IGNORED

Long rounds - practicing chipping during wait time

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here in the land of the six hour round, when there is 5-10 minutes between holes, I usually put as much distance between my playing partners, go off somewhere and work on little chips, making certain they don't go too far.

After years of doing this, a ranger gave me grief for doing this. I chipped away from people, and the chips were only going 5 yards or so. I have a decent short game, so I'm not going to shank one off the trees.

Is chipping during rounds a no-no? Or is it ok in certain conditions?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Technically, its practicing during a stipulated round, which isn't allowed in the rule of golf. But practically, i don't see an issue with it. It doesn't bother me, any.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

If I didn't distract myself by chipping while waiting on a slow group, I'd go nuts. I say chip away. I understand it's not "legal", but in a casual round who cares. Just be sure that if there's someone behind you you're doing it well away from any place where you can distract them while they're hitting...otherwise I don't see how it could hurt anyone else on the course.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Sometimes they don't want you to chip because they think you'll end up digging a ton of divots. I've seen some hackers make a mess of the tee box area by playing around with flop shots, etc.

On backed up par-3s sometimes the only way to remain sane is to hit various chipshots into the divot repair bucket. As long as it's not a tournament who cares? The guy who told you to stop had probably encountered some idiots tearing up the turf or hitting people.

Fore!

On backed up par-3s sometimes the only way to remain sane is to hit various chipshots into the divot repair bucket.

That is one of my favorites. We'll also do quick $1 bets to see who can hit the tee marker from the opposite end of the tee box in the least strokes using only a driver or sand wedge, etc. H-o-r-s-e is also a good tee box time killer (i.e., call a shot, execute, and your opponent has to match).

Sometimes they don't want you to chip because they think you'll end up digging a ton of divots. I've seen some hackers make a mess of the tee box area by playing around with flop shots, etc.

I forget to mention I most definitely do not chip from the tee box, I'm not going to undo the good work of the maintenance crew. I'll chip where the rough is least grown or where divots won't make a difference since the area is already so dug up or I'll intentionally make as small of a divot I can. I'll also look for an open area. Of course, won't do it during a tournament, just during a casual round.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Technically, its practicing during a stipulated round, which isn't allowed in the rule of golf. But practically, i don't see an issue with it. It doesn't bother me, any.

According to 7-2:

7-2. During Round A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole. Between the play of two holes, a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near: (a) the putting green of the hole last played, (b) any practice putting green, or (c) the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7). Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.

7-1 allows the Committee to prohibit this during competition but that doesn't apply here.

7-1 allows the Committee to prohibit this during competition but that doesn't apply here.

When we are dealing with practising

during round it is 7-2 but otherwise You are completely correct. Practising chipping as described in the OP is allowed unless specifically prohibited (by the Committee). And I do agree with others, while waiting there is nothing more useful than exercise one's short game.

We play a game called poison where you start on one side of the tee box marker and hit your ball to the other. Once you hit it you have to hit the other tee marker and then you are free game to try and hit your opponents balls to knock them out. Probably didn't explain that well enough, but it's a fun game!
S9-1 Offset 10.5*
S2 3-W
S9-1 5-W
CPR Rescue 3 Hybrid
AP1 IronsVokey Wedges 56* and 60* Ghost Putter                                                                     Low Score l 71, Par 72 Tiffany Greens (6 Birdies/5 Bogeys)

What a great ranger. Instead of trying to speed up play so it didn't take 6 hours to play a round of golf, he gives you grief because you are held up and need to kill time. Of course, it takes effort to try and speed up play around the golf course, and I'm sure he would tell you, "I don't get paid enough for that kind of thing"

Rounds like that are absolutely mind-numbing.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Here in the land of the six hour round, when there is 5-10 minutes between holes, I usually put as much distance between my playing partners, go off somewhere and work on little chips, making certain they don't go too far.

During a tournament or money game you mite get some grief cuz it mite come under, "testing the ground". Other than that I really don't see any problem with it, lol, and I do it also.

When we are dealing with practising

Actually what the OP is doing is not allowed under the rules. He said that he specifically does NOT do it on the teeing ground. If he is doing it anywhere else except the putting green of the last hole played or the next teeing ground then he is in breach of 7-2.

During a tournament or money game you mite get some grief cuz it mite come under, "testing the ground". Other than that I really don't see any problem with it, lol, and I do it also.

Such practice is NOT testing the ground (there is no prohibition about just generally testing the ground through the green). You are not allowed to to test the condition of a hazard, nor are you allowed to rub, scrape or otherwise test the surface of a putting green. There is no such prohibition otherwise. As stated above though, it is a breach of 7-2 if it is done anyplace except as allowed under the rules.

I quite commonly chip on the tee box when I have an extended wait. It's good practice and it IS allowed in the Rules of Golf, and I don't take a divot when just chipping anyway. I don't hit high pitches, just running chips, so I don't dig up the tee boxes. I do it in Men's Club tournaments, and I do it in casual rounds. But I do it as the rules prescribe it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Actually what the OP is doing is not allowed under the rules. He said that he specifically does NOT do it on the teeing ground. If he is doing it anywhere else except the putting green of the last hole played or the next teeing ground then he is in breach of 7-2.

I believe you are mistaken because 7-2 says "on or near" the last green, the next tee box or any practice green (unless from a hazard). Stepping a few hards off the tee box and chipping back and forth should qualify as 'near'.

I do the same thing, but I know it not during a match or an offical round.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I believe you are mistaken because 7-2 says "on or near" the last green, the next tee box or any practice green (unless from a hazard). Stepping a few hards off the tee box and chipping back and forth should qualify as 'near'.

It's such a pain when someone reads EVERY word in a rule, then throws it in your face.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

i play poison, has anyone else ever done this

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!