand w no fingers.  But its never been an issue. The back problems are far worse.

Thank you again for your comments. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1puttpete said:

I moved fr cold NY to warm Az.

Nice …   :beer:
I've played an abundance of golf in AZ years ago, great area for year round golf.
Many courses have been built over the years there, most higher end $$ courses are Championship quality.

I try to keep play around the greens simple and only play highly skilled shots when required.
Get the ball on the green and let it roll out and hopefully it finds the hole. :whistle:

Often when players have 4 wedges in their bag, they tend to overthink shot options and select to play 
a more difficult attempt. The better players usually play the easier shot and often save more pars.

Sure, I often play a hop and stop, or a high lob to tough pin locations just for the fun of it.
Having a creative imagination and the skills to execute those shots, are great tools to have in the bag.

Glad to here your back in the game and enjoying it.
I would be a "Lost Soul" if I ever had to give up golf.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Nice …   :beer:
I've played an abundance of golf in AZ years ago, great area for year round golf.
Many courses have been built over the years there, most higher end $$ courses are Championship quality.

I try to keep play around the greens simple and only play highly skilled shots when required.
Get the ball on the green and let it roll out and hopefully it finds the hole. :whistle:

Often when players have 4 wedges in their bag, they tend to overthink shot options and select to play 
a more difficult attempt. The better players usually play the easier shot and often save more pars.

Sure, I often play a hop and stop, or a high lob to tough pin locations just for the fun of it.
Having a creative imagination and the skills to execute those shots, are great tools to have in the bag.

Glad to here your back in the game and enjoying it.
I would be a "Lost Soul" if I ever had to give up golf.

Thank you for your comments.

I agree with in making the shots around the green. I want to add that I've tried many clubs chipping just 10 -20 yds..fr the pin. I generally use a 8i , 56W, and recently a "Chipper ".   Fr 40 -50 yds.. out I feel more confident than the aforementioned chip. But I'm working more now on that short chip.

Thank you again for your comments in welcoming back to the game !! 😁

Note: This thread is 1531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!