IGNORED

Vanity handicapper!

hipcheck4u
Note: This thread is 5042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you mean?

i think in an earlier post you said "i've only played since September".. which is about 10 months..

i THINK that's what he meant (i thought the same thing.. but not doubting or slighting you.. more like bow down. holy mother..@#$@# i suck! thoughts).. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think in an earlier post you said "i've only played since September".. which is about 10 months..

I don't know really. I played cricket, soccer, rugby and tennis most of my life. Played golf for 2 months when I was 15 and got on the high school team then stopped playing after that till last September. I practice 3 hours a week and golf atleast once....my girlfriends stepfather is a 5 handicap and he teaches me chipping a lot. I take golf pretty seriously I guess? I really don't know. It came pretty naturally.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I don't know really. I played cricket, soccer, rugby and tennis most of my life. Played golf for 2 months when I was 15 and got on the high school team then stopped playing after that till last September. I practice 3 hours a week and golf atleast once....my girlfriends stepfather is a 5 handicap and he teaches me chipping a lot. I take golf pretty seriously I guess? I really don't know. It came pretty naturally.

neh...i call bullshit.

is this the same handicap you got like the handicap that Paz got?

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Thats up to you. I don't and never have cheated or bullshitted my way in any sport. I just work hard and practice. I play and practice to get better. But you can believe what you want

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

i dont doubt at all that someone could be good after not playing for too long. especially for a teenager who is athletic and with a teacher or mentor who actually knows what hes talking about.

but the annoying thing about a "vanity golfer" is not that he says he is better than what he plays like. it is that he mentions it and continues to mention it to protect his ego and as if you care. and then he probably will mention it some more.

someone i know and used to golf with would talk about how far he hits the ball and how well he putts constantly. any conversation about golf would turn to that. he couldnt his his irons worth a crap tho.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In my opinion, no friggin way......

While not a low single digit handicap, I have never had an eagle (for whatever reason). Through the years, I've probably had several dozen shots that have stopped within a few inches, but just never went in. Just today, I hit a wedge from 105 yards on a par 5 that ended about 2 inches away. But I almost never play any par 5s that are reachable in two for me (or par 4s in one) since I like to play from the tips if possible, so I'll need to get a hole-in-one on a par 3 or hole one from the fairway. Someday...

Well im around a 2, and i can tell you we do hit shanks, chunk pitch shots, flub chips, and snap hook drives OB. Sometimes, we don't even break 80! When im playing a casual round, i will often hit 2 or more shots if im the only guy out there. Sometimes ill be out on the course just trying to dial my ballstriking, and i wont putt at all. So i wouldn't judge a player based on 9 holes of play.

Agree! We all have bad days!

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

WOW.... I've had 3 eagles this year and I'm double digits. One I holed out from 200 yard after hooking my drive that hit a tree and bounced back at me. Talk about a great recovery. The other two came on the same short 520 par 5. But I've left about 4 putts short for birdie and a few wedge shots close too.......But I won't talk about my blow up holes..

I don't even make a lot of birdies... I maintain my handicap by simply being a par machine. Haven't had a double bogey since May 30th.

I would take that over my ups and downs!!

I would take that over my ups and downs!!

Hmmm... I would kind of prefer stuff like "par-DB-birdie-par-par-bogey-bogey-birdie-par"

Than all the "par-par-par-bogey-par-par-bogey-par-par" I have had. Makes it more interesting. xD

from personal experience eagles have more to do with the courses you play regularly than anything. Courses with long or tough par 5's are obviously going to yield less eagles than courses with 500 yard par 5's that are pretty wide open.

3-4 I probably had 6-10 eagles so a season from holed out shots or par 5's in 2. Last year I rarely played courses with reasonably reachable par 5's and consequently had 1 eagle and only maybe 3-4 chances the entire year (where as in previous years, I might have 1 chance a round depending on the course).

It happens.

I wouldnt have very many eagles at all at courses with par 5's over 530 or so. (A good drive and good 3 wood for me can probably get out there around 540 on a wind free warm/dry day)

I'm at risk of being a vanity capper. I can shoot the same 78-82 on a course rated 68 or 74. Not sure why, but I'm working on it. If I want a vanity index, I just play all my rounds at Alberta Springs which is rated as way harder than it actually is since long hitters can cut the corner on all four par-5s and a couple of the par 4s as well. It's kind of lame actually.

I'm having the same problem. I can't shoot my handicap on the course I play mens club at, it is making me feel like a fool. I can't make a putt there, and I 3 putt all the time. Believe it or not I recently shot 77 with 16 greens in reg.... KILL ME NOW

-----------------
Driver: Ping G20 10.5
4 wood: Ping G20 16.5
Hybrid: Ping I20 23

5-P: Cleveland CG16 tour

Wedge: Cleveland Cg16 56

Putter: Cleveland classic

Ball: Top Flite D2 feel

Im a high handicapper and although i havent had any eagles yet, ive had 2 eagle putts in the last 2 months or so. I drove a short par 4(about 245 yards) and reached another short par 5(452 yards) with a great drive and 7 iron and in both cases 2 putted for birdie. I almost chipped in on another short par 5 earlier this year, came up about 20 yards short on my 2nd and chipped to inside a foot. The courses around here arent long and it helps having par 5's under 500 yards. Ive been getting a lot more birdies this year but eagles are tough to get for anyone. But for all these great holes ill get the occasional 6 on a par 3 or 8 on a par 4 that ends up evening things out. Im usually getting bogeys for the most part with about 1-2 pars for every nine with at least one of the previously mentioned bad holes, usually in the mid to uppers 40's for 9 holes and struggling to keep it in the 90's for 18. I have noticed recently ive been getting a bit more distance with my irons, guess im finally making more consistent contact, im probably about a club longer that i was last year at this time, makes a difference on par 3's, shorter irons give me a better chance of hitting the green.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

There are some self admitted vanity handicappers here on this board. They sort their scores that are eligible for handicap posting, throwing out the high ones.

There are some self admitted "sandbaggers" here on this board too. They don't believe their low scores reflect their true handicap so they don't post them for handicap purposes.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I played last night on aerated greens and shot mid 90s I stopped caring halfway through cause the putting was soooo bad.

Ill be accused of sandbagging for the first 3 or 4 holes then POW! The hammer shows up and ruins my hole. Give me a triple!

Wow, where to begin with this discussion... Not that it is a bad one nor one that merits and arguments but I feel like a pompous prick after reading the post. 1st, I have never had a hole in one... I have had a couple of albatross but no hole in ones. I cannot even count how many eagles I have had in this year alone let alone in my lifetime. Personally, I really have a hard time believing a true 2 handicap has never had an eagle. I do not care what tees he plays from unless he plays Beth Page Black from the back tees. I play with a group of guys that has several 2 handicaps or lower and there are a crazy amount of eagles made week in and week out... Just my 2 cents...

Note: This thread is 5042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!