IGNORED

Dear angry man at the range

golfro
Note: This thread is 3429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I watched you come in with your brand spankin new set of Taylormade irons, driver, FW, wedges, with a scotty cameron putter...in your brand spankin new giant Taylormade Staff Tour bag...brand new TM gloves on, brand new Adidas shoes on, and you were dressed head to toe in matching Adidas clothing. Oakley sunglasses. You even had a TM marker clipped on your hat.

Unfortuantely i dont get to see that too often - but when i do, i grab a chair and get ready to enjoy the show - this is ALWAYS a beginner and he will entertain you for sure.

Just make sure you dont sit directly behind you, he might be able to top-backspin one directly in your face BTW. i dont really care what other people play, i play my old stuff as good as my new stuff so i come to the conclusion that its not the equipment that matters most, but when people decide to go the equipment route and they are having fun with it (i mean we all have been there right?) then i think thats great.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I love this. As crappy as my stuff is, I hit it good. I'll probably switch to hybrids when my Dunlop 5W finally breaks.... If you hit it well, it ain't no thing. If you spend a bunch of money and you hit it bad? it's beautiful for the rest of us folks who can't afford what you have. Karma over Capitalism makes MOST people happy. Enjoy it.

In my Stratus bag:
Driver DymoSQ 10.5*
3 Wood DymoSQ 13*
3H Burner High Launch 19*
Irons Tour SpecialWedge Classic Grind 56*Putter Dual Force 668Balls Burner

I'm not a great golfer as this is my first year. But I am a guy that likes owning nice stuff. Not that all of my gear is exceptional, but do I really need a $400 putter? Nope. But I sure feel good having it in my bag.

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

Bingo!

Nah, you guys still aren't getting it. You're not talking about the same person as the OP. Go back and read the original post.

The guy was a buffoon because he ACTED like a buffoon. Not because he had nice gear. The nice gear was just the icing on the cake.

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

Like I said, these guys exist in every sport. But you know who else exists in every sport, the super judgmental “purists”. The guys that can judge you because they use a hodge-podge set of clubs and they are “keeping it real”. Maybe the guy thought to himself, why spend $500 on a set I am going to trade out and then buy a good set, why don’t just by the good set now and save myself the first $500? Maybe he asked his staff pro that he is taking lessons from, what he should buy and his staff pro sold him on his brand (because that is what he is sponsored to do)…

Well said.

I mean, look at guys on tour. Someone says to "act like a pro", what does that even mean? Am I acting like a pro if I throw my putter in the drink or cuss up a storm or act like jerk to anyone around me after a bad shot? Maybe this guy was having a bad day or even going through some life difficulties. You never know.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I actually have seen a guy like that in a range. The guy was screaming at every bad shot he made. I just hope he'll stop playing golf in the future.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

• 4 years later...

I wont say that I can tell how good someone is just by what is in their bag or how clean and neat their equipment is or how they are dressed.

The better golfers or at least those that have golfed for a while will know what woods,irons, wedges and putters they like and often it is not from the same manufacturer.

So the generalization made here is that those with matching woods, irons and putters have purchased them as a first set.

For myself I have always liked Mizuno irons and that includes the wedges.

I tend to stick to Ping drivers and woods.

My putters are all over the map and I have at least one putter from every major manufacturer except TaylorMade.

One odd observation is that I see most of the better players have a very organized bag. They don't just throw their clubs back in their bag in a haphazard manner. Of course that is just a generalization and I am sure I will hear from low cappers saying they just throw their clubs in their bags without any thought.

I fly radio controlled planes.  So this guy shows up to the field with a really beautiful plane.  We are all admiring it and asking questions.  He says he built it himself from a kit, but he still had probably 200 hours into it.  We ask him if he's ever flown before and he says yes, he's a pilot.  We try to tell him it's not the same.  He insists that don't worry, he's got this.  So, predictably, he throttles up, makes it to the end of the runway, flips the plane over and deposits a pile of kindling on the ground.  So many hours of labor and a significant dollar amount are reduced to zero in an instant.

Point is, confidence doesn't always translate into competence.  The college athlete or succesful business man who have always had everything go thier way will pick up a golf club and fail miserably.  Some will learn a lesson, regroup and get better while others will just become angry guy with matching gear.

Occam's razor

Posers, hahaha!

Funny this old thread pops up now.

So I was peer pressured into a round at Torrey Pines south this past Sunday. The normal $35 public courses I play rarely have posers, but I guess Torrey south is expensive enough to attract them. Its tough enough normally, but they are growing the rough up for the coming tournament, it was a 6 hour grind. Wet too, no roll.

And yet, there's the guy on the first tee, playing the blues (7000 yards, max 5 hdcp per the scorecard) looking and acting the pro. Then he swings. Oh no we are behind this guy? Let the grind begin ;-)

OTOH, we are practice putting and there's this old guy (my age haha) with sun bleached clothes and hat, wielding a (no it can't be) it is! an 8802, an old one! I was surprised my golf buddies had never heard of an 8802. I hadn't seen one in years. I complimented him on it. Wanted to look in his bag (an old stand bag) but didn't want him to think I was going to steal his clubs. He played 2 or 3 groups ahead of us, very smooth. Just the opposite of the poser.

Steve

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Damn, that was me on the range, swearing after every bad shot.   I had my reasons.  My dog just passed away, my Alma Mater football team finished with 1 and 12 record, I hit a parked car while backing up, my only child moved back, my in-laws decided to stay one more month, and list just goes on and on.   Apparently, I am not alone.   Half of the golfers I get matched up with grunts, yells, and swears after every bad shot and claims to be a lot better than "this."   Some throws up their clubs in disgust and won't fix divots caused by their throws.   There are no bad golfers, just bad days.  I am a living proof.  I had over 500 bad rounds except one when I broke par (or was it my putter I broke?).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

At the range today, I was taking video. I flare one and just under my breath drop one. The mic picks it up. The swing didn't look bad, but I can't use that one. Then, I hit a beauty. The guy two stalls down goes off like Bobby Knight. Well I can't use that one. Bad things happen and we move on.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

You know what's funny? My dad is that guy at the range lol. He decided he was going to play golf. So the first step, of course, is to run out and buy top of the line gear. To go with that gear, of course, he needed a bunch of clothes, expensive golf shoes, a huge umbrella, yada yada. He played golf about 5 times total - cursing and swearing the whole time. He literally will take a horrid swing, miss the ball completely and then swear about it, lol. He did exact same thing only worse with fly fishing. He has several VERY expensive fly rods and all the gear. Fished about twice, lol. The ultimate cruelty is that he is friggin LEFT HANDED!!! Otherwise there coulda been a silver lining in this for me lol

Lol, I've seen guys like that before... and then I've seen guys who , you'd think are hacks and the just kill the ball ....and you walk away going wtf I would of never thought that guy could strike the ball so well

It is what it is

Note: This thread is 3429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!