IGNORED

Phil blaming the weather

Note: This thread is 3992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did anyone see his post match interview?

He kept blaming the weather for his bad score.

Agreed, the later tee off times got the bad draw of the weather, but he is number 2 in the world, and he blames the weather for his poor score?

I saw other guys out there, that are ranked lower than him shoot 3 or 4 under......

Sometimes I just want to say Phuck Phil.....but other times he can just flat out play.

His short game is nothing but legendary.

But he has always come off a little whiney and having a "what about me" type of personality that keeps me from getting totally behind him. How many weekends has he had to be the World #1 and just can't pull it off?

It is a bit interesting. Curtis Strange (or maybe it was somebody else) kept mentioning early in today's broadcast that when he spoke to Phil at the driving range BEFORE yesterday's round he was already complaining about his misfortune in having to tee off late. That just doesn't seem like a good mentality to have when preparing to take the course.

Now, I really don't have a problem with his complaining. It just reminds me of how haters of certain golfers will selectively remember the positive attributes of their favorites and the negatives of the people they dislike, and not vice versa. During the US Open when Phil lit it up on Friday and Tiger was average and made the comment about the greens, there were several posters here using a catch phrase that "Tiger whines while Phil grinds," as if Tiger is a guy who perennially struggles to mentally stay in tournaments and always looks for excuses.

I remember Phil complaining about the greens at Quail Hollow earlier this year. And today this. But fans of his won't remember that if they choose not to. It's like the people who claim they love certain old-timers because they're so classy and "never threw clubs or got mad." I've seen video of Jack Nicklaus throwing a club on the course, but how many of the revisionist historians remember that? Does that make him any less classy? No. It makes him just as human as the rest of the field.

Brandon

phil plays in the wind like a jackass. Yesterday he hit a full high wedge into a 20mph wind and came up 30 yards short and right.

Why the hell would someone of his caliber not know to take more club and hit it low? Its going to spin anyway into the wind so you dont need to worry about the ball running away on you.

I dont get why its so hard for him to do that. When its that windy, I dont know why any of them are EVER taking full swings unless its completely down wind with your tee shot.

It is a bit interesting. Curtis Strange (or maybe it was somebody else) kept mentioning early in today's broadcast that when he spoke to Phil at the driving range BEFORE yesterday's round he was already complaining about his misfortune in having to tee off late. That just doesn't seem like a good mentality to have when preparing to take the course.

Very well said.

As much as I dislike Phil, it didn't seem like he was really blaming the weather today per se. He basically said it was the luck (or lack thereof) of the draw. He got back luck yesterday, and good luck today for the most part.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Man it was brutal out there.

Honestly, I don't care that much. I am a big phil fan and enjoy watching him play. I'd be irriated too if I got the worst of the draws to in one of the most important tourneys of his life. The only mistake he made was making his feelings public.

Mickelson's a great player...when the course and conditions suit him.
How many majors has he won? 4.
How many of those have been on perfectly set-up courses? 3.
How many of those have been at the same course? 3.

No more clues, folks.

Mickelson's a great player...when the course and conditions suit him.

is he really a great player, though? i mean, he's really damn good and has a great short game. but i honestly haven't seen greatness out him any more than say, lee westwood. all the talent he's got and he's only won 4 majors, 3 of which at the same place. i don't see how he can be ranked among the greats, he's squandered too many chances for that. he's been talking all year about how he wants to be world #1, but he can't surpass a tiger with a bad swing and a tumultuous personal life. tiger, arnie, tom, jack, et al have all had great talent, and they made the very best of it when it counted. phil has fallen well short of that, so i cannot rank him among the greats.

is he really a great player, though? i mean, he's really damn good and has a great short game. but i honestly haven't seen greatness out him any more than say, lee westwood. all the talent he's got and he's only won 4 majors, 3 of which at the same place. i don't see how he can be ranked among the greats, he's squandered too many chances for that. he's been talking all year about how he wants to be world #1, but he can't surpass a tiger with a bad swing and a tumultuous personal life. tiger, arnie, tom, jack, et al have all had great talent, and they made the very best of it when it counted. phil has fallen well short of that, so i cannot rank him among the greats.

He's at least Tom Weiskopf great. Or maybe even Lanny Wadkins great.

I too am amazed at how people "latch" on to top golfers. I love watching Tiger when he is on his game. The energy he brings to the course when things are going well is infectious. The same can be said of many athletes. I don't really have a favorite golfer, I just enjoy watching an athlete when everything comes together.

The flip side of that... I CAN NOT stand when I see a player drop/throw/release the club at the end of the swing on a sh!t shot (two names that come two mind are Tiger and Anthony Kim). Drives me absolutely crazy! IMO It's basically the same thing as whipping a club down the fairway or into the lake. GROW UP!!

I never used to be a Phil fan at all. In fact I disliked the way he seemed to carry himself. Always looked to me like he felt "entitled". After watching his short game video I was able to set that aside somehow and view him differently. I still don't think of myself as a Phil Fan, but I have a different perspective on him now. Is he whiny? Maybe. So am I sometimes, but I don't have a camera in my face.

is he really a great player, though?

Ridiculous question, and to say his major wins are tarnished somewhat due to winning at the same place 3 times, is just laughable too. He's number 2 in the world, in the most competitive era the game has known in terms of depth and quality.

Anyone who makes a living on any tour is a great player in my opinion. Even watching the lower rated players in person amazes me with the talent they have.

Ridiculous question, and to say his major wins are tarnished somewhat due to winning at the same place 3 times, is just laughable too. He's number 2 in the world, in the most competitive era the game has known in terms of depth and quality.

how is it ridiculous? he's flat out given away 5 majors in the last couple holes, two or three of which on the very last hole. that is most definitely not greatness. it's like calling john daly great. they've both got all the talent anybody could ever want, but it largely goes unused.

Note: This thread is 3992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!